VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I defragmented my hard disk the other day any it ruined my movies I had saved on it. Is there anyway to fix this problem?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How are your movies ruined That's odd because I have movie files on my hard drive from making back ups of my dvds. I defrag and the files are fine.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Defraging your harddrive shouldn't affect ur movies at all, unless you lost power or turned of your computer during the middle of it. How are they ruined?
    Quote Quote  
  4. If I'm not mistaken, degragging the disk moves files around to make things faster and more convenient for the disk to read...I degragged a disk once and XP lost a bunch of DLL files and I ended up having to reformat the disk.
    Quote Quote  
  5. what tool did you use to defrag?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    go to start/run then type in scanreg/restore to restore your registry files on a date before you defragged this could work
    Quote Quote  
  7. Sounds more like you did a system restore or regedit than a disk defrag....

Still..... Shouldn't cause many problems unless the system registry got REALLY cleaned up and happened to affect your files
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what version of Windows are you running?? It's true that Win98's default defrag program rearranges files so that your computer operates faster, but using other programs like Diskeeper or Vopt just reorganize your files so that it doesn't spend time trying to find them.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I have windows xp, I noticed that my movie was a little skippy. the audio and video would break up especially on high motion scences. I figured That my files needed to be defraged. So I went to system tools and ran a defrag on that partition cause it said that it needed one. It took for ever cause of my big files and all. Anyway, After it was done (12 hours later) I tried to replay my movie and it was like 10 times worse than before. all jumpy and skippy like its not getting enough ramm to play the movie or something.
    Quote Quote  
  10. 12 hours seems a very long time, too long I'm running XP with a 60G harddrive, it's never taken more than 35 mins. Don't allow your drive to become so fragmented, I've experienced the same problem.

The ripping process uses a lot of resouces, make sure your not running any background programs.
    To see, one only has to look.
    To hear, one only has to listen.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most effective way of defragmenting a drive?

Format the sucka.
    "There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon." -- Raoul Duke
    Quote Quote  
  12. Having 2 huge video files on that drive is what made it take so long. My other partitions format in like 15 minutes. Anyway, the point is, the video files played back very clear at one time. Is there anyway to fix them cause I do not have the dvds anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I've also read that if you have a dedicated internet conn, unplug the sucker while you burn or encode due to adware or spyware apps that try to steal your system resources possibly causing dropped frames

Not even sure if it helps or not, or if it's true, but I do it out of habit now whenever I burn
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Noek wrote:
    I've also read that if you have a dedicated internet conn, unplug the sucker while you burn or encode due to adware or spyware apps that try to steal your system resources possibly causing dropped frames
    What does that have to do with defragging a drive? The post is about defragging a drive not about encoding and burning. Btw I burn and encode while I still have my internet connection & I have no problems with system resources or dropped frames when I capture.
    Quote Quote  
  15. defragging is good... not defragging is bad. defragging needs some spare space on the drive to defrag (at least 5-10% pref more). Also a drive will not be defragged in one go.. 3 or more defrags are needed to fully defrag a disk. After defragging re-boot your pc, as defrag will consume as much ram as possible, and they dont give it back when they finish!. defragging the registry can sometimes help.

DEFRAGGING IS Different to degragging and debagging. sorry to debunk your theory.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Defragging is good,

IMO Norton's SpeedDisk is better than the one built in Windows.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kano
    Having 2 huge video files on that drive is what made it take so long. My other partitions format in like 15 minutes. Anyway, the point is, the video files played back very clear at one time. Is there anyway to fix them cause I do not have the dvds anymore.
    Two huge video files? Sounds like you honked them up at the start. You should have a series of .IFO and .BUP files and a bunch of VTS_01_X.VOB files. No file will be larger than 1GB. If this is what you do have, the you can try to copy them to another logical drive, which should put them in close to a constiguous sequence.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  18. correction 2 huge folders with a number of vob files and what not inside.
    is there anyway to fix my movies?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by budz
    What does that have to do with defragging a drive? The post is about defragging a drive not about encoding and burning. Btw I burn and encode while I still have my internet connection & I have no problems with system resources or dropped frames when I capture.
    I was simply referring to his post above about skippy video and broken audio and video. Scroll up :P

And as far as the dedicated connection issue goes, it's more of a safeguard from what I got from the thread.

I've never gotten a major trojan horse or virus; however, I still use virus protection. That type of thing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you defrag and it "ruins" your info, it means it was ALREADY ruined before the defrag, whether you realized it yet or not.

Microsoft defrag sucks. Billy Boy Gates stole that tech from old Peter Norton years ago, and they went their own way since. Norton Utilities 7 and MSDOS6 defrag are identical. The Norton stuff still works best (Speed Disk), while the MS stuff is still a Norton wannabe.

Defragmenting does what it says ... DE-fragments files. Fragmentation can lead to data loss, and a very least, slow performance and read errors.

You cannot blame your problems on defrag.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote