VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Costco is offering the Lite-On LVW-5005A for $179 (mine was manufactured July 2004, made in China). This is the one that can use Plus (+) and Minus (-) DVD media as well as CD-R/RW (ie All Write).

The chip set is LSI Logic - DiMeNsion 2 (DMN-8602 B0) without heatsink.
    The drive is a Lite-On DDW-451S
    It does have a small fan.

What do guys think is this a good deal?

Should I add a chipset heatsink?

Updated 26NOV04; Costco reduced the price to $155.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Actualy for 25 dollars more than the DVDR04. The -+ makes it a bit more intersting.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well the iLo is $150 plus $15 for the extended warranty, total $165. While the 5005 is $180 or $15 more to have the all write capability. Costco will allow a member to return anything except computers at anytime. So in 3 years when better recorders are available for less than $200 I can return the 5005 and get my $180 back (you must keep the box and original receipt).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd buy it.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank Discs • Best TBCs • Best VCRs for capture • Restore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thats a pretty good deal esp when it retails for 250.

But I am not sure if it still has a mono TV tunner in it?

Heck. I got my current car through Costco!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sstinman
    Costco is offering the Lite-On LVW-5005A for $179 (mine was manufactured July 2004, made in China).
    Offer must be just "in-store"...it`s not on the costco website.

The Devil`s always.....in the Details!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is pic of the main board.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For what its worth, the Lite-On Model: LVW-5101 DVD recorder is available at Sam's Club for $139.77

and it is on the Sam's website.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Any day now the new Sony with component inputs is coming out. Just $799 to $1100 depending where you get it.

I want one of those cause it records with component inputs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I got my got my LVW-5005 at Costco a couple months ago, and I love it. Haven't had any problems with it. The only thing that I don't like (and even then it's not a big thing) is that it won't play X anything - no XVCD, XSVCD... That's the only problem. But with the region free hack, that makes up for it, to me, since my last player didn't have a region hack. But overall a very nice player/recorder. I have noticed that if you record in anything less than the 2 hour mode you get some micro-blocks. But I would still recommend this player/recorder - it's a good deal.

My 2 cents 8)
    "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgment."
    Zefram Cochrane
    Quote Quote  
  11. I had a 5001 but took it back after it produced about 5 coasters in a row on the same brand disks that had worked fine many times before. I got the Pioneer 210 instead and it's been great. While the LiteOn can be hacked, the Pioneer has a lot more features. If I were looking for one today, however, I'd probably still try the 5005 since it takes +/- disks.....
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Updated pricing. Costco is selling it for $155.
    Quote Quote  
  13. You beat me to it. I saw the same deal today in Jacksonville. Did you see the 50 TDK's for $15? I put that in the Media section....
    Quote Quote  
  14. Nuts. I stopped by Costco in N. IL and it was still $179 in their computer, which is what I paid a week ago. Been too busy to open the box on my 5005.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Sorry to say Costco recently modified their return policy to 30 days, except for computers (!) which appear to remain at 6 months, max.

Jeff
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by photoman2
    Sorry to say Costco recently modified their return policy to 30 days, except for computers (!) which appear to remain at 6 months, max.

Jeff
    When was this?????

Here's what the website says:

customer service

Costco's Risk Free 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    On merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell by offering a full refund, subject to certain product specific limitations.
    On membership: We will refund your membership fee in full at any time if you are dissatisfied.
    Their warehouse return policy is the same as the website's....
    Quote Quote  
  17. Costco return policy is UNCHANGED!

I just got back and it's the same as always. Maybe the confusion comes from a sign they have behind the customer service desk that says it's helpful to return items within 30 days, but it's not a requirement. I also asked the manager and he confirmed this.....
    Quote Quote  
  18. I stand corrected. I read the "30 days" sign, which seemed pretty clear at the time. I just called the manager of the Costco where I saw it, and her said, specifically:

" If you are unsatified with anything you buy from us, I will give you your money back, with a 6 month limit only on computers."

And thanks to this forum, I just came back with 100 TDY DCD-R's for $29.98. Made in Taiwan, but TDK TTGO1.

What a great place to deal! And unlike Sam's Club, they pay a decent wage to their employees.

Jeff Lowenthal
    photoman2
    Quote Quote  
  19. Glad we cleared that up! I was scared they'd changed it. If Costco does away with their return policy, then that would take away a major incentive to shop there (and I'm sure they know it, too)....
    Quote Quote  
  20. I absolutely love Costco. Wish they sold everything I ever needed. They have unbelievable return policy and customer service. Enough on Costco.
    I saw the Lite-on for $179 at my Costco.com. Yesterday I bought a Tivo instead but have done nothing with and now I am rethinking my idea. I am considering buying the Lite On instead but I like the feature that you can set up the Tivo to record whole seasons's and such of show. Does anyone know if this is possible with the Liteon? Is there a seperate program I could buy to make it do this? Or even another recorder. I just don't like paying a monthly fee for the service and I can't record to DVD with the Tivo without having to buy another DVD record to go with it.
    Anyway, any thoughts would be much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  21. If you can swing the extra cost. Add the Liteon to the Tivo. Give the best of both worlds.

I have the Sony Tivo Release 1 feeding the iLO right now. The 220 is on its own seperat cable split.

Beates the old SVHS-Tivo setup I had!

PS: I went through Costco for my current car! Got one heck of a deal on it!
    Quote Quote  
  22. I'm thinking about buying one of these (LVW-5005a) from Costco. Has anyone found out if it's tuner is mono or stereo?
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All of them were mono last I knew, but that was some weeks back. Lots of changes at LiteOn.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank Discs • Best TBCs • Best VCRs for capture • Restore VHS
    Quote Quote