VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All,
    I bought a Sony DRU-190A during the BF sales at Staples. I bought it to replace an old Pioneer 105 internal drive and external Plextor drive I had. 1st thing I noticed was that it took a long time just to format (quick erase in Nero) a DVD-RW. The disc was quite scratched so I bought some new Memorex 4x DVD RWs (even though the Plextor had no prob quick erasing and writing to the scratched disc). The Plextor took approx 3 min. & the Sony 30+ min. This happened a few times but then the Sony began to do quicker formats, I think this is when I started using Ulead instead of Nero.

The files I was trying to burn were DVD content files (AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS) that I downloaded from various bit torrent sites. I was able to burn a few more DVD-RWs and DVD-Rs but then ran into another problem. I forget which DVD content files I was trying to burn but Ulead was taking forever & eventually gave an error “Failed to burn data onto the disc. Error (0x800415D) DVD+R SPTI-2A-02-03-00-00”. I tried again but got the same error.

Then when trying to burn DVD files that according to Ulead only required 4.30GB and 4.70 was available on the DVD+R in the Sony drive I got an error that there was not enough space available on the target disc and insert another and retry. I inserted another 4.70 DVD+R & got the same error. For poops & giggles I inserted a 8GB DVD+R DL but this time the drive spun for over 40 min. before I tried to close Ulead. I ended up closing Ulead via Task manager. I did get a program not responding message that let me finally close it.

Any idea what’s causing these problems? Is it the drive or Ulead or both? My Nero was an eval version and has expired. Is there any freeware available that I can use to burn DVDRs w/the AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS and their contents? Also, is there a freeware video player that will allow me to play these DVD files while they’re on my hard drive.

Also, should I flash the drive over to the Lite-On 20A3P? What’s the benefit of this? Thanks!

Dan G/CT
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use IMGBURN to burn dvd media especially if you're going to use DUAL LAYER DVD+R media. What brands of dvd media are you using? I wouldn't crossflash your drive just yet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    It's branded Memorex and it's 8x 8.5GB DVD+R DL. What's even more strange is that after I tried to burn that 4.30GB of DVD files and got the error I accessed the DVD+R DL w/windows explorer but there were no files or directories on it. When I used DVD Decrypter in ISO Read mode to get disc info it listed the below info. Any idea why it would list status as empty yet only have 5.4GB free space on an 8.5GB disc? Thanks for the tip on IMGBURN, I'll give it a try.

SONY DVD RW DRU-190A 1.61 (ATA)
    Current Profile: DVD+R DL

Disc Information:
    Erasable: No
    Free Sectors: 2,668,224
    Free Space: 5,464,522,752 bytes
    Free Time: 592:58:24 (MM:SS:FF)

Physical Format Information (ADIP):
    Disc ID: RITEK-S04-66
    Book Type: DVD+R DL
    Part Version: 1
    Disc Size: 120mm
    Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
    Number of Layers: 2
    Track Path: Opposite Track Path (OTP)
    Linear Density: 0.293 um/bit
    Track Density: 0.74 um/track
    First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
    Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 16,580,607
    Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 2,283,519

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
    Disc ID: RITEK-S04-66
    Book Type: DVD+R DL
    Part Version: 1
    Disc Size: 120mm
    Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
    Number of Layers: 2
    Track Path: Opposite Track Path (OTP)
    Linear Density: 0.293 um/bit
    Track Density: 0.74 um/track
    First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
    Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 16,580,607
    Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 2,283,519
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Many writers are unable to burn Ritek DL media to completion.

A incompletely burned disk has inconsistant information about space available. The space is gone, nothing accesible is there. Its a coaster.

Your RW memorex media, also does not inspire affection. Your SONY drive is not noted for its media tolerance and Memorex media is not viewed as a quality media.

I'd chuck the drive, in my opinion it was a mistake, but many other people would live with the drive and burn TY or Verbatim single layer media. And only Verbatim DL. You may also have to burn these below rated speed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oldandinthe way
    I'd chuck the drive, in my opinion it was a mistake, but many other people would live with the drive and burn TY or Verbatim single layer media. And only Verbatim DL. You may also have to burn these below rated speed.
    Just because the drive can't burn cheap ass RITEL DL media you're suggesting to dump the drive! It's not the drive that's at fault, it's the DL media that the OP is using. And I have yet to see anyone burning DL media below the rated speed. Don't give BS information!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks all for the replies. Budz, I tried IMGBRN & it burned a Memorex DL disc 1st try no problem. I burned at 2.4x 7.38GB of DVD files.

