VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A friend has a CD, which is about 12 years old, which he is trying to copy. It is a burned CD, not pressed, but sold commercially. The company that sold it is from Germany, if that has any bearing on things. Neither of his drives will recognize it, nor will any of my drives. One drive that I have says that it is 702 Megs and is .raw files, but doesn't show any file names. In fact the disc shows as blank. As far as I know, this disc hasn't been played in many years. It is a CD of audio files. Searching for .raw files, I find that they are some kind of picture file. but found one listing for .raw audio files that can be opened by Adobe Audition.
    Is the .raw listing valid or is the disc dead and this is what is showing? I seem to remember that, years ago, CDR's were not as stable as they are today.
    I looked on the Adobe site for Audition. I don't think that my friend wants to spend $200 to open an $8 disc. If this actually is a disc of .raw files, is there something open source or free that could be used?
    Thanks.
    Oh, I should have mentioned, we tried to play it on a few standalone CD players, with no luck.
    Quote Quote  
  2. it's quite possible that a 12 year old burned cd is just dead and can't be read at all. check the top (non-plastic) surface for scratches as that is where the media is. also hold it up to a strong light and look through it from the bottom, if there are any discolored or transparent areas it's most likely not readable.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Maybe give isobuster a try
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Back then, a .RAW file was a .PCM file without a header. Just get the file off the CD, then change the extention to .PCM and it should work (if it isn't corrupted).

Cool Edit can play the file - you should be able to find it at almost any shareware site (although it is now a part of Adobe - Audition is the Adobe version of CE Pro).
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  5. Audacity can import raw PCM data.
    Quote Quote