VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have been advised that white thermal compound is silicone only and that I should use silver based instead for better results. How accurate is this?
    Last edited by kyrcy; 12th Jul 2020 at 13:25.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    google thermal paste reviews. lots of good ones out there. i use a diamond based one.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For what i know about it doesn't really matter that much, it may shave a few degrees of
    it is more important that there is a compound between de cpu and cooler rather than what. And don't use to much, a very thin layer is enough
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The shiny silver stuff is supposed to be more liquid than most other thermal compounds. The articles that I read warned that it isn't the ideal product for non-expert users because any excess that drips or flows where doesn't belong is difficult to completely remove.

For my most recent build, I bought Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste, 5.55g in part because it was supposed to be easier to apply than some other products. As a first-time thermal paste user, I was pleased with the product and the relative ease of application.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes a problem with silver/metal pastes is that if you apply too much and it squeezes out onto the motherboard it is conductive and can short/fry the entire motherboard.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. I've been an Arctic Silver fan for years. Good price and good performance. There are better thermal compounds, but I'm not chasing perfection.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
    I've been an Arctic Silver fan for years. Good price and good performance. There are better thermal compounds, but I'm not chasing perfection.
    Which thermal compound from Arctic Silver are you using?
    Quote Quote