VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear fellows.
    First of all forgive me if my english is not as good as it should be.
    Last February , 12 I received my brand new Canopus ADVC-300. I'm a very new-by in the video matters. I'm starting to do my edits with Final Cut Pro and make my DVD's with DVD Studio Pro 3. My computer is an iMac G4 800 MHz with 512 MB of RAM and 80 GB of HD running Mac OS 10.3 (Panther).
    When I decided to buy the Canopus converter, after asking some members on some video forums, I wanted a "bridge" to convert my VHS tapes, editing it an mixing it with photos to burn some dvd's. In some cases the tapes are originally taped in NTSC signal. They are tapes of movies and shows that I bought in the regular market. Some are tapes that I taped myself from TV. As you probably know, in my country (Brazil) the telvision signal is PAL-M. I have a LG VCR Cinemaster HI-FI Stereo (Nowadays the VCR's can identify automatically if the tape inside of it are NTSC or PAL, right ?). Following the manual I connected my VCR into the converter with the 3 RCA pins cable in the front and I also connected my computer into the front of the converter with the FireWire cable that came with the converter. But after all I only get BLACK AND WHITE images. Even being happy for the possibility of watching my tapes on the computer, that's not what I really want !! That's happened with the NTSC tapes. The ones taped from TV (PAL signal) I couldn't even see any images. It happened with the preview of the PICTURE CONTROLLER 300 (Canopus software) and with the "Log and Capture" feature of the FCP. I've been trying to see some COLOR for 2 days. During these days I tried with many different tapes and also changing the Canopus "setting" number 6 of the [SW1] DIP switch (Video Format) from OFF (NTSC) to ON (PAL) and vice versa. Please, help me !! I hope there is a person that has some acknowledge with the Canopus Converters. What should I do to see my tapes in color ? or What am I doing wrong ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi !
    Congrats with your new toy. You'll love it when you got it to work !!!
    I kind of remember that I had the same problem with no color when I first got the unit. I think it was solved with the right combination of dipswitc settings (PAL in combination with the correct IRE setting - read the manual) PLUS I think you have to use S-VHS cable for the video input to get color.
    Try that, and best of luck.
    Quote Quote