Is there a freeware media player that will allow me to watch the contents of a VIDEO_TS file stored on my HD? thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I suggest dumping the drive because it doesn't burn lots of different media. The OP has experienced problems with Ritek DL and Memorex RW. He can certainly expect many more bad experiences.

I'd dump any drive that only burns TY and Verbatim and can't even burn them reliably at full speed.

The cost of a drive which burns with greater flexibility is easily offset by lower media costs and time savings.

This differs from the typical videohelp poster who sees problem with selecting from a small number of manufacturers and burn at half speed.

If there were no alternative to that behavior I probably would not be burning DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oldandinthe way
    I suggest dumping the drive because it doesn't burn lots of different media. The OP has experienced problems with Ritek DL and Memorex RW. He can certainly expect many more bad experiences.

I'd dump any drive that only burns TY and Verbatim and can't even burn them reliably at full speed.

The cost of a drive which burns with greater flexibility is easily offset by lower media costs and time savings.

This differs from the typical videohelp poster who sees problem with selecting from a small number of manufacturers and burn at half speed.

If there were no alternative to that behavior I probably would not be burning DVDs.
    Then you must be the minority as far as burning with VERBATIM or TAIYO YUDEN dvd media. Time and savings is wasted when you use inferior dvd media such as MEMOREX which allows RITEK to manufacture their media. I guess your dvd library will be render useless when in years to come they will fail to read back the files correctly. As the old saying goes,"TO EACH'S OWN". :P
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by oldandinthe way

I really don't understand where you are coming from making these kinds of statements about this drive in particular. This drive is not a Sony at all - it's a Lite-on DH 20A3P using Sony's version of firmware. This drive uses the newest generation Mediatek chipset. Many people mistake the Lite-on DH 20A4P as the newest development but it actually uses a modified chipset carried over from the LH 20A1x model line. Mediatek chipsets are used in all Lite-on and Samsung current models. Lite-ons have their fair share of limitations just like any other drive but media intolerance is not one of them.

I do not own this particular drive but I do have it's big brother (a Lite-on DH 20A3H). I've tested quite a lot of SL media on this thing (Yuden T02, Yuden T03, TYG02, TYG03, MCC 003, MCC 004, MCC 02RG20, MCC 03RG20, CMC MAG AM3, Sony16D1 and SONY D21) and have yet to see it turn out unacceptable results. I have not tested CD, DL or DVDRAM on this drive yet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Guys, calm down.
    You should blame SONY for putting out rebadged drives with stupid modelnumbers and crippled firmwares instead of fighting each other here.

With that burner, only DL media from Verbatim should be used, IMO.
    Either you should buy Verbatim DL or invest 30 bucks into a top newish burner.

Period.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately the quality of a drive is tied strongly to its firmware.

