VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. For some reason i'm not able to extract the subtitles from some mkv files

Well i can extract a subtitle file, but it's a broken file with no actual dialog in it just timings.

heres a link to one of the videos
    https://openload.co/f/C-64TBAN7mc

these are not hardsubbed files, the subtitles can actually be turned on/off in VLC (though not mpc for some reason)

anyone got any ideas how to get it out?
    Quote Quote  
  2. you can save them with a media player eg. potplayer can . I don't recall if mpchc or vlc can

Or just update your mkvtoolnix and/or GUI's that use it
    Quote Quote  
  3. well i'll try that later but even if it does work i have hundreds of files i need to extract.

and my mkvtoolnix is up to date.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Use a batch tool like mkvcleaver

But the style extracted is slightly malformed in this file. Not sure why. But the text/timing are there
    Quote Quote  
  5. open it up in notepad or some text editor - the text and timing are there but there are missing styles , malformed entries

ffmpeg / mkvtoolnix extract it the same way . Not sure why
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Tylerr View Post
    Well i can extract a subtitle file, but it's a broken file with no actual dialog in it just timings.
    Originally Posted by Tylerr View Post
    and my mkvtoolnix is up to date.
    Check again. With latest mkvtoolnix there should be no problem. (bug was fixed in 10.0.0)

As poisondeathray said these ASS subtitles are malformed (if you assume de-facto standard to be Aegisub style).

Workaround: use a libass based subtitle renderer. For example the one in VLC or mpv. For MPC-HC you can use AssFilterMod.

Fix: extract subtitles using up-to-date mkvtoolnix, fix like explained here, then remux.
    Quote Quote  
  8. hmm well i had version 13 and it wasn't working

updated to 14 and it does now.

thanks
    Quote Quote