VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My dad had our old 8mm films transferred to DVD, however some of the film is misaligned so that the bottom of the film is on top of the screen as if the film is cut in half and put in the wrong order.

I don't know exactly what to call that, so I'm having trouble even googling it. But the film looks vertically off-center.

Does anyone know of a Avisynth filter or other way to fix that? It would need to move the top of the frame to the bottom where it belongs. There's also some film jitter that might complicate things because it changes the position of the split.

Here is an ASCII illustration of the issue.

Code:
    |-----------------------|
    |     Bottom of Film    |
    |=======================|
    |                       |
    |      Top of Film      |
    |-----------------------|
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    It's called framing error. It's not the same frame cut in half. It's the bottom of a preceding frame and the top of a following frame. Your dad should go back to whoever transferred the film and make them redo it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I see what you mean about it not being cut in half. I'll see if he can get it redone. Is there any way to fix it with Avisynth or some other way?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not really. That adjustment needs to be made in the projector. And is very easy in real time.

To leave it like that is sloppy and careless.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by tom_nito View Post
    I see what you mean about it not being cut in half. I'll see if he can get it redone. Is there any way to fix it with Avisynth or some other way?
    If you can't get it scanned properly you can improve the situation with AviSynth. Especially if the framing error remains constant. It's much harder if the error moves up and down with time. And you will not be able to restore portions of the frame that weren't captured. If you can upload a sample video I'll take a look at it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I've uploaded a 10-second sample.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting to see if jagabo can work any magic on that.

I was responding to a situation I have seen where the film-gate could be corrected with a control wheel so you saw a complete,steady frame at projection. Here you have a jumpy image which could be caused by the film or the projector or both.
    Quote Quote