VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Trying to letterbox an XVID .avi with audio passthrough, I'm getting fast scrolling error messages [hundreds of them] as above. Any attempt to reencode audio on the source leads to loss of synch.

Get Info on source:

"VIDEO: [XVID] 640x272 12 bpp 23.976 fps 789.2 kbps (96.3kbyte/s)
    audiocodec: framecopy (format=55 chans=2 rate=48000 bits=0 B/s=15880 sample=0."

Any attempt to extract an mp3 from the avi leads to a shorter file - out of synch. Burning subs on older binaries failed to synch the subs too, though they burn fine on the newer binaries (at mencoder default only - a known limitation).

Anyone have any ideas why this happens and how to work around this?

Process Information: "error, non monotone timestamps nnnnn >= nnnnn" where n=a number
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Seems like an ffmpeg bug.

Workaround is extract the sound.
    Do the encodings without sound.
    Adjust the mp3 manually to synchronize (I added/subtracted blank spaces in Amadeus).
    Mux the video and sound file in the Tools pane as .avi.
    Et voila!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by etruscan
    Trying to letterbox an XVID .avi with audio passthrough, I'm getting fast scrolling error messages [hundreds of them] as above. Any attempt to reencode audio on the source leads to loss of synch.
    Anyone have any ideas why this happens and how to work around this?
    I would suggest to try some other tools to rebuild/extract the tracks before processing the video track.
    With D-Vision, you may try :
    - rebuilding the movie (tools > .avi and .mpg re-encoding panel > copy/extract tab)
    - extracting audio and video stream

You can also try avidemux.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info, Jean-Philippe, will see what D-Vision does.

D-Subtitler, I don't use: can't convert idx/sub to .srt, and doesn't even have a [Renumber Subs] button. I drop mine on a spreadsheet for renumbering, flagging overlapping times, and dialogs that are too short.

avidemux download is in unknown format for me.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by etruscan
    avidemux download is in unknown format for me.
    If you get a .dmg.bz2 file, rename it to straight .dmg before double-clicking it. I think Safari already decodes .bz2 on the fly without removing the extension. Then if you were opening the file with BOMArchiveHelper (Mac OS X included archive helper) it would try to decode an already decoded file, thus resulting in file corruption.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for that. Filename extension was truncated to d.bz2 - renaming to .dmg or .d.dmg failed to work. Renaming to .dmg.bz2 did the business. X11 launched after a cryptic dialog box saying I already had a ~/xintric or something and would I like to set it aside? [I clicked No] and aviddemux launched and extracted a problematic audio file - 11MB of mp3 from a 181MB .avi almost instantly.

(Just for the record)
    [OS 10.3.9][/b]
    Quote Quote