VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello!

There are many DVDs in which the movie or concert was recorded in 16:9 format, but the DVD itself is not 16:9 but 4:3.

If it's possible, how can I fill the two, top and bottom, black bars to fill the whole 4:3 screen? If I can do that, I can watch the DVD in 16:9 without the black bars on a 16:9 monitor.

Or, how can I crop the video to make the DVD a 16:9 DVD as it should be?

Any help?
    Thanks in advanced.

See attached picture.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	16.9 material on a 4.3 DVD.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	1770  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Rebuilder has an option to do this for you. It will crop the video, resize and re-encode, then put it all back together with the original menus etc.

Note : Not all widescreen material is 16:9. Much of it is wider, so standard cropping for 16:9 display may still leave black bars. The only way around this is to manually crop off some of the image as well until what's left fills the screen. Personally I have never seen any black bars on any movie, so I don't understand the need for doing this type of cropping. But for 4:3 letterbox to 16:9 widescreen, DVD Rebuilder is the simplest option.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you plan to convert your DVD to AVI file??? If yes, then AutoGK is the simplest tool to use, it will automatically crop up the black areas and your AVI file will be as per your requirements, e.g AVI file will automatically conform to 16:9 aspect ratio.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies. I actually want to keep the video in DVD format. I will try DVD Rebuilder.

Willy.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wanted to try it, but it must use a very expensive encoder to make it work. Is there another option less expensive?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Rebuilder ships with a number of free encoders, including the high quality HCEnc. CCE is optional, and with HCEnc being free, CCE is now unnecessary. You do not need anything other than the free download to use DVD Rebuilder.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote