VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an Panasonic EZ-485, I want to record an DVD-RW which I have done before.
    over a year ago.. I can change Drives or Inputs (Manually on front of 485) and can get a signal to pass thru it to my TV..
    Almost anything I try I get "RC3" on the Display.. I press the Function button I get RC3.. I have cut it off and removed
    the power cord, but no help.. Any ideas??
    Thx. W.G.
    Last edited by wg_rebel; 22nd Apr 2017 at 04:16.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi.. A light went off in my head (which could be trouble) RC , could mean Remote Control, but I don't know what it it trying to tell me..
    I have checked and changed Batteries.. I am using rechargeables, voltage is 1.29 on both.. Remote number is N2QAYB000197 , it is hard to read..
    Thx..
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Rather than wait for lights to go off, look at your player's user guide. To set the remote control code to that of the DVD recorder, press and hold [ ENTER ] along with the corresponding code number on the display (1, 2 or 3) at the same time for more than 2 seconds.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Mr. LMotlow,
    That worked; OK/Enter + 3.. Thank U very much.. I don't have an User's Guide, I looked online at the Manual, but did not
    see any RC or RC3 Code..
    I don't do it very often, I like using DVD(-/+) RW's when Recording because they seem to work in other machines most of the time..
    If I use -/+ R's they will only work some of the time in other machines.. Not sure why that is?? I tried to use an 12x -RW in the 485V
    but it will not recognize it.. They were in a new package, not sure when I bought them.. Do U think an 4x +RW would work better??
    Thanks again, W.G.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Your player should recognize DVD-R and DVD-RW. When a DVD recorder stops recognizing or stops properly processing optical formats that it used to recognize or is supposed to recognize, it indicates that either (a) the discs are lousy-- stick with Verbatim AZO, or (b) the optical drive is developing problems.

Setup for the remote and remote code is on shown on page 57 of the manual:

Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LMotlow,
    I need to explain some things but that would be too much background noise.. Just believe me when I say I look
    at things different than 95% of the country..
    R U and the manual telling me to "set Code 1 and Code 2 and Code 3" with my Remote?? I did the OK+3 and it
    works per your suggestion; thx. again.. I am scared to change it but I will if U tell me, it is Not clear to me in the Manual..
    Options; I see options when others do not..
    The 12x DVD-RW brand is Color Research, I never heard of them and don't know where I got them.. I have
    some Verbatim 4x +RW coming from Amazon, model number 94834 I think.. My EZ-485V will recogize the 4x +RW
    that I have but I am out of them.. As stated before I have better luck with the RWs, I have an JVC Combo that I
    also have better luck with the RWs.. I don't know why that is..
    I have spent over 20 minutes looking at the Manual trying to figure out the max speed the Optical in the 485v can handle;
    I don't need to buying 12x or 16x if it will only do 4x or 8x..
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    The posted image is just to show you what the user manual section looks like. There's nothing else to change.

For years I've seen recommendations for only the following 3 blank DVD media mentioned that are currently sold by most major online dealers. I stopped buying all other brands and types many years ago and have never had problems with the discs shown. I never heard of Color Research. No one can answer for the way most consumer DVD recorders handle different discs or mishandle others. You'll find as many opinions as you will find users. However, I think most people will recommend Verbatim "AZO" and Verbatim DVD+R-DL discs shown below. I never heard of anyone recommending the cheaper Verbatim "Life" series, but I had a number of bad "Life" series and cheaper Maxell junk from a few years back that gave me a valuable lesson in avoiding certain blank media.

Verbatim "AZO" DVD-R
    https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-Branded-Recordable-50-Disc-95101/dp/B00081A2KY/ref=sr_...lank+DvD+media

Verbatim 4X DVD-RW 95179
    https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-Branded-DVD-RW-Spindle-95179/dp/B000YTRUP0/ref=sr_1_58...lank+DvD+media

Verbatim "AZO" DVD+R DL 8x-10x Double Layer 96542
    https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-Branded-Recordable-30-Disc-96542/dp/B001D8OGOO/ref=sr_...lank+DvD+media

I buy according to brand and type, not by price. The good stuff costs what it costs, and that's all there is to it. Look for specials sales. I've used the above on Panasonic DMR-ES10, ES15, ES20, and/or Toshiba RD-XS34 recorders.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Mr. LMotlow,
    Thank U for the Media suggestions.. I do not have an DL recording device as of yet.. I do not buy the cheapest anything
    usually.. What is the name of the Recorder that is over $1000.00, I looked them up 1 time but forgot what it was.. What is
    a good Recorder to use to record from my DirecTV DVR.. Tell me more about ES10, ES15 or ES20.. I bought a couple of
    devices to use to decode the signal from my DVR to be able to store an HD signal on my computer and then I was supposed
    to be able to make an HD Disc Recording.. But I think it is a little over my head.. So I a stuck with SVHS for now..

