VideoHelp Forum

Poll: What's your favorite Star Trek movie?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Mine would be Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I like them all.

I do have an order however:

Star trek 2
    Generations
    Insurrection
    Star Trek (2009)
    First Contact
    Nemesis
    ---

Note the order does change and flip flop depending on my mood. But Star Trek 4 and 5 consistently rank at the bottom of the list for me.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i like em all... the least favorite would be the first one tho
    Quote Quote  
  4. I declare myself guilty of liking the first one (even if itīs not "action packed"), the next would be Wrath of Khan, The voyage home, then First contact, Nemesis/Insurrection and in spite of much more informed, trekkier opinions, I kind of enjoyed the 2009 movie (except for the music...it had absolutely nothing to do compared with the great Jerry Goldsmith theme or even the original series one)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    basically i'm a borg fan, so...
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by deadrats View Post
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    basically i'm a borg fan, so...
    There's no borg in that movie.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. He means "First Contact" of course, which is perhaps my favourite also (because of the borg). I like the first one a lot, and I enjoyed "Nemesis" too. I like them all.

But I really can't stand that 2009 thing... bleurgh!
    Quote Quote  
  8. It's a close choice between Wrath of Khan and First Contact, but I still remember the shock I felt during the Kobayashi Maru exercise near the beginning, the joy of Kirk and Spock pulling a fast one on Khan (Superior intellect? My hairy backside!), the beautifully shot battle in the nebula, and then two old friends say goodbye . . . What a roller-coaster of emotions! Good film!

Nemesis was a pile of poo! I just didn't understand the villain's motives for going after Picard and Earth? Very shoddy writing!

Star Trek (2009) just wasn't proper Star Trek. Quinto was excellent as Spock and guy playing McCoy was pretty good but the rest were pretty meh. What the smeg was Checkov on? Who thought that was a good idea? And Simon Pegg, much as I like him as a comic actor and writer, he's completely wrong for Scotty. And who designed the Enterprise's bridge? It was so bright you'd need sunglasses to work there. Again, I just didn't buy into the villain's motives. A typical JJ Abrams production, very flashy but could've been so much better with a bit more time and thought spent on the script. (Two of the writers on the DVD commentary track so happy with themselves for coming up with the reason why Dr McCoy was called "Bones", what a couple of morons!)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Sadly I had to look up the movie titles after The Search For Spock to find out which ones were which. Out of sight out of mind I guess. I like all of the original cast movies and Generations....still a diehard original series fan though. Know the scripts of 95% of them. I saw The Lights of Zetar the other day with Mira Romaine(character name). Wow I had the hots fer her when I was a kid...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Like them all. Yes even the new reboot. But grew up watching the Original Series (re-runs mind you). All time favorites has to be a tie between wrath of khan and voyage home.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  11. Amazon.com is having a sale on
    "Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection" on Blu-ray for $54.99.not sure if this a good deal or not.sorry I'm not a Trekkie lol

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I like them all except for Star Trek V : The Final Frontier, really hate this one. My favorites are : Wrath of Kahn, First Contact, and Star Trek 2009. Yes, I thought 2009 was very good and I thought it was fairly clever, hoe know they can essentially rewrite Trek history in future films.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by julitomg View Post
    I declare myself guilty of liking the first one
    Thanks for being the first to admit it, I'll be the second. Lord knows it has its flaws, but I'll never forget the kick of finally getting to see it in a first-run theater after years of on-again, off-again production rumors. I'm a sucker for Douglas Trumbulls' insanely intricate handmade FX, so that alone puts this one at the top of my "Trek" list, followed by "Khan", "Voyage" and the others. Unfortunately Paramount never released an unadulterated version of ST:TMP on dvd, all you can get is the misconceived George Lucas-inspired "update" version. I ended up buying the old original edition laserdisc off eBay for $5 and dubbed that to my DVD recorder. I hate it when directors go back and try to "fix" things long after the core audience has memorized every frame: it tampers with history in a way.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    KHAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!

I'll be the third to admit to liking The Motion Picture, but unlike orsetto, I prefer the Director's Edition DVD version (I'm not one of those anal-retentive fanboys who filter things through I-hate-George-Lucas lenses). I much prefer it over the Special Longer Version VHS, which I enjoyed at the time but can now see the flaws in throwing in everything that was removed (and right out of the gate, I caught the huge gaffe with the shot of Kirk floating out of the airlock with the soundstage showing in the background!). The DVD added and edited just enough to make the movie an enjoyable experience, IMHO, and at least they made (or tried to make) the updated CGI effects match the 1979 look of the film. And at least Robert Wise was involved in the process, instead of some studio flunky.

