VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am new to this forum and generally to video editing. I have a Canon Vixia HFG10 and have over a TB of video files. My computer recently died on me and in restoring the files, the original location of the files was changed. While the data is there, my software, Pixela Video Browser, cannot find any of the files and just shows an ! in the file description with the location of where the file was. Also, certain files that were edited along with projects seem to have disappeared. I am planning on moving my video files to an external hard drive as my internal hard drive is quickly running out of space. The Pixela software will allow me to add a library and/or a file to its Library, so it may find all of the files it is referencing, but I am not sure. My question is is it worth keeping this software or should I upgrade to something else as this migration will take considerable time and effort. I am not looking for anything fancy, just want to edit and burn blu ray files to save them fr our family.

Thank you for any assistance you may be able to provide.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You should have a "backup' or copy of all files (video or other) that you don't want to lose. Hardware can fail at any time, often without warning. If you only have a single copy of your data, it's just a matter of time before it's gone forever. Keep a working version, and have at LEAST one backup/copy in case of emergency. It always seems like a waste of money or time, until you are hoping and trying to recover the data. Live and learn.

As for what software to use, there are numerous tools available. Selection may, or may not be limited by the source file type/format.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for your advice. Yes, I have backups. I just don't know if I want to keep the Pixela software or buy something else. It is irritating that the software cannot locate the moved files on the hard-drive and I figured if I have to go through that hassle of moving/renaming files that I might as well start off fresh.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    monesq, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,
    Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote