VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am a bit confused with certain software bitrate measurements. For example:

If a convert a video with Hybrid with say 1536 kbit/s Mediainfo tells me the bitrate is 1536 kb/s.

If a convert a video with Handbrake with say 1536 kbps Mediainfo tells me the bitrate is 1536 kb/s.

The difference being that Hybrid seems to use kilobit while Handbrake seems to use kilobytes and MediaInfo is saying 1536 kb/s
    for both while they seem to use different measurement.
    What I am most interested in is kbps. Also I was wondering if there were any free offline data size measurement tools.

Can someone please explain what is going on here? Thanks.
    Last edited by 60fpshacksrock; 1st Apr 2021 at 10:27.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Unfortunately, the usage of kb/s varies. It may men kilo bytes per second or kilo bits per second. You just need keep track of which each package uses. Personally, I use B for Byte and b for bit. But that's not universal.

And the "kilo" may mean 1000 or 1024 (aka kibi). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix Again, you just have to keep track of which the program uses.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Video bit rates are usually messured in kilo (= 1000) bit per second.
    (note that unlike streams, file size is usually measured with kilo (= 1024))
    kb is usually kilo (=1000) bit (used for data rates)
    where as
    KB is usually kilo (= 1024) byte (used for file sizes)

-> What makes you thing Handbrake uses kilo bytes/s instead of the usual kilo bit/s ?

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  4. Everything said here already Selur just leaves out the option kB which should then be 1000Bytes (data rate again, not used for file Size).

In Mediainfo's advanced output for example (-f on the commandline or Debug->Advanced+Debug->0 in GUI), we can access different representations of the values. I use this method to be sure to always retrieve the same representation programatically.
    Bit rate : 4608000
    Bit rate : 4 608 kb/s
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Video bit rates are usually messured in kilo (= 1000) bit per second.
    (note that unlike streams, file size is usually measured with kilo (= 1024))
    kb is usually kilo (=1000) bit (used for data rates)
    where as
    KB is usually kilo (= 1024) byte (used for file sizes)

-> What makes you thing Handbrake uses kilo bytes/s instead of the usual kilo bit/s ?

Cu Selur
    This
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  6. okay,..
    to sum it up:
    kbps stands for kilo (=1000) bit per second
    kBps stands for kilo (=1000) byte per second
    Kbps stands for kilo (=1024) bit per second
    KBps stands for kilo (=1024) byte per second

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    okay,..
    to sum it up:
    kbps stands for kilo (=1000) bit per second
    kBps stands for kilo (=1000) byte per second
    Kbps stands for kilo (=1024) bit per second
    KBps stands for kilo (=1024) byte per second

Cu Selur
    Okay. Thank you, and the others for the helpful information.
    Also, I was wondering if there was any free software to convert between the different data size formats.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It used to be worse, but things seem to have standardized.

Rules of thumb:

BIG "B" = Bytes
    little "b" = bits

If dealing with data rates, kilo/mega/etc almost always has meant base1000 (aka 10^3), unless otherwise specified.
    If dealing with storage space, kilo/mega/etc almost always meant base1024 (aka 2^10), unless otherwise specified, though this was not always true*. (Quoted numbers will be smaller than if per the other kilo.)

It would be really nice if everyone got on board with SI standard: kilo (1st) vs kibi (2nd).

Once you know the difference, and why/how it came about (*non-science types doing marketing for science folks - they cheated on that storage space thing, surprