VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Has anyone noticed that exporting an image sequence in VirtualDub2 is 2 times slower than doing so with VirtualDub?

Maybe there's a setting I can change to get VirtualDub2 on par with VirtualDub?

Edit:
    Looked further into it.. VirtualDub2 doesn't have a dynamic compilation tab.. the processing thread activity is always at 100% on Dub2. It's around 70% on Dub.

I'm just curious about why it's half the speed of VirtualDub.
    Last edited by MFZ; 29th Aug 2018 at 21:12.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Does not seem any slower to me

What are you doing differently ? Any filters /operations ? What type of video is being loaded and what input driver ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Does not seem any slower to me

What are you doing differently ? Any filters /operations ? What type of video is being loaded and what input driver ?
    My results I posted here are without any filters.. It's an MP4 video. Input driver?

VirtualDub outputs @ ~7.5 FPS
    VirtualDub2 outputs @ ~3.3 FPS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by MFZ View Post

My results I posted here are without any filters.. It's an MP4 video. Input driver?

was that x86 or x64 versions ?

vdub classic cannot open MP4 ; it needs some plugins or input driver . vdub2 will usually default to the caching input driver. With the file loaded, you can check with file=>file information

vdub/vdub2 are about the same speed here for a png sequence export, but x64 version is slightly faster

Can you try another random video as input for a test ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MFZ View Post

was that x86 or x64 versions ?

vdub classic cannot open MP4 ; it needs some plugins or input driver . vdub2 will usually default to the caching input driver. With the file loaded, you can check with file=>file information

vdub/vdub2 are about the same speed here for a png sequence export, but x64 version is slightly faster

Can you try another random video as input for a test ?
    32 bit and 64 bit yield the same speed.

Oh, OK, I'll look into that and post the results..
    Quote Quote  
  6. Not sure why ; I just tried on another computer and they are the same speed there too

Are you using the most recent version of vdub2 ? Because one of the fixes affects image export

Version 19:

update 11 (build 42154)
    Code:
    fixed #159 (broken export of gif, apng, png, bmp, tga)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure why ; I just tried on another computer and they are the same speed there too

Are you using the most recent version of vdub2 ? Because one of the fixes affects image export

Version 19:

update 11 (build 42154)
    Code:
    fixed #159 (broken export of gif, apng, png, bmp, tga)
    Yea, I'm using build 42154.

Here's something kinda interesting.. I made VirtualDub2 use the same input driver as VirtualDub uses and the speed increased to 4.5 FPS.

It's probably just some low level shit dealing with certain CPUs. I have an i5-4460.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The speed difference seems to be exclusive to exporting JPEGs because PNGs actually export half a FPS faster on VDub2.

Here's something a developer may find interesting.. left is VDub, right is VDub2 doing the exact same thing exporting as PNG (quick compress).

[Attachment 46641 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by MFZ View Post
    The speed difference seems to be exclusive to exporting JPEGs because PNGs actually export half a FPS faster on VDub2.
    Do you mean JPEG export is slower compared to old VirtualDub?
    One reason could be, if you set jpeg quality to 100% there is jpeg subsampling disabled in vd2 (to compensate quite bad jpeg quality).

Speed differences may result from other fixes too, for example there were some mistakes in yuv to rgb conversions. To fix some of them I maybe used slower conversion procedures.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by shekh View Post
    Originally Posted by MFZ View Post
    Do you mean JPEG export is slower compared to old VirtualDub?
    One reason could be, if you set jpeg quality to 100% there is jpeg subsampling disabled in vd2 (to compensate quite bad jpeg quality).
    Yes, that is what I mean and the JPEG quality was at 100%.

Originally Posted by shekh View Post
    Speed differences may result from other fixes too, for example there were some mistakes in yuv to rgb conversions. To fix some of them I maybe used slower conversion procedures.
    That crossed my mind and it makes sense!

By the way, I appreciate the work you did with VDub2! And, thanks for posting to this thread.
    Quote Quote