VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm wanting to record TV content, without a cable box from my cable company, and I think a workable solution would be a DVD Recorder. However, after the recording and finalization of the disc, the computers would probably not be able to see the recorded content on the disc, which would appear blank on both Windows and Mac OS. Is there any way for either computer to see the recorded content on the disc and then be able to be copied from the disc to the computer and then edited in a video editing software? This is just a theory.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JackSpicer0 View Post
    I'm wanting to record TV content, without a cable box from my cable company, and I think a workable solution would be a DVD Recorder. However, after the recording and finalization of the disc, the computers would probably not be able to see the recorded content on the disc, which would appear blank on both Windows and Mac OS. Is there any way for either computer to see the recorded content on the disc and then be able to be copied from the disc to the computer and then edited in a video editing software? This is just a theory.
    I have been using DVD recorders since 2005. After finalization, a DVD+R or DVD-R disc should be readable by any functional DVD drive on a Windows PC. I can easily copy files from a finalized DVD to a Windows PC and edit them with MPEG-VCR.

However, recording cable TV without hooking the DVD recorder to a cable box could be a problem. It you are in the USA, the major cable companies have eliminated analog service and encrypt all their digital channels, so no channels are watchable (or recordable) without using a cable box. To find out what channels the DVD recorder will be able record, hook a digital TV up to the cable directly, and scan for channels. The analog and unencrypted digital channels the TV finds in its scan will be the only ones the DVD recorder can to record.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I'm wanting to record TV content, without a cable box from my cable company, and I think a workable solution would be a DVD Recorder. However, after the recording and finalization of the disc, the computers would probably not be able to see the recorded content on the disc, which would appear blank on both Windows and Mac OS. Is there any way for either computer to see the recorded content on the disc and then be able to be copied from the disc to the computer and then edited in a video editing software? This is just a theory.
    I have been using DVD recorders since 2005. After finalization, a DVD+R or DVD-R disc should be readable by any functional DVD drive on a Windows PC. I can easily copy files from a finalized DVD to a Windows PC and edit them with MPEG-VCR.

However, recording cable TV without hooking the DVD recorder to a cable box could be a problem. It you are in the USA, the major cable companies have eliminated analog service and encrypt all their digital channels, so no channels are watchable (or recordable) without using a cable box. To find out what channels the DVD recorder will be able record, hook a digital TV up to the cable directly, and scan for channels. The analog and unencrypted digital channels the TV finds in its scan will be the only ones the DVD recorder can to record.
    Thanks for the reply. I do, in fact, live in the USA. Yeah, it might be a problem now than in the past because of the analog to digital transition from cable companies and the fact that they do encrypt digital channels. I wonder if I can go the digital route and get rid of DVD recorders and instead get a cable box, hook up a video capture device, and a computer together to be able to record. But, then there are copy protection flags in the cable box and connections, so this might be an even tricker task to record content.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not might - IS trickier.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Trickier, but not all that difficult.

Capturing from composite or component output is fairly simple if you just get a capture device that ignores the copy protection flags. My older model Hauppauge HD PVR works just fine for this, and plugs into the laptop USB port.

Capturing over HDMI is trickier, but not vastly so. The trick is to buy the right kit. There is a thread here on stripping HDCP, which is what you will need to do to get a signal that you can feed to a capture device. Then you need a capture device that can cope with the signal.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply. I do, in fact, live in the USA. Yeah, it might be a problem now than in the past because of the analog to digital transition from cable companies and the fact that they do encrypt digital channels. I wonder if I can go the digital route and get rid of DVD recorders and instead get a cable box, hook up a video capture device, and a computer together to be able to record. But, then there are copy protection flags in the cable box and connections, so this might be an even tricker task to record content.
    Yes, speaking from experience it is trickier to use a capture device to record. This year I set up an HTPC and bought a Hauppauge Colossus to record HD channels using NextPVR. The Colossus can record from analog component video connections, and from HDMI with the right HDMI splitter installed. I can use NextPVR to schedule recordings, and even change channels on the cable box to record when I'm not around to monitor the process, although I probably couldn't go on vacation and record all the shows I'd miss. The Colossus needs to be rebooted periodically. Sometimes it even needs a cold boot (reboot with residual power drained from the PC). The upside is that I can keep my cablebox, and not incur additional fees for renting more or different equipment from my cable provider, and all my recordings are portable. The downside is that only one channel can be recorded at a time and it isn't possible to watch one cable channel while recording another.

