VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I'm looking for a DVD region hack for the new UltraHD SAMSUNG UBD-K8500/XU . UK.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You've done like.....zero homework on this have you?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I checked the forums for any listing. I know UHD Bluray are region free. Im wanting the dvd region code changed like I did my older Samsung bluray. Your sarky comment was unwarranted as 8 specified the dvd region hack in my original post.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    New players can't be hacked
    If you have a lot of DVDs from a different region you got two choices
    Buy a player for that region
    Or
    Rip/copy the discs to your PC then burn a new region free copies
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by john.tequila View Post
    I'm looking for a DVD region hack for the new UltraHD SAMSUNG UBD-K8500/XU . UK.
    If Blu-ray players are any example, it won't be possible to make most UHD Blu-ray players region free for DVD with simple remote code hacks. Most Blu-ray players require hardware modification and/or custom firmware to make them region-free for DVD. Some region-free players sold here are supposedly imported gray-market items obtained from countries in the Middle East where most customers would not buy a player with region code restrictions.

I checked at one of the US region-free specialty retailers. They have a Samsung UBD-K8500 available for sale ($699) that is region free for Blu-ray and DVD. I would suggest that you check UK-based region-free specialty retailers for a player that will be region free out of the box.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    This will only make the DVD region free NOT the Bluray!

*NOTE* You will also need a TV remote with a return button and number pad that controls the BRP, like a Samsung TV remote.

1. Ensure that there is no disc in the tray.
    2. Switch the player off and then back on. This is necessary to reboot the
    firmware.
    3. Wait until the main menu page appears and the player stops doing
    anything.
    4. Press the eject button to open the tray
    5. Press the eject button to close the tray.
    6. Wait while the player searches for a disc.
    7. As soon as the "No Disc" message appears at the top left corner do the
    following.

** You MUST do this BEFORE the 'No Disc' at top right disappears**
    (Take your time and do it quickly but calmly, don't pause between button presses, you've got about 5sec)

8. Press the REPEAT button.
    9. Enter 76884 on the number pad.
    10. The region code "4" should appear at the top right corner of the screen in a black box
    11. Enter a "9" to make the player region free, Only press it once.
    12. Press the power button to turn unit off, wait 10sec and turn it on again.
    13. Insert a DVD with different region to your own to ensure it worked.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Busboi66 View Post

*NOTE* You will also need a TV remote with a return button and number pad that controls the BRP, like a Samsung TV remote.

firmware.
    anything.
    following.

(Take your time and do it quickly but calmly, don't pause between button presses, you've got about 5sec)

10. The region code "4" should appear at the top right corner of the screen in a black box
    This is not working for me unfortunately. I tried programming my Harmony 350 to the SAMSUNG BD-E5300 remote, which has the Repeat button, and I followed the above instruction but it doesn't work. Any other ways to hack the DVD region on the K8500?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Naboo79 View Post
    Originally Posted by Busboi66 View Post

firmware.
    anything.
    following.

This is not working for me unfortunately. I tried programming my Harmony 350 to the SAMSUNG BD-E5300 remote, which has the Repeat button, and I followed the above instruction but it doesn't work. Any other ways to hack the DVD region on the K8500?
    Has this player been hooked up to the Internet and updated to the latest version ??
    If so then the player might not be able to be unlocked/hacked.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If your older Samsung bluray allows the dvd region code to be changed, then your best bet is probably to keep it and use it for playing DVDs. Even if the new units have region backdoors then, if they are internet connected and can therefore phone home for firmware updates, the feature will probably disappear as soon as it becomes publicised.

For DVDs however, I recommend just ripping them to a hard drive and using a media player. This side-steps the regionalisation issue entirely. Plus, it's much more convenient than hunting through piles of plastic discs whenever you want to play something - esp if you have a large collection. Even better, use something like Plex to organise the collection once it's ripped. It takes a bit of time up front, but will give a much better experience in the long run.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Originally Posted by Naboo79 View Post

firmware.
    anything.
    following.

Has this player been hooked up to the Internet and updated to the latest version ??
    If so then the player might not be able to be unlocked/hacked.
    I did indeed update the firmware when I brought the unit home. I guess the region hack doesn't work on the latest FW.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't find a "Repeat"buttonWhat does it look Like?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hey guys, thanks for posting the Region Free hack for the SAMSUNG UBD-K8500

The hack worked FINE for me. I got my player a week ago

I tried a region 1 DVD which initially failed to load

The firmware version was up to date at the time ver 1009, I am hard wired to my net always but just incase I have now turned off the AUTO update

I used the TV remote that came with my Samsung tv, the blu ray player is connected to it via HDMI

I first turned on the TV
    then Turned on the blu ray player MANUALLY , then I confirmed the TV remote was now controlling the Blu ray player (it did so automatically and I tested by moving the highlighting cursor left to right)

I followed the instructions as posted previously however step 8 I used the RETURN button not the repeat as listed in the instructions , I think that's a typo)

Anyway I definitely saw the 4 in the right hand of the screen and changed it to 9

After woods I tried the Region 1 DVD and it worked fine

thank you, I did not buy this for multiregional DVD play back but it was nice to know it was possible.

