VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi there.

When I double-click a folder in my external disc my PC blocks.
    I think I must erase that folder!
    But is there anyway to see what that folder contains and
    to recover its sub-folders and files?

Thank you for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try to rename the hole folders inside its folders to one letter each just like G:\A\B\C\D\file.mkv so the max. length isn't exceeded. then open the folders
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    Try to rename the hole folders inside its folders to one letter each just like G:\A\B\C\D\file.mkv so the max. length isn't exceeded. then open the folders
    But I don't have access to the folders inside and so how can I rename them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you want to know what is inside look at the name the folder is called, you must have created it someday in the past.
    try to rename the folder which contains all subfolders to one character -> max length is 255 characters if it is NTFS. Maybe you can open it then.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    If you want to know what is inside look at the name the folder is called, you must have created it someday in the past.
    try to rename the folder which contains all subfolders to one character -> max length is 255 characters if it is NTFS. Maybe you can open it then.
    The original name is BACKUP and I renamed it M and suddenly blocked.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It was already blocked before accoring to your first post. Maybe other users can help you.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    It was already blocked before accoring to your first post.
    I'm not sure why you started going all Japanese, but I think what he means is that even after renaming "BACKUP" to "M" it's still blocked.
    Last edited by mike20021969; 27th Aug 2018 at 00:25.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    It was already blocked before accoring to your first post.
    I'm not sure why you started going all Japanese, but I think what he means is that even after renaming "BACKUP" to "M" it's still blocked.
    Originally Posted by XPTO View Post
    ... suddenly ...
    implies it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would try a Linux rescue disc, like Hiren's Boot CD. There are others too. See https://lifehacker.com/5984707/five-best-system-rescue-discs
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  10. Describe EXACTLY what you did, when it worked, when it did NOT, what you did in between, and also, the exact text of the error message, completely and totally.

What you are describing does not make any sense, you are leaving out important details.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It is an external disc...so unplug it and plug it back in. Then try again.
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gwyneth View Post
    Maybe do you know where to recover data on PC? My colleagues said that I could have been hacked! and they recommended me to try this website raid data recovery company
 . I wonder whether you know smb in new york who are aware of that? Any good experts..I really don't know who could hack me and for what purpose!
    Russia hacked you. Better get a new passport.
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @XPTO

Don't know your specs or OS but can you right click on the folder and select properties then look at the security tab to see if it shows your current UserID as at least having read access to the folder. It could be as simple as giving yourself ownership or elevating permissions to fully access the folder. Another possibility is that it could also be locked by the system by an app that is expecting to use it. If as you say it said backup before you renamed it then it may activate a resident backup feature automatically when the drive is inserted. As Nelson37 posted "Any messages" when you double clicked. Anything you can add is helpful.

I must add however that if the drive came from someone else the other possibility is that some folders or even the whole drive may be deliberately blocked for privacy/security reasons and we can't help you with that.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Hi, guys.

I tried, today, to delete the folder BACKUP. After several minutes trying to delete the folder, it appeared the cursor, but it didnīt delete the folder. After that I tried to open BACKUP and, surprise, it opened and gave access do the folder and its files!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Can anyone explain this?

Maybe it was a Russian hacker as says our friend Ron Spencer! Or maybe any ghost!

Thank you to everyone.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your drive could be failing. Once you've copied all your files, run Chkdsk. Be sure to do this only after you've copied your files as it may make this inaccessible after the repair. Next run CrystalDiskInfo. If anything is yellow, your drive is failing and shouldn't be used for anything critical.

Another possibility since it's an external, is that the drive is okay, but the USB interface is bad. Remove the drive from the case and connect it internally (through the SATA interface) or externally though a different interface (another case, SATA to USB cable or drive dock).
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Your drive could be failing.
    I agree. It's almost certainly an indication that the drive is failing. When Windows has problems reading or writing a sector it will retry several times -- that often takes a few minutes. And the system will appear to be locked up.

Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Once you've copied all your files, run Chkdsk.
    Yes, copy everything you need (and can) to another drive. Then run Chkdsk with a full surface scan. This will take a long time. Copy any files that were inaccessible the first time. Then retire the drive. Or at least relegate it to unimportant temporary storage. You might be able to partition it so that the bad blocks fall in a partition you don't use. Then use the rest.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Once you've copied all your files, run Chkdsk.
    Yes, copy everything you need (and can) to another drive. Then run Chkdsk with a full surface scan. This will take a long time. Copy any files that were inaccessible the first time. Then retire the drive. Or at least relegate it to unimportant temporary storage. You might be able to partition it so that the bad blocks fall in a partition you don't use. Then use the rest.
    Be sure to check the drive frequently if you create partitions outside the bad section(s) to make sure the bad sectors don't grow. If they do, it's likely there's something physically wrong with the drive and should be discarded. That said, I have 3TB drive that I've partitioned to 1.5TB (skipping the first part of the drive that had bad sectors and hasn't changed) and it's been running fine for years. I use it only for temp files, so if it should suddenly die, nothing critical is lost.
    Last edited by lingyi; 6th Sep 2018 at 15:07.
    Quote Quote