VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been looking around the internet for some sort of program/technique to add metadata to any/all video file types. I would like the DVD cover art to come up in Media Center when i search through my movies to watch. I like the way XBMC does it, but I dont want the hassle of installing XBMC, even though its a better program, but I use my Media Center to watch TV also.
    Anybody?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have the same question actually. You have all kind of tag programs for MP3, JPG but still not for AVI (or other video files). In XP you can add tags but on Windows 7 mostly you can't change the tags.
    The flag once raised will never fall!
    Quote Quote  
  3. abcAVI is a free AVI metadata editor that can edit AVI INFO tags. Another tool, a commercial one, is MetadataTouch, that in addition to AVI INFO tags can edit XMP metadata in AVI, MP4, and F4V files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I use abcAVI all the time. Another of its handy features is the ability to export the metadata from all the files you have loaded into it. So you can load all your movies, and export a detailed video library. Unfortunately, it will not read AVI files larger than 2GB, so you have to edit the metadata manually in those - I can provide detailed instructions if anyone needs them.

As for cover art, AVI files do not provide for embedded images. MP4 video, like its audio counterpart MP3, does allow for embedded art. I use a WDTV media player to watch my videos on my TV, and to create a thumbnail image for any video, I just have to create an image file with the same filename (including capitalization) as the video, then it shows up when I'm browsing. Don't know if that would work in Media Center because I don't use Media Center. Quite frankly, I hate it.
    Do or do not. There is no "try." - Yoda
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by awgie View Post
    I use abcAVI all the time. Another of its handy features is the ability to export the metadata from all the files you have loaded into it. So you can load all your movies, and export a detailed video library. Unfortunately, it will not read AVI files larger than 2GB, so you have to edit the metadata manually in those - I can provide detailed instructions if anyone needs them.

As for cover art, AVI files do not provide for embedded images. MP4 video, like its audio counterpart MP3, does allow for embedded art. I use a WDTV media player to watch my videos on my TV, and to create a thumbnail image for any video, I just have to create an image file with the same filename (including capitalization) as the video, then it shows up when I'm browsing. Don't know if that would work in Media Center because I don't use Media Center. Quite frankly, I hate it.
    How do you manually edit AVI's over 2GB?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Qazmon View Post
    How do you manually edit AVI's over 2GB?
    If the attachment doesn't work, PM me your email address, and I can send you the file. This little comment box isn't cooperating with me trying to simply copy and paste them the way I have them typed up.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Tagging AVI Files manually.pdf  

Do or do not. There is no "try." - Yoda
    Quote Quote