VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This seems so simple, but I can't make it work. I've tried AVS video editor and convertor and also handbrake.
    It seems it will work if I apply the rotate and zoom effect in AVS, but the problem is the rotate turns it into this very small video in center of screen, so when I use the zoom effect, it becomes pixelated.

The annoying part is that I'm not even sure the video needs to be rotated. It lists the resolution as 1920x1080 in windows and when I play the file in MPC, it looks fine, but if I play in VLC or I try to edit the file in AVS or Camtasia, the aspect ratio is inverted.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Iphone video?
    Quote Quote  
  3. If the picture is sideways and you want it right side up, you'll have to rotate the video. You can't turn a 9:16 video into a 16:9 video without shrinking it and adding borders, or cropping and zooming, or some combination of the two.

Now you know not to shoot video with your phone held vertically.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Iphone video?
    Android

If the picture is sideways and you want it right side up, you'll have to rotate the video. You can't turn a 9:16 video into a 16:9 video without shrinking it and adding borders, or cropping and zooming, or some combination of the two.

Now you know not to shoot video with your phone held vertically.
    What software should I use to rotate the video without much degradation? The AVS video editor creates a very pixelated video after rotation. Is there anything better?
    Quote Quote  
  5. It displays perfectly in MPC (media player classic) without any manipulation. If MPC can just play it correctly like that, then what is going on with the encoding? Could the file somehow be altered to just force it to play correctly?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't know anything about avs video editor. If it has options for the resize filter you might be able to pick a sharper one. Typical resizing filters include (from least sharp to most sharp): bilinear, bicubic, lanczos. Or if it gives you a separate sharpening filter you can try using that. But keep in mind that sharpening, whether in the resizer or a separate filter, will exacerbate any blocky artifacts in your source.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I finally got the rotation working using camtasia.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did it with MPEG StreamClip freeware (Edit -> Rotate Video and I then I used File -> Export to MPEG-4 in stead of Save As).

I had a Vertical Video from my iPhone and I cropped some part of it on my PC. The result was a rotated video, making it annoying to watch if I would mail it to somebody else who would play it on a mobile phone.

So I used MPEG StreamClip to rotate the cropped video and it played perfectly vertical, both on Windows Media Player in a vertical window and on my iPhone, full screen in normal vertical position).

Another option I used in the past was www.videorotate.com where you can upload you horizontal video and download a vertical version of it, for free.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    please look at dates when responding, this is dead 19 month old topic
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Totally agree. Very disappointing that nobody came up with a free solution in all those 19 months and all this time vertical videos are becoming more and more popular.
    I just found yet another free solution: DVDVideosoft - Free Video Flip and Rotate v 2.2.41
    Works like a charm.
    Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    until TV and movie screens switch to vertical

taking vertical movies with cellphone is stupid and annoying

too get full screen you have to crop out way too much of the video frame
    because it is going to be displayed on a horizontal screen, if viewed on PC, TV, etc..

everything is 'wide screen' not 'high screen', even most mobile gaming, and all PC gaming
    holding the phone vertical for video is a 'lazy habit' from texting

people who used a camera before owning a cellphone, naturally hold it horizontal (the right way) when taking videos and pictures, unless doing portraits
    its called landscape mode and has been the default normal mode for 150 yrs
    Quote Quote