VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

Can anyone confirm this for region 2 player. I'm in process of buying a blueray player and I need to make it DVD region free, because I have quite a few region 1 DVD discs.

https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks?dvdplayer=philips+BDp+5100&hits=50#31224

Best regards
    Last edited by RottieSLO; 10th Feb 2011 at 04:28.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Yes the hack works, however, once you have updated the player to the latest software release (v1.53) you will need to re-apply the hack, and it will no longer play R1 FOX DVDs and some R1 Paramount ones (Flash Gordon). Others play fine.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks. Do you know the reason why it wont play those DVDs? Have they any known security feature that prevent hack to work properely?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I think Fox uses advanced region coding. It's not the player's screen that says you can't play the disc, it's a screen from the DVD itself as it's Fox branded. I tried all my Region 1 Fox dvds (including Buffy the Vampire Slayer, to a Bill Cosby DVD and more the more recent Moulin Rouge) and they all gave the same Fox branded, can't play this disc, screen. They played fine before the software upgrade. All my other Region 1 DVDs, with the exception of a Paramount Flash Gordon, play fine.

(I've not yet had time to try bypassing the screen, ie pressing stop when the disc goes in, then pressing Menu to try to go straight to the menu, which I believe can work on some other players).

You don't have to upgrade the software on the player, but you may need to in order to play Avatar.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I read that Avatar only needs firmware v1.30. Do you have download link for v1.30 firmware by any chance? At Philips webpage is available only the latest version (v1.53).

Version: V1.53
    This software upgrade* enables you to enjoy Philips NetTV online services.
    *: For future software upgrades from ver.1.53, please download the future software versions from www.philips.com/support site only & upgrade your player via USB.

Version: V1.30
    Improve playback of ‘AVATAR’ Blu-ray disc.
    Improve Wi-Fi wireless performance with Philips Wi-Fi USB adapter, WUB1110.
    - Improve DLNA performance.
    Last edited by RottieSLO; 17th Feb 2011 at 05:07.
    Quote Quote  
  6. yes, but unfortunately, my player came with a lower version than that
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    One more question
    In the thread with a hack doesn't say what button do you press after you enter all the numbers Do I have to press anything or not?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I just turned the player off, then turned it back on again (may or may not be necessary). Nothing shows on the screen after you enter the last digit.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

I have a Philips BDP5100 with firmware 1.53. Tried to use the code.

When I unlocked a pihlips player in the past, I had access to a hidden menu in order to change the DVD region.

used the method here: https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/philips-bdp5100/10851

Followed the procedure by turning on the Bluray player, making there is no disc, pressing the home key, releasing the home key, and typing the numbers.

What looks strange to me is after typing the number I don't get any message telling me the region has change. In addition, I don't have access to any hidden menu allowing me to change the region of the dvd and bluray.

Can someone clarify what is supposed to happen on the player please? That would be very helpful.

About the procedure:
    - can you confirm you have to release the home key (not keeping it pressed) before typing the numbers?
    - is the unlock process transparent?
    - is there a way to see in the menus that the player is unlocked?

I did type the numbers fast enough. As explained, it is not the first time I unlock a dvd player with a code.

Just to make my message clearer: I am not saying the code doesn't work. It is just I would like more details about the process. At the moment, I don't have any disc to try so was wondering...

Thank you for the further details and explanations.

Looking forward to reading you,
    all the best,

Bertrand
    Quote Quote  
  11. with no disc in the player, have the "No Disc' area highlighted on the Home Menu.
    Press and release the Home key
    press the following number sequence (just press as fast as you would say the sequence):
    1 3 8 9 3 1 0

Switch the player off, switch it back on and try playing a Region 1 disc.
    Depending on your player's software version you may or may not be able to play a FOX Region 1 DVD. I could play FOX region 1 until I upgraded to the latest software version, now they will not play. Other studios do work.

I can confirm that nothing displays on the screen to confirm the change and there is no 'secret menu' displayed.

(I would suspect that the '0' on the end is for multi-region and that changing that number to a 1, or a 2 would change it to regions 1 or 2 respectively)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    dmk, thanks a lot for the details!

You are talking about turning the player on and off, and changes from region 0 to 1 or 2.
    Do you mean the code allows to change the dedicated region of the players? This would mean in that order to go back to another region I would have to reapply the process again.
    Or, is the process enough once and for all? meaning the player will keep playing all regions for DVDs, and will accept certain blurays of another region.

your message is very useful
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Firmware upgrades may break the ability to make any player region free.

Hardware changes during production may break hacks that worked in the past.

Note that entering such codes, if they work, will almost certainly only give you DVD region free playback and will not make your player region free for BluRay playback.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    dmk seems to have practical experience on an actual bdp5100. Do you?
    Your warning makes sense anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Do you mean the code allows to change the dedicated region of the players?
    I have not tested changing to dedicated regions as Region 0 (multi-region) is good enough for me.

and will accept certain blurays of another region.
    The hack only works for DVD multiregion playback, NOT Blu-ray.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    DVD is enough for me.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bertrandh View Post
    Your warning makes sense anyway.
    That's why I gave it, but thanks for being an ass anyway with your comment right above that line in your post.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Pointing that dmk had practical experience was implying that I wondered if you had too. That was no offence intended. And, never thought you were not reliable. Just trying to know what brought you to these points.

You are forgiven (for the ass part) - of course - as it is easy to misread a comment. Misunderstandings come too easily in writings.

Hope this clears the communication problem.

Thank you for your time in replying and bringing 'light' in the discussion.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    source: http://www.multi-region.net/philips

To check the current region
    1. Power on with no disc inside
    2. Press HOME
    3. Enter 8520
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bertrandh View Post
    source: http://www.multi-region.net/philips

To check the current region
    1. Power on with no disc inside
    2. Press HOME
    3. Enter 8520

This indeed shows me that DVD are region free (0) but Blu ray region B. How could I make this player also region free for Blu rays?? Please help.. is there some code??
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmm...same code as the Seiki BD660. The Philips however can't be made region free for Blu Rays? The Seiki (BDP3000 clone) can...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Jeroen_es View Post
    This indeed shows me that DVD are region free (0) but Blu ray region B. How could I make this player also region free for Blu rays?? Please help.. is there some code??
    Read.....

Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Note that entering such codes, if they work, will almost certainly only give you DVD region free playback and will not make your player region free for BluRay playback.
    Originally Posted by dmk View Post
    The hack only works for DVD multiregion playback, NOT Blu-ray.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Has there been any way to remove the region code block for Blu-rays? I already did the DVD one, and it works. My blu-ray is DVD region code free, but not Blu-ray and I NEED it.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    I don't know. I never tried that, because I didn't need it.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are relatively few Blu-Ray or DVD players which can be made region free for DVD with a hack and there are virtually no Blu-Ray players that can be made region-free for Blu-Ray with a hack.

These days if someone wants a region-free Blu-Ray player, they should buy from a specialty retailer who performs hardware modifications on the players they sell to make them permanently region free. Even then, region free playback is sometimes only possible for DVD.
    Quote Quote