VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all, I wonder if it is possible to burn shorter HD (720p) clips on standard DVD and play it on blu-ray device such as PS3? I ask this since blu-ray burner is still very expensive. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Is it possible? Yes. Others have reported being able to play BluRay format burned to DVD discs (both single and double layer) on some BluRay players, including the PS3.

Does it work every time? No. Various factors don't lead to 100% success.
    Media quality might play a role (that means some disc brands might work better than others) and frankly BluRay players are just bitchy about what they play back from burnable media.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes it's possible ,and as stated above not 100% successful every time,in which case,you need to re-encode to make it PS3 compatible..But give us some details on a sample clip,so we can offer some help/tips...
    Use MediaInfo....
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info. I have clips about 30m in different format like WMV, DIVIX (1280x720) , etc. So I just need to re-encode it to the blu-ray format? What tools should I use to author it to the DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can use a commercial blu-ray software like ArcSoft TotalMedia Extreme or try the free RipBot264. Just burn the output on a DVDr instead of blu-ray media.

And this is not blu-ray to avi/mkv, it's more blu-ray authoring/converting. Moving you.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK many thanks, will check out the free software as I don't do this much!
    Quote Quote