VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okiedo, it's like this.
    I used to have a programme called Power Director (very limited, but it worked) and I used it to make movies with vob files. I made DV Avi files out of what I produced and burned that with Adobe Encore.
    But, I wanted more video editing abilities so I got Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 and it worked fine. I even got it to work with vob files! BUT. Once I burned it with Adobe Encore all the video footage was jittery (it seems like it plays four frames right, then skips one frame and plays the first of those four frames again, or something like that, it's flickering anyway).
    So I thought... well then to hell with those vob files I'll transfer them to DV Avi so I can edit them better anyway. And I did. BUT it still happened.
    In both instances tho all the Premiere effects didn't act like that at all AND I burned some of the DV Avi files I made for editing and those were flickering as well. So in other words it has nothing to do with Premiere.

In any case the vob files I used before that worked now show the same signs. It's driving me nuts as it looks fine on the computer but not on DVD, so I've already burned 20 DVDs or so to find out if what I did was right or not.
    Well, what I think might be the problem is that some codec I installed is faulty or something like that... but I just don't know how I could fix a problem like this. So if someone could please help me I'd be really grateful.

The programs I use to convert vob to dvavi (using the panasonic DV codec) are:
    First throught DVD decrypter (IFO mode)
    Then with Virtualdub making it AVI files. (not AVI1)
    (I also tried DVDx but that resulted in the exact same and a lot of pixels which you could see on screen. Also completely uncompressed video had the same effect)

If you need any more info, please ask me and thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Change the source field order in Premiere. I believe you right click on the clip in the timeline and select field order from the context menu.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not at home at the very moment, but would that fix it? Oo
    I did say that the same thing happened with DVAvi files that Premiere didn't even touch... I will try it tho!
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm pretty sure that's your problem. Encore should have a similar setting.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, I'll tell you what the result is or when I have a question!
    I really hope that fixes everything in a jiffy
    Quote Quote  
  6. Interlaced video is transmitted as alternating top and bottom fields. When that signal is captured pairs fields are woven together into frames. If the capture device started by capturing a top field, then added the next field, a bottom field, the video is top-field-first. If the capture device captured a bottom field, then added a top, the video is bottom-field-first. When played back, to display the fields in the correct temporal order, the output device needs to know which field of the pair to play first.

It sounds like your video is telecined film which typically has 3 progressive frames followed by 2 interlaced frames. With the progressive frames the field order doesn't matter, but with the interlaced frames it does. If the field order is backwards the video will play normal for three frames, then jump appear to jump forwards and backwards for a few frames, then normal again, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay... but why would the settings have changed? I used Encore before and nothing was wrong... and I am pretty sure I wouldn't normally touch such features... But your explenation (at least the second part) makes sense and would explain the trouble.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh my god, thank you very much! I had to see which of the four options suited me the best, but burning them all four at once helped a lot.

I can't tell you how grateful I am After a week of trying and dozens of DVDs wasted all I had to do was a small option change Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Your description of the symptoms was good enough to suggest field order was the problem.
    Quote Quote