VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone !

This is a repost of my own post over at doom9 forums. I felt like it belonged here too.

I present you my latest project : SubXtractor, a semi-automated hardcoded subtitle extractor

Q: What does it do ?
    A: With limited user input, this software outputs SRT subtitle files that would have taken a lot of manual labor to produce !

Q: Who is it for ?

A: Anyone that want to extract hardsubs from a video and that value their time.

Q: There are other programs like SubExtractor that do just that, so why a new one ?
    I tried a couple of them and they had issues like : windows-only, tedious to use, required a lot of user input, had poor OCR performance, were or relied on proprietary/paid software, were deprecated/unmaintained (most tools are 10+ years old) or flat-out didn't work.

Q: Why did you code this ?
    A: I needed to extract subtitles from a collection of videos and didn't want to go insane doing it manually and couldn't find tools that were both performant and easy to use.

Q: Why write about it here ?
    A: Even though I never registered as a user, I have often found plenty of tools and information in this community and wanted to give back a little something of my own. (yes, this includes the VideoHelp forums too)

Q: Can I try it for myself ?
    A: Absolutely ! It works on any OS that meets requirements (at least Windows and Debian-based Linux like Ubuntu) and it's completely free software. I would greately appreciate any feedback !

Information about changelog, requirement, installation insntructions, etc are nicely laid out on the dedicated GitLab repository.

Honestly I'm simply proud of my first public tool and would like to contribute to the sum of audiovisual free software.

Afterword
    As indicated above this is my first post on these forums, so I'm not that familiar with the by-laws. Please tell me if I did an oopsie and I will try to correct.

Update 2021-06-07
    v1.1.0 is out with a major overhaul of the VapourSynth script, allowing for streamlined support of subtitles of (multiple) colors !

Everything is on GitLab; Any feedback is appreciated !
    Quote Quote  
  2. Requires way too much hassle for simple users to use. There's already a great solution for what u invented called VideoSubFinder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great work mate! Thank you for sharing it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by qaqaqaq View Post
    Requires way too much hassle for simple users to use. There's already a great solution for what u invented called VideoSubFinder.
    You may be correct. VideoSubFinder does offer a different proposition, perhaps more suited for the less tech-savvy thanks to its intuitive GUI interface. I'm happy it exists and fullfills your use-case !

But as you may have read in the original post, it also has drawbacks : Non-FOSS software, relies on paid software, windows-only, etc. These drawbacks may not be an issue for most, but it's a dealbreaker for others.

On a personal note, I haven't had luck using VideoSubFinder on colored or semi-transparent subtitles, which in part motivated me to spend weeks on SubXtract. And maybe someone with experience crafting GUIs or packaging applications will pick up my project and make it as usable as VideoSubFinder is today.

Now if you have suggestions on how to tweak the user experience for the better I'm open for suggestions ! (you can also post them in the "issues" section in gitlab")
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by qaqaqaq View Post
    Requires way too much hassle for simple users to use. There's already a great solution for what u invented called VideoSubFinder.
    I have to agree here. Command lines and pythons and scripts aren't for everyone. A simple user interface is what a majority of people is looking for. I think so far VideoSubfinder is the one of the best extractors out there. It has problems but it's not as bad a people are making it out to be. Plus you can you used a free OCR that's not ABBY Fine Reader.
    So it's a win.

I kinda wish these coders just come out and say you will have to know coding and line commands and a good GPU before all the talking points.
    Quote Quote  
  6. thank you for the app. i have been testing the app. here is one issue i found

this is the .sup file
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/g2tn5ipmsopi97u/Mr.Mercedes.S02E04.sup/file

line 817
    https://i.postimg.cc/CLZC4wfj/image.png

this is the spelling error gave:
    https://i.postimg.cc/R0CLKK10/image.png
    Quote Quote