VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi

I have some old DV-AVI (720x576, 25fps) that I want to convert to a DVD-compliant format and add to my DVD project and burn.

I just wonder if I need to resize my videos to look good on my DVD player?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You shouldn't have to resize.

Just use regular dvd compliant mode and you are set to go - pal in your case.

The only issue you might run into is whether or not it was widescreen or full screen. If its widescreen you'll need to author it into widescreen.

if you need program suggestions for conversion and authoring check these out:

multiavchd
    avstodvd

Both will take the dv-avi file and create a fully authored video_ts folder than you can burn to dvd.

This website recommends you burn using imgburn and using taiyo yuden or verbatim blank dvds for best results.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks!

Just want a file to import to my dvd authoring software. Then I just encode with mainconcept, hc enc or avstodvd.

I encoded as PAL 4:3. It seems good on the DVD when I change to 4:3 on my TV. With 16:9 I think the people look fat. But that's maybe how it works, I can't get it look good on both 4:3 and 16:9.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The people look 'fat' on a 16:9 screen because your tv is stretching the image.

The dvd player must be set at 4:3 for a 4:3 dvd.

If you want to make a 16:9 dvd you will need to crop 72 lines from the top of your picture and 72 lines from the bottom and then encode the result at 720*576 16:9 - you now have an anamorphic 16:9 clip to make as a dvd. The disadvantage here is that you will lose some detail from your original video.

If you just want to keep the 4:3 dvd you can use the zoom function of your player but, again, you will lose top and bottom detail.

Some tvs have other settings which can fill the 16:9 frame from a 4:3 image but not distort the picture so much eg Sony's 'Wide' mode.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks, very good answer I think I make a 4:3 DVD.

But if I change my mind and want to make a 16:9 DVD. What about this script?

AviSource("C:\Movie.avi")
    Spline36Resize(720,432)
    AddBorders(0,72,0,72)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am not into avisynth but I fail to see the purpose in adding borders.

I would have thought it would be crop and then resize. If you then look at the 720*576 image it will look somewhat squashed - people look taller. That is then corrected in the mpeg encoding and playback as 16:9
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ok, I'm not good at avisynth but maybe this is better:

AviSource("C:\Movie.avi")
    Crop(0,72,-0,-72)
    Spline36Resize(720,576)

Looks better in the computer. But haven't burned it yet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Better be wary also of interlacing. Check the avisynth docs.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!