VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi, what is the best procedure to deinterlace a PAL DVD to 50p and add horizontal and vertical black bars around to make it 720p without scaling the original video?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by wall_ View Post
    Hi, what is the best procedure to deinterlace a PAL DVD to 50p and add horizontal and vertical black bars around to make it 720p without scaling the original video?

"Best" in terms of what criteria ? ease of use ?

Likely you still need to do some scaling because "720p" if you mean 1280x720, is usually a square pixel format (1:1), but DVD-video never is (4:3 and 16:9). If you want the aspect ratio correct (circles look like circles, instead of "ovals"), you'd need to deinterlace, scale, then add the letterbox/pillarbox borders .

Why are you doing this ? What is the destination format / goal ?

Why don't you want to "scale ?"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Best in terms of quality.
    The source is a 4:3 PAL DVD, so, 768x576 and I want to maintain that resolution inside a 1280x720 frame with black bars all around.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Probably avisynth's QTGMC for overall deinterlacing quality . The scaling algorithm used (you're still scaling 720 => 768) can also slightly affect quality (e.g. if source is soft you might choose sharper kernal). Then add borders

What is your final format ? How is it going to be watched ? You posted in DVD authoring forum, but it's not DVD authoring
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I don't think you understand, 768x576 fits inside 1280x720 so I don't need to scale anything, here's an example, red is 1280x720 and black is 768x576:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	768x576 inside 1280x720.png
Views:	120
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	41827
    Quote Quote  
  6. There is no 768x576 on DVD. DVDs are always anamorphic and thus always have to be scaled for display. Also, DVDs use chroma-subsampling while modern displays do not. That alone would need scaling even if the picture wasn't anamorphic.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD video is not 768x576 it's 720x576
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Oh sorry, he meant the real horizontal resolution of DVDs.
    It's meant to be played on a device that will only accept 720p resolution. I muxed the source into an MKV instead of separate VOBs.
    I never used Avisynth.
    Last edited by wall_; 7th Jun 2017 at 11:57.
    Quote Quote