The SONY firmware is in my opinion inferior to Lite-Ons, thats why people cross-flash. My suspicion is that Lite-On actually tests their firmware on more than one type of media. Media intolerance is in its simplest case bad firmware.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a DRU-190A but it does not read some files created on my lap top and also it shows zero empty space but
    the CD has 600 meg space.Is it possible that it has been writed in another format
    Alazzz
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was looking to buy the SONY DRU-190 simply because it got good reviews on most sites, but it turns out that most of the people are only testing them with SL discs. My problem is that I have two drives, a LG GSA-H55N & a LiteOn DH20A4P with the latest drivers, and neither of them will write to DL discs without falling over. The only disc that I can write to reliably are Verbatum, hence I'm on the search for a new drive. Both of them however will write to any SL without problems. As I have loads of discs from different manufacturers, it works out cheaper for me to get a drive which can write to any DL disc rather than bin them and solely use verbatum. So what drive should I go for now ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by richardsth
    I was looking to buy the SONY DRU-190 simply because it got good reviews on most sites, but it turns out that most of the people are only testing them with SL discs. My problem is that I have two drives, a LG GSA-H55N & a LiteOn DH20A4P with the latest drivers, and neither of them will write to DL discs without falling over. The only disc that I can write to reliably are Verbatum, hence I'm on the search for a new drive. Both of them however will write to any SL without problems. As I have loads of discs from different manufacturers, it works out cheaper for me to get a drive which can write to any DL disc rather than bin them and solely use verbatum. So what drive should I go for now ?
    VERBATIM is the only RELIABLE DVD+R DUAL LAYER MEDIA end of story. If you wanna continue using cheapy dual layer media then you'll continue to have failed discs. A new DVD burner isn't going to solve the problem. Using the latest drivers which I think you mean "FIRMWARE", could or would not make a difference. But if you use MEDIA CODE SPEED EDIT you could change the write strategies on the cheapy dual layer media. But then again why bother changing write strategies when all you need is to buy VERBATIM DVD+R DUAL LAYER. IMHO buying any sort of cheap dvd media is a waste of time & money.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It seems using IMGBurn may have solved the OP problem based on his last post. BTW the Sony DRU-190A may be cross flashed to LiteOn 20A3P to see if it helps if problems recur. However, I completely agree with Budz on using quality media. NewEgg has Verbatim DL for $30 or less per 30 pack pretty often. How much cheaper are the Memorex, Ritek, etc., and is it worth the problems they may cause? To me it is not, and I never even pay attention to price of inferior media and consider Verbatim only when seeking DL media.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've got this sony drive as well and I'm a little disappointed too....

The ONLY DL DVD+R it works with are Verbatim. With DVD-R, its a bit flakey with the unbranded Riteks I use.

Yes, I know some of you say to use quality media but my old DVD burner was fine with EVERY disk.

So, whats this about flashing it to Liteon? How hard is it? Will it be an improvement?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why bother flashing the drive when all you need to do is use VERBATIM dvd media.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by budz
    VERBATIM is the only RELIABLE DVD+R DUAL LAYER MEDIA end of story. If you wanna continue using cheapy dual layer media then you'll continue to have failed discs. A new DVD burner isn't going to solve the problem. Using the latest drivers which I think you mean "FIRMWARE", could or would not make a difference. But if you use MEDIA CODE SPEED EDIT you could change the write strategies on the cheapy dual layer media. But then again why bother changing write strategies when all you need is to buy VERBATIM DVD+R DUAL LAYER. IMHO buying any sort of cheap dvd media is a waste of time & money.
    This is correct - if you will locate and buy some Made In Singapore VERBATIM DVD+R DL discs (check eBay), you will probably stop having any more problems. Other DL media is flaky at best, no matter what burner drive you use. Oh, and ImgBurn is the best and most reliable burning application, especially for DL media.

I don't know why it is so hard to grasp that cheap (or even not so cheap) junky media is a waste of time and money.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can check CDFreak LiteOn Burner former to learn about cross flashing, but it may not achieve better results. Recently I read a thread where a user cross flashed his Memorex to LiteOn, got worse results and cross flashed back to original Memorex. Your best bet is to use quality media like Verbatim as others suggest.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz
    Why bother flashing the drive when all you need to do is use VERBATIM dvd media.
    Because its expensive !!!!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gshelley61
    Originally Posted by budz
    This is correct - if you will locate and buy some Made In Singapore VERBATIM DVD+R DL discs (check eBay), you will probably stop having any more problems. Other DL media is flaky at best, no matter what burner drive you use. Oh, and ImgBurn is the best and most reliable burning application, especially for DL media.

I don't know why it is so hard to grasp that cheap (or even not so cheap) junky media is a waste of time and money.
    But I know that some people have had good results with the Aone DL media. It just annoys me that my burner wont work with these....
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You guys and your media blitz (!) are funny! I don't have the luxury of obtaining any of the high end media you mention here in all your chatter. I have the much maligned Sony $20 DRU-190A Staples discounted burner and use Staples, various Memorex and Sony blanks, all found as castaways in the local Staples' trash dumpster. Zero cost.
    Know what? With the burner cross flashed to the applicable LiteOn DH-20A3P model, latest rev, I get maybe 1 coaster for every 20 burns. I've done close to 100 burns so far and I've never lost a burn on the 5 Verbatim DL blanks I've used either.
    So what's the deal? Maybe they won't last forever, but at my age, 72, I won't either!
    Mason
    Quote Quote