PS I used the remote from step 8 to and inc 11 otherwise I used the touch panel on the blu ray
    Last edited by ode1online; 13th Feb 2017 at 05:45.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by ode1online View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for posting the Region Free hack for the SAMSUNG UBD-K8500

The hack worked FINE for me. I got my player a week ago

I tried a region 1 DVD which initially failed to load

The firmware version was up to date at the time ver 1009, I am hard wired to my net always but just incase I have now turned off the AUTO update

I used the TV remote that came with my Samsung tv, the blu ray player is connected to it via HDMI

I first turned on the TV
    then Turned on the blu ray player MANUALLY , then I confirmed the TV remote was now controlling the Blu ray player (it did so automatically and I tested by moving the highlighting cursor left to right)

I followed the instructions as posted previously however step 8 I used the RETURN button not the repeat as listed in the instructions , I think that's a typo)

Anyway I definitely saw the 4 in the right hand of the screen and changed it to 9

After woods I tried the Region 1 DVD and it worked fine

thank you, I did not buy this for multiregional DVD play back but it was nice to know it was possible
    Interesting. Which model is your Samsung TV? Just curious what remote to use..
    Quote Quote  
  14. Naboo79

Interesting. Which model is your Samsung TV? Just curious what remote to use..

My tv is Samsung ua65KS9000w
    I'm guessing u can enter that into your harmony remote..

good luck..

PS I believe step 8 is a typo as the beginning of the instructions states

#*NOTE* You will also need a TV remote with a return button and number pad that controls the BRP, like a Samsung TV remote.#
    Last edited by ode1online; 13th Feb 2017 at 05:12.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Probably a dumb question but how did you get the Samsung TV remote to control the Blu ray player as opposed to the tv?
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm guessing it was the anynet feature kicking in.
    That's why I mentioned my Bluray was directly connected to the TV via HDMI
    But to be honest Ive own them both for 1 week so I'm no expert.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Once the change (hack) is complete and you update the FW, will the hack hold?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by jrhslick View Post
    Once the change (hack) is complete and you update the FW, will the hack hold?
    I believe so. I updated mine to current frimware before trying myself.
    I think it was just speculation that from previous posters that the hack had been fixed as they were unable to perform it themselves.
    The hack was put there by SAMSUNG , its not a bug a all, so why would they remove it ?

PS After I successfully unlocked my player my mate purchased the BD-H6500 (he has no use for 4k)
    With the instructions I posted he was able to unlock his. His Player came with a remote that had Numbers and the Return Button.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I'm not sure what the issue is with mine but I've been trying and trying but having no luck. I have a JS9000 linked up to the player using AnyNet so my remote works. I've tested the Smart remote and Samsung remote and they're working fine on the player. I've followed all the steps and pressing the code etc but nothing appears on screen. I've tried about 100 times so far and checked batteries etc. Does the unit have to physically powered off each time you try or is it ok to go to stand by? All I can see when I've entered the last digit of ...4 is (no disc) then it goes off. Maybe I'm missing something or not typing fast enough.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Did anyone from UK manage to get the DVD part to be multiregion using these steps? I have tried many times but no luck. I found the Samsung tv remote was far too slow so I downloaded a Samsung remote app where you can program the buttons quickly (you only get about 3 secs to input the numbers) but had no joy. I checked it was responding by using the arrow buttons and other options seem to work with the remote app and the blue light comes on showing it has received the signal. Appreciate any help. I think the 76884 is for Australian players so I have also tried using RETURN [and REPEAT] with 57538 also but no joy. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM

firmware.
    anything.
    following.

Got mine working! It was on the Australian model with latest firmware 1009. I used the old Sammy BD remote with number keys. Toke about 10 or so tries. Thank you very much!
    Last edited by stew181; 15th Apr 2017 at 14:27.
    Quote Quote  
  22. ***Got mine working! It was on the Australian model with latest firmware 1009. I used the old Sammy BD remote with number keys. Toke about 10 or so tries. Thank you very much! ***

Nice one, glad someone else got it working.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Has anybody got it working with a UK model? The NO DISC stays on screen for less than 3 secs so it's pretty much impossible to enter any of the codes using the Samsung tv remote. I have the latest firmware 1009 and appreciate any help.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thankyou every one, this worked for me used universal TV remote with Samsung TV, it is all interlinked so TV remote worked on blue ray player Samsung oled TV with Samsung sound bar and 4k ultra blue ray k8500, just used blue ray remote to open close disc then the rest from TV remote, worked a treat first go, hard part was programing the remote to tv. Firmware 1011
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    I just can't get this hack to work. UK player here.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    have to be quick, NO DISC is only there for a few seconds , do immediately, do not wait for no disc, and try the return button, or back button, depending on your remote
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Kadmus, is your remote interlinked, ie operates tv as well as blue ray ? is TV connected via smart system and HDMI , ie will blue ray when disc is inserted or turned on turn on sound bar and TV as well, if not ensure remote is active for blue ray , ie will operate blue ray
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search PM
    Hey, I have a sony TV so I bought a AK59-00104R remote control that does operate the bluray player. I was waiting for No Disc to show up before attempting it so maybe that's it.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    Tried it again a few times, not waiting for No Disc this time. Still can't get it to work
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it should work , the units are all the same and have this feature built in so the machines can be programed for each region, my tv and bluray is interlinked, so I used the tv remote , that does not work the bluray , but the function comands still went through to the bluray through the tv , must be a timing thing
    Quote Quote