VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Does it serve a purpose to convert a DIXV file to AVI.

Can AVIdemux convert without re-encoding?

I don't want to download any additional codecs and I want to be able to play the files right on Windows Media Player. I am running Windows 7.

Thanks,
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Divx container is basically an AVI container with extra user data fields. If AVI Demux can open the .Divx file, just asve it again as a .AVI file, with both Video and Audio set to Copy. Or use Virtualdub in Direct Stream Copy mode for both Audio and Video, and again output to an AVI container.

Why would you do this ?

Some stand alone players simply don't recognise files with extensions other than AVI. You could just change the extension to AVI, and it may work, as the two containers are very close. However a player may take offense at the extra fields, so streaming the content to an AVI container ensures a clean file.

Note : The Divx container was developed to allow Divx to offer authoring features such as chapters and menus under their Divx Ultra branding, with backwards compatibility for non-Ultra players. If you stream to an AVI container, you will lose these features if they are present in the Divx file.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Many thanks... Yes Avidemux was able to open and copy the video and audio contents to AVI without further encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  4. As guns1inger pointed out, you could probably have just renamed the file from Whatever.divx to Whatever.avi.
    Quote Quote