The least tricky way to record encrypted digital cable is with a CableCARD tuner, which requires renting a CableCARD from your cable provider as well as buying the tuning device. Newer CableCARD tuners have 2 to 6 tuners so you can watch one channel and record at least one other channel using only one CableCARD. CableCARDs also cost somewhat less than renting a cable box. Under some circumstances they may even be free. However, there are downsides to them as well. If you want recordings to be portable, that may or may not be possible. It depends on whether the channel being recorded is marked copy-freely or not. Some providers mark everything copy-once, except for local channels. Also, CableCARD tuners don't provide access to interactive features like on-demand programming.

In case you are wondering why am I not using a CableCARD tuner myself, it actually would have been a good solution for me in some respects. My recordings would be portable because provider is using copy-freely on the channels in my package at present. Unfortunately, I wanted to keep my cable box for a various reasons, including access to free on-demand programming, but since my provider charges almost as much for a CableCARD as they do for renting a cable box when the customer already has a cable box, I was reluctant to add another fee to my monthly bill.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 29th Sep 2014 at 10:45.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hey, all. I found this link and my situation is similar to this thread/post below:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/1317647-hauppauge-hd-pvr-vs-blackmagic...topics/1317647

But, the only difference and similarities between the thread above and mine is that I'm going to be getting an Intensity Shuttle for my computer to record both game play content and tv content but not at the same time and my cable company is Cox. Plus, the thread is old so I don't know if the "Firewire" method would still work in present time when capturing from the cable box. I think the only issue would be the "5c Copy-Once or Copy-Never flags". I would be using component cables since it's only way I'm able to record gameplay footage with the Intensity Shuttle because of HDCP built into the PS3.

For anyone wanting to know, my computer is a late 2012 Mac Mini with an Intel Core i7 Quad-core processor, stock 4GB RAM, and 1TB hard disk drive. Oh, and I'm going to be recording content from Disney Channel. I would record from Disney Channel HD, but I don't have a cable box to do that. I know that the resolution, based on the info given on the wiki pages, is 720p. Yes, "720p" is actually 1280 by 720. SD content on channel 38 is 480i, which is actually 720 by 480. Not sure about the frame rate for the 720p HD version of Disney Channel. I am wanting to know if I can record from a cable box with no problems. However, there seems to be a flickering issue when using any of the Intensity Shuttle devices based on my research on the Internet. I contacted Black Magic Design's support and they said that the flickering issue/problem is due to the capture source and not the Shuttle or the firmware itself. Sorry if I'm too specific.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since you already spoke with Blackmagic support, I guess you already know the ThunderBolt version of the Intensity Shuttle is the one your want for your Mac and know that capturing uncompressed video is probably not the way you would want to start off with this device. The Intensity Shuttle doesn't strike me as a particularly beginner-friendly capture option, but I guess you don't care to hear that. The HD-PVR 2 with HDPVR Capture 3.4.4 would be another possible solution you could look into for recording on a Mac.

Many cable providers have disabled Firewire output on their boxes because the FCC has eliminated the legal requirement to provide it, or they use 5c to copy-protect everything, so Firewire recording probably won't work. ...but if you have a Mac with a Firewire 400 port and a Firewire 400 cable, I have read that it is easy enough to try it and see what happens. It sounds like Disney's HD channel isn't in your package, so the SD version is the only one that even has a chance of working. Firewire capture delivers an MPEG-2 TS stream. 720p is 59.94 frames per second. 480i is 29.97 frames per second with two fields per frame which becomes 59.94 frames per second when the TV deinterlaces it for display.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 29th Sep 2014 at 12:55.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Since you already spoke with Blackmagic support, I guess you already know the ThunderBolt version of the Intensity Shuttle is the one your want for your Mac and know that capturing uncompressed video is probably not the way you would want to start off with this device. The Intensity Shuttle doesn't strike me as a particularly beginner-friendly capture option, but I guess you don't care to hear that. The HD-PVR 2 with HDPVR Capture 3.4.4 would be another possible solution you could look into for recording on a Mac.

Many cable providers have disabled Firewire output on their boxes because the FCC has eliminated the legal requirement to provide it, or they use 5c to copy-protect everything, so Firewire recording probably won't work. ...but if you have a Mac with a Firewire 400 port and a Firewire 400 cable, I have read that it is easy enough to try it and see what happens. It sounds like Disney's HD channel isn't in your package, so the SD version is the only one that even has a chance of working. Firewire capture delivers an MPEG-2 TS stream. 720p is 59.94 frames per second. 480i is 29.97 frames per second with two fields per frame which becomes 59.94 frames per second when the TV deinterlaces it for display.
    At first, I was going with uncompressed, but I was convinced that Apple ProRes is the way to go. Yes, the Shuttle isn't user or beginner friendly, but everything has a challenge. I'm pretty beginner to average computer knowledge. Non of the more advanced stuff. I looked at the HD PVR, but with it's on board compression, I don't want to get it and due to its physical size. Seeing as compressing already compressed content will degrade video quality. But, if the Shuttle doesn't work, then I have no choice but to go with the Elgato Game Capture HD since the recording format is the same as the HD PVR, however, its physical size is smaller.

I have a firewire 800 port on my Mac and no Firewire cable. Which software would be preferred if I happen to be needing to use the Firewire option to capture? Yeah, Disney Channel HD isn't in my TV package because of the lack of a cable box. However, I can hopefully get a cable box if my parents will let me and I'd be happy to pay the monthly fee for the cable box and installation fees, too.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

At first, I was going with uncompressed, but I was convinced that Apple ProRes is the way to go. Yes, the Shuttle isn't user or beginner friendly, but everything has a challenge. I'm pretty beginner to average computer knowledge. Non of the more advanced stuff. I looked at the HD PVR, but with it's on board compression, I don't want to get it and due to its physical size. Seeing as compressing already compressed content will degrade video quality. But, if the Shuttle doesn't work, then I have no choice but to go with the Elgato Game Capture HD since the recording format is the same as the HD PVR, however, its physical size is smaller.

I have a firewire 800 port on my Mac and no Firewire cable. Which software would be preferred if I happen to be needing to use the Firewire option to capture? Yeah, Disney Channel HD isn't in my TV package because of the lack of a cable box. However, I can hopefully get a cable box if my parents will let me and I'd be happy to pay the monthly fee for the cable box and installation fees, too.
    At this point, whatever HD capture device you get will only be useful for game capture. With no cable box, how do you expect to be able to record anything from cable using FireWire, or a BMI Shuttle, or any other HD capture device?

As far as recording TV when you do have a cable box... You will need to be present to record with the Intensity Shuttle. It doesn't come with software that allows scheduled recordings, and I haven't seen any mention of alternative software for it anywhere. The Elgato Game Capture HD is smaller, USB powered, and offers a the ability to use a higher bitrate, but you will need to buy EyeTV (3.5.5 or higher) to make scheduled recordings. I did not realize that size is a big issue for you. The HD-PVR 2 is larger than the Elgato Game Capture HD but at 6" x 6" x 1.5" it is not exactly huge, although it does need to be plugged into a wall socket. HDPVR Capture is not terribly expensive includes timers for scheduled recordings, plus a program guide.

They are pretty old, but here are links to references that someone else posted about FireWire capture with a Mac. http://www.ammesset.com/firerecord.html http://www.blyon.com/watch-cable-tv-with-your-mac-via-firewire/ I can't say if a Firewire 800 port on a Mac will work for this. The cable box will use FireWire 400.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

At this point, whatever HD capture device you get will only be useful for game capture. With no cable box, how do you expect to be able to record anything from cable using FireWire, or a BMI Shuttle, or any other HD capture device?

As far as recording TV when you do have a cable box... You will need to be present to record with the Intensity Shuttle. It doesn't come with software that allows scheduled recordings, and I haven't seen any mention of alternative software for it anywhere. The Elgato Game Capture HD is smaller, USB powered, and offers a the ability to use a higher bitrate, but you will need to buy EyeTV (3.5.5 or higher) to make scheduled recordings. I did not realize that size is a big issue for you. The HD-PVR 2 is larger than the Elgato Game Capture HD but at 6" x 6" x 1.5" it is not exactly huge, although it does need to be plugged into a wall socket. HDPVR Capture is not terribly expensive includes timers for scheduled recordings, plus a program guide.

They are pretty old, but here are links to references that someone else posted about FireWire capture with a Mac. http://www.ammesset.com/firerecord.html http://www.blyon.com/watch-cable-tv-with-your-mac-via-firewire/ I can't say if a Firewire 800 port on a Mac will work for this. The cable box will use FireWire 400.
    It's useless without a cable box and it's only useful for game capture. But, I'll probably be ready to record TV when I get the cable box because I would already have the necessary gear standing by. As for scheduled recordings, there is no need for that because I'll be monitoring the recording to make sure that I don't run into any issues casued by either the hardware or software.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!