Not sure how it being Sunday, my 4x +RWs showed up today.. I put 1 in the Pana asked if I wanted to Format the Disc;
    done and it is now Recording a program from my DVR.. I am using SVHS to transfer the Video; I chose Letterbox as I
    thought it would look natural as opposed to being stretched out.. I think It it set on EP (6hr) Recording mode even
    though after formatting it states only 4 hrs of space.. I that one can change the Recording Mode in the Manual but I can't
    find that Option.. I would like to use SP(2hr) or at least LP(4hr); do U think the Recording will be better using SP and using
    SVHS as the Source or is LP as good as I can get?? How do I change the Recording Mode?? I forgot to try the "REC Mode"
    button on my Remote before I started recording; I will check it out the next time..
    I almost forgot; in the manual it states that after Recording if U press the Open/Close button it will ask U if U would
    like to Finalize; and list a bunch (bunch is an Johnston Co. technical term) different Media, +RW is Not one of them..??
    It gave a Tip; stating that having an Top Menu would help other DVD Players in playing this Disc..
    Last edited by wg_rebel; 23rd Apr 2017 at 22:32.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Someone else will have to help you with re-recording at low quality from a DVR. I stopped all re-recording in 2001. I use the Panasonics today as pass-thru units for VHS capture to lossless media, not as recorders. The ES10/15/20 haven't been manufactured for 12 years or more, and Panasonic machines have lowered quality since then. I use the RD-XS34 DVD recorder for recording at highest available bitrate onto its internal hard drive from a standard definition digital cable box, at the original aspect ratios of 4:3 or 16:9 anamorphic. Those recordings are split into smaller files and burned to DVD-RW, then copied to a PC for edits, authoring and burning to dual-layer DVD. High definition sources are recorded to an HDPVR and PC, edited, and archived on external drives for playing in BluRay players. I don't use Direct TV, so others will have to advise you on that source.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Double Msg. deleted by author..
    Last edited by wg_rebel; 23rd Apr 2017 at 23:00. Reason: delete double Msg..
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Mr. LMotlow or anyone that can help,
    I am just interested on getting the best quality on an DVD using SVHS as the Source at the moment..
    I have just finished making a copy on my EZ485V, I make an Top Menu I think, when I pressed the Open/Close
    Button it did Not ask about Finalizing the Disc as the Online Manual stated it would.. Is the +RW Disc different??
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wg_rebel View Post
    Is the +RW Disc different??
    Yes. DVD+RW doesn't require finalization. That is one of the reasons why some people like it better than DVD-RW.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi U_Q,
    Its been a while, Thx a lot !!
    Do U know what is the best Write Speed for my EZ485V?? I have some off-brand 12x,
    I tried 3 of them, the 485v will not recognise them..
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi U_Q,
    Its been a while, Thx a lot !!
    Do U know what is the best Write Speed for my EZ485V?? I have some off-brand 12x,
    I tried 3 of them, the 485v will not recognise them..
    I never owned an EZ485V and have no clue what sort of off-brand media works with it. I would listen to the advice you were already given to buy Vebatim DVD media and avoid the rest. (Verbatim DVD+RW 1x-4x and DVD-RW 1x-4x are also good)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi U_Q,
    I sorry I misled U, I do Not want to use Off Brand, I mentioned it as an example of something
    that would Not work.. I would like to use what works best in the 485v.. I do not need to buy 16x
    when the 485v can only use up to 4x or 8x..
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    If you want 4x or 8x blank media specifically for what kind of disc? For DVD-R, 16x just happens to be the top write speed for Verbatim AZO but is compatible with lower write speeds. 1x to 4x applies to Verbatim's DVD-RW and DVD+RW media. No one said you have to use their 16x AZO DVD-R, but DVD-R is the most universally compatible DVD disc type. Verbatim does market their cheaper Life Series 8x DVD-R discs, but now you're talking price over quality. The Life Series is the same inferior junk used in off-brand media, marketed by Verbatim to satisfy the self-destructive needs of those who insist on it. Use it at your own risk. Most people would advise that you avoid it. I've already had my experience with it. It's not pretty when a valued DVD disc's layers start buckling and splitting after only one or two plays.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi U_Q,
    I sorry I misled U, I do Not want to use Off Brand, I mentioned it as an example of something
    that would Not work.. I would like to use what works best in the 485v.. I do not need to buy 16x
    when the 485v can only use up to 4x or 8x..
    If my Panasonic DMR-ES10 purchased in 2005 (before 16x DVD media was common) never had a problem with Verbatim AZO 16x media, I doubt that your newer Panny recorder will have a problem with it.

However, if you really think 8x DVD-R media would work better, Verbatim's DataLifePlus line, which uses Verbatim's AZO dye and is not the same as their Life Series, offers some: https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-DataLifePlus-Printable-50-Disk-94971/dp/B0003QIXB4
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thx. Guys,
    I think I got it.. The Verbatim AZO and their DataLifePlus Discs costs almost the same, I think the AZO's are
    a couple dollars less.. Both very reasonable, 50 disc in the mid-teens..
    Thx. again, 73 W.G. Davis/ K4WGD
    Last edited by wg_rebel; 26th Apr 2017 at 04:40.
    Quote Quote