VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,
    I'm a newbie about dvd ripping et similia.

I have a dvd without protection and from the menu I can navigate in the chapters.

Now I have used dvd-shrink to rip the dvd but the output is only one big mpeg video.
    Do you know if I can (maybe using some kind of tool) to rip the single chapters stated in the dvd menu?

I have a lot of dvds and I would like to avoid to use virtual-dub to divide the file.

Thanks for your help.
    TS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by two_socks View Post
    Now I have used dvd-shrink to rip the dvd but the output is only one big mpeg video.
    DVDShrink can output one, giant MPEG file but that option is NOT the default setting.
    Preferences
    Output Files
    (check) Split VOB files into 1GB chunks
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by two_socks View Post
    DVDShrink can output one, giant MPEG file but that option is NOT the default setting.
    Preferences
    Output Files
    (check) Split VOB files into 1GB chunks
    I'm not interested to divide the dvd in size but in the dvd's chapters.
    On the dvd there are some episodes and I would like to extract these singular episodes

Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    DVD Decrypter (Freeware)
    Ok, I have tried with DVD Decrypter but now I have more chapters than the original dvd.
    I have used the IFO mode and splitted the DVD by chapters.
    On the dvd's menu I have 6 chapters but with dvd decrypter I have 49 chapters

I think the dvd's menu uses a time tag to decide where to start the video, and maybe this information is stored somewhere.
    Is it possible to use this info to cut the whole movie and extract/aggregate these "not-standard" chapter?
    Quote Quote  
  4. DVD Decrypter shows you the chapters that's actually on your DVD. However your menu just has 6 buttons each pointing to a certain chapter where to start playing. If you use a stand-alone player and use one of these buttons to start play and then press the "Next" (or possible arrow) you will notice it jumps to the next chapter which don't correspond to one of the buttonss on your menu.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    DVD Decrypter shows you the chapters that's actually on your DVD. However your menu just has 6 buttons each pointing to a certain chapter where to start playing. If you use a stand-alone player and use one of these buttons to start play and then press the "Next" (or possible arrow) you will notice it jumps to the next chapter which don't correspond to one of the buttonss on your menu.
    I'm using vlc on my pc and with the "next" button I come back at the dvd's menu.
    Anyway, do you know if there is tricks to rip the dvd's menu chapter?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You are making NO SENSE whatsoever. You are probably calling "titles" chapters.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    You are making NO SENSE whatsoever. You are probably calling "titles" chapters.
    Sorry but I don't know the right nomenclature.

I simply would like to avoid to split (or merge) manually the mpeg video when somebody else put these tags for me
    Quote Quote  
  8. Open the ripped files with DVDShrink and use it's re-author mode. In the right pane you'll see a title (or a bunch of titles). Normally it'd be a title for the movie or a title per episode and you'd drag the appropriate titles from the right pane to the left, use the backup function, and you'd have a single vob file or a single "set" of vob files for each title (depending on whether you set DVDShrink to split vob files into 1GB segments or not).

To do the above by chapter:
    In re-author mode, drag a title from the right pane to the left. Use the edit button above the title in the left pane to select the start and end chapters. It can be a single chapter or the start and end points can be wherever you like, but DVDShrink can set them by chapter for you.
    Next drag the same title from the right pane to the left again. Highlight it in the left pane, use the edit function to select a different start and end chapter.
    Drag the same title from the right pane to the left again..... etc. etc.
    When you're done, use the backup function. The output will contain a vob file per chapter etc.

DVDShrink lets you edit with a preview so it shouldn't be hard to work out where you're at and whether you're working with the correct title if there's more than one.

Is that the sort of thing you're referring to?

Don't forget, when ripping/re-authoring with DVDShrink, if you're intention is to then re-encode the video (convert it to AVI/MKV etc) you don't want DVDShrink to do any re-encoding itself. You just want it to copy the video/audio when ripping/re-authoring. By default, it's set to output a target size of DVD5 (four point something GB). I go into DVDShrinks settings and change that to something huge so I never need to worry about DVDShrink trying to re-encode when I'm just wanting to use it for ripping/re-authoring.

I suggested opening the ripped files with DVDShrink as you've already ripped them, but when working with unprotected discs, or discs with copy protection DVDShrink can handle, there's no reason why you can't rip and re-author at the same time.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 3rd Sep 2013 at 08:58.
    Quote Quote