VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm asking for editing 4K native camera footage of decent high bit rates using adobe Premiere pro. Are typical Sata3 SSD's fast enough for 2-3 videos in a multicam setup? The cost of these really fast SSD's are already half the cost of a high end desktop for me.

I have seen some laptops that can be configured with at least two 1TB M.2 ssd's that only advertise around 500MB/s read. Why so slow?

I also wan't to know so I can decide if an external USB3.1 drive like the samsung T3 is plenty of speed or not really enough?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Gurd99 View Post
    I'm asking for editing 4K native camera footage of decent high bit rates using adobe Premiere pro. Are typical Sata3 SSD's fast enough for 2-3 videos in a multicam setup? The cost of these really fast SSD's are already half the cost of a high end desktop for me.

I have seen some laptops that can be configured with at least two 1TB M.2 ssd's that only advertise around 500MB/s read. Why so slow?

I also wan't to know so I can decide if an external USB3.1 drive like the samsung T3 is plenty of speed or not really enough?

thanks
    speed is limited by I/O interface - PCIe is nothing more than very fast I/O interface - side to such SSD doesn't need to emulate storage protocol.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Originally Posted by Gurd99 View Post

thanks
    speed is limited by I/O interface - PCIe is nothing more than very fast I/O interface - side to such SSD doesn't need to emulate storage protocol.
    What on earth is this suppose to mean? And how does its answer my q's?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Figure out what bitrate you are going to need guaranteed for your quality (so include buffer), and work your way back looking at all links in the chain. That will give you an indication of what technologies will be compatible.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Could also do RAID, were you just use normal HDDs but write different chunks to different drives. Giving you SDD speeds but cheaper.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm turning into a stuck record today, but consider using a proxy workflow rather than trying to cut at full resolution. Premiere makes it incredibly easy.

After your editing is done you flatten your multicam sequence and link back to the camera original for output.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    Could also do RAID, were you just use normal HDDs but write different chunks to different drives. Giving you SDD speeds but cheaper.
    Don't the speeds slow down pretty bad once you fill the HDD's up to around 40-50%? And wouldn't RAID HDD still have pretty slow access times?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gurd99 View Post
    Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    Don't the speeds slow down pretty bad once you fill the HDD's up to around 40-50%? And wouldn't RAID HDD still have pretty slow access times?
    Usually the difference between the speed of the outter part of the platter (fastest) and the inner part of the platter (slowest) is about half the speed of the outter plater, in benchmarks I did on my own drive a few years ago.

Looked something like this (example of a 1TB 7200rpm drive). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive_performance_characteristics#/media/File:...NOME_Disks.png

A HDD usually has an access time of around 10ms (20ms-5ms) as plotted with green dots in the provided picture. Which certainly can't beat an SSD's <1ms times but I'm not sure that it's something I need. On a heavily fragmented HDD, like a boot drive with lots of programs and lots of small delete/write cycles the clutter can become a big problem, when you are having to access 1000s of fragments of a file across a drive. But in your situation I assume you are going to be regularly deleting all/most the data off these drives and so this fragment clutter should not become a problem.

Something I have done in the past on a single drive (no RAID) is partitioned the first 1TB of a drive and then partition the rest of the drive as a second partition. The first partition will be given the fastest outter platters and the second was given the rest of the inner part of the platters. So I kind of used the first partition for editing on or recording on, and then just used the second partition for storage and what not. But partitioning with RAID is beyond my knowledge at the moment. Came accross this though. https://larryjordan.com/articles/improve-raid-speed-with-partitions/

Personally SSDs make great boot drives and drives for storing programs. Just not sure I would recommend them for editing massive amounts of video data, unless you can afford it. And with video data, there never really seems to be enough storage. Always needing more.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Gurd99 View Post
    The point of a RAID is you aren't accessing multiple (possibly fragmented) streams of high bitrate video simultaneously from a single drive. It can help a lot.
    Quote Quote