VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    Just a little Public Service Announcement...

If you create ASS subtitles using any non-standard fonts, and you plan on uploading MKV files that use those ASS subs, be sure to attach the font file so anyone who uses that MKV file can install the fonts.

If the end user doesn't have the fonts installed, they won't be able to view the subtitles as you intended them, and you will have gone to all the trouble of formatting them just the way you wanted them for nothing.

For example, Geometr706 Md BT was used in the subtitles included in the MKV files for an entire season of anime I recently downloaded, but I don't have the font, and it is not attached. So when I view the files, or when I hardcode the subtitles into the videos, it defaults back to a basic sans serif font, and really looks atrocious. I have a couple of other fonts that people had used that I was able to find and download from the web, but I chose this particular example because when I tried to download that font, the one font site I use doesn't show any results for it, and another site that I use - although it does show links for that font - gives me a "URL unavailable" error for all the different links for the font. So I am now left with needing to redo all the subtitle styles so they don't look like crap.

So basically, whoever created the subs wasted their time formatting them, and now I have to waste my time reformatting them.
    Do or do not. There is no "try." - Yoda
    Quote Quote  
  2. You should air your concern to the subbing group of the anime you said...
    Most GOOD subbing groups attach the proper attachments...

My guess it was remuxed/recoded by another group (not the original subber) and not adding the proper attachments
    or they ripped off the subs off another group

Or simply searching the missing font online

Sheesh it took me a 3 second search to get this:
    https://www.download-free-fonts.com/details/119627/geometr706-md-bt-black
    Last edited by teodz1984; 9th Feb 2017 at 09:36.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You're kind of missing the point.

This is a forum about subtitles, is it not?

I'm just making a friendly reminder that people should be attaching their fonts. The fact that the font in my example can indeed be found online is beside the point (and you entirely ignore the possibility that someone might use a font that can't be found as easily). Even when the font can be found, it's still an inconvenience to the end users downloading the videos to have to look elsewhere, when as you say, GOOD subbers DO include the attachments.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm sure most of the subbers here are the good subbers...
    As I said if you know what sub group did it, go to their site or the amime specific forum and complain there..
    or just change groups
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by teodz1984 View Post
    I'm sure most of the subbers here are the good subbers...
    Maybe they are, and maybe they're not. You really don't know that, and neither do I. But you are not their champion, so I don't see why you seem to be responding as though my reminder was a personal attack against you. If it doesn't apply to you personally, then it wasn't meant for you, and you should just ignore it.

To be quite frank, you have no idea where else I have already posted this message, so your telling me where you think I should be posting it is unwarranted, unwelcome, and unnecessary. As are the rest of your remarks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I know well enough that a good subbing group is a welled oiled machine consisting of Translators, Timers, Typesetters, Encoders and Quality Control staff....I'm sure if the ones they release are complete.. Because they ensure their work is spot on. ( I've been an understudy a a few years ago, so i know the process)

unless if these subs were ripped/copied/leeched from someone/some other groups work and put in someone else's encode.... Probably explains the lack of attention to details.. and the lack of attachments
    Last edited by teodz1984; 11th Feb 2017 at 01:14.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Aaannd... You're still not helping.

I know well enough that a good subbing group is a welled oiled machine consisting of Translators, Timers, Typesetters, Encoders and Quality Control staff....I'm sure if the ones they release are complete.. Because they ensure their work is spot on.
    That's all well and good for someone who may be a member of such a group. But not everyone who creates subs works with a group. And no, that doesn't mean that they pirate someone else's work. This reminder is for any people who need the reminder, regardless of who they are or who they work with.

Again, if it doesn't apply to you, then just ignore it. But quit making comments that aren't helpful.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Good luck on your quest Quixiote
    Aegisub hasn't been updated in years 3.2.2 (December 8, 2014) And I'm sure the encoders get their dai;y X.264 X.265 builds directly from site..
    Stop being an OC or stop downloading those POS subs... You seem to be a match made in heaven
    Last edited by teodz1984; 11th Feb 2017 at 03:58.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Good luck on your quest Quixiote
    Aegisub hasn't been updated in years 3.2.2 (December 8, 2014) And I'm sure the encoders get their dai;y X.264 X.265 builds directly from site..
    Stop being an OC or stop downloading those POS subs... You seem to be a match made in heaven
    Oh, for the love of..... You call me Quixote?

I was just making a helpful reminder. You're the one who came in looking for a windmill to tilt at.

Buzz off already.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Since when do subbers care about their users...?
    Trust me they aren't listening .. are they dont care...
    Quote Quote  
  11. I thought awgie's post offered good advice.
    I enjoy playing with videos and adding subtitles as a hobby.

teodz1984, you may be an expert but I would guess most of the people visiting this site, such as myself, arent.
    We appreciate people like awgie for taking the time to point out the smaller things we may not have thought of.
    Quote Quote