VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I ripped the movie "Crash" using DVDFab decrypter(the free version). When I tried to open it in DVD shrink, it would not open it. I then ran the files through FixVTS1.25, When I tried to open the resulting DVD folder in DVD shrink I got an error message that says "Error message, DVD shrink encountered an error and cannot continue. Failed to read file C:\etc\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB. Invalid access to memory location". Anybody have any suggestions? Also when I used FixVTS1.25 I dragged and dropped the VIDEO_TS.VOB file in the DVD folder to Fix VTS1.25. Now I do not see that file in the folder anymore. Did the FixVTS app. keep the file and does that make a difference?Is that maybe because I used the no backup method?

Lately most movies I try to rip with DVDshrink will not rip. It did not fail as often when I first started using it. Now almost every DVD I try fails to rip for one reason or the other. I usually have to resort to DVDFab decrypter or CladDVD. With the later two I have to rip the entire disk to get the files. I also use DVDDecrypter but when shrink fails it usually fails too.
    Old as dirt, still hungry to know stuff
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Neither Shrink nor DVD decrypter have been updated in some time, and neither ware likely to be updated again (Decrypter certainly wont). DVD Fab Decrypter or AnyDVD are the two simplest methods to rip a disk, however you must keep them updated. This basically means updating them at least once a week.

The author of DVD decrypter was, however, one smart cookie. DVD decrypter is still capable of beating all the protection around. It just needs a hand. RipIt4Me is a program that does just that.

I have never used DVD Shrink to rip, but I still think DVD decrypter is one of the best ripping apps around, and RipIt4Me means it will continue to be for some time to come.

So you can either use RipIt4Me, or download DVD Fab Decrypter every few days to keep up.

Oh, and next time, have a look at the stickies at the top of the forum. Escpecially the one that says in very big letters "I can't rip with DVD Shrink or DVD decrypter".
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you sincerely for the information. I had never heard of "ripitforme". I called myself looking through the stickys but i missed that. Thank you for responding to my question anyway. I had already tried ripping with the latest version I have of DVDFab, but last time I checked they were not updating the free version anymore. I did update the Claddvd even though they said it was not a significant update. How come nobody ever talks about CladDVD? Is it a really bad program for decryption? I have had some limited success with it. I have many questions about using it but I do not see any guides for it. Maybe my old eyes over looked it as well. Thanks again. Too late this A.M. to do it but will try crash first thing tomorrow.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Fab Decryper is still being updated frequently. Current version is 2.9.8.1, dated 15 July. Cladvd hasn't been updated since July 2005, and has been replaced by something called rip.net. rip.net uses DVD Fab Decrypter to rip full dvd structures, so you still have to keep DVD Fab Decrypter up to date to make it work.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use DVD decrypter in combo with DVD Shrink. It's the only way to get fully compliant files in some cases w/ the new encryption, when used in conjunction with other programs.

I'd try ripit4me to automate things. It will use DVD decrypter, Shrink, PGCedit, fixvts, as needed to beat whatever encrytion you may encounter.

Note that if the source dics is single layer, then you can just use iso mode in DVD decrypter to rip, then burn with imgburn from the mds file created. This will work most of the time.

iso mode will name the number of layers to let you now how many the disc has.

I think these programs are your best chance for problem-free discs.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks so much for all the help and suggestions. Ripitforme worked really great. I was able to rip "Crash" successfully and I tried "Basic Instincts 2" since it was mentioned and it ripped perfectly too. Thank you again!
    Quote Quote