My choice for worst film? The Final Frontier, Insurrection, and Nemesis are right down there, but I have to give the edge to The Final Frontier. Honestly, Shatner, just what the hell were you smoking?!! (And don't even get me started on the lame-ass FX.)
    Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto
    Unfortunately Paramount never released an unadulterated version of ST:TMP on dvd, all you can get is the misconceived George Lucas-inspired "update" version. I ended up buying the old original edition laserdisc off eBay for $5 and dubbed that to my DVD recorder. I hate it when directors go back and try to "fix" things long after the core audience has memorized every frame: it tampers with history in a way.
    Check the bluray edition. I believe it is supposed to be the theatrical cut. I own it but I don't have it in front of me so I can't say for sure.

I have all the star treks on bluray. I even liked the newest. But I just hope it doesn't mean that all of the 24th century "history" is totally lost forever in future incarnations. That it'd be a shame.

Edit - I have the MOTION PICTURE disc in front of me now. Here is what it says on the back:

Originally Posted by bluray disc
    for the first time on bluray, see the original theatrical version of the film as it was initially released in theaters.
    So it IS the theatrical version on the bluray edition.
    Last edited by yoda313; 16th Jun 2011 at 17:29.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Check the bluray edition. I believe it is supposed to be the theatrical cut.
    I hadn't thought to look for a BD release- thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by MJPollard View Post
    I'll be the third to admit to liking The Motion Picture, but unlike orsetto, I prefer the Director's Edition DVD version (I'm not one of those anal-retentive fanboys who filter things through I-hate-George-Lucas lenses).
    I have no beef with those who prefer modernized or enhanced versions, if that floats their boat let them enjoy, but those revised versions should not permanently push aside and bury the originals. There are some classic sci-fi epics that took so long to make and were so impossible to nail down that they were released as wild guesses, for better and worse: these initial ragged cuts were the hits or bombs imprinted in our collective memory. When directors go back ten or twenty years later to "fix" them, they lose some of the unfinished charm along with the flaws: its a fine line. (Spielberg has rehashed "Close Encounters" so many times that elements of the original soundtrack were lost in the process- not the smartest move.) Most of us buying this stuff on sequential video formats are old enough to remember seeing it in a theater, so you'd think they'd want to cover the bases to attract every possible buyer. Put both in the box, and everybody's happy.

BTW next time they re-master "Wrath Of Khan" they should definitely include the two Robot Chicken parodies "Two Kirks, A Khan, & A Pizza Place" and "Wrath Of Khan: The Opera" as bonus material.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't like any of them.
    "And a double dumbass to you!"
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank Discs • Best TBCs • Best VCRs for capture • Restore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    While I was extremely happy they made the first one I wasn't overly fond the story line. The Wrath of Khan followed by The Search for Spock are still my favorites of the old series for all the good Star Trek reasons. The Undiscovered Country is my third favorite of that series. The Voyage Home was a fun diversion from the norm (love the quote lordsmurf). I like all of the Next Gen movies equally.

Edit:
    Forgot about the new "Reset" movie. It was well done and the actors were well chosen. The doctor has it down pat. I can easily buy into this restart of the original. I re-bought all the movies on Blu-ray including the latest.
    Last edited by gll99; 16th Jun 2011 at 20:18.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto
    I hadn't thought to look for a BD release- thanks for the tip!
    You're welcome. And as I mentioned in my edit in my post the bluray version IS the theatrical release
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why isn't Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning listed?
    Who could forget Captain James B. Pirk of the starship Kickstart as he takes on Babylon 5?

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    I don't like any of them.
    "And a double dumbass to you!"
    What does he mean by "exact change"?
    Everybody remember where we parked.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or Galaxy Quest...

This is a very incomplete list....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Lord Smurf

I believe the correct quote is "And a double dumbass on you!"
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by papakilo View Post
    Lord Smurf

I believe the correct quote is "And a double dumbass on you!"
    I let him slide on that one....
    Quote Quote  
  25. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    I am with the minority

Movie # 5
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For all you die hard Trek fans try the Star Trek Phase II website (Link Below). These stories are supposed to have happened after the original 5 year mission and includes some Star Trek alumni (George Takei, Walter Koenig, etc.)

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by KTH View Post
    For all you die hard Trek fans try the Star Trek Phase II website (Link Below). These stories are supposed to have happened after the original 5 year mission and includes some Star Trek alumni (George Takei, Walter Koenig, etc.)

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/
    My trek friends and I have watched some of these, and though they are often lacking in technical skill and acting they more than make up for it in heart and passion. The stories are often quite good! They are definitely worth checking out.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yep. I watched those fan films a year or two ago. I did enjoy those stories. I thought i read somewhere that they used their set for the tribble episode of Ds9.
    Actually pretty decent fan material
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  29. Yeah, the time travel one with the Shuttle Craft in the Captains garage was a brilliant touch!

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've seen some of the fan films. Not bad.

BUT some of them actually were reworked into the second season of Star Trek The Next Generation during a hollywood writer strike. I'm not sure which ones but they did recycle some of them.
    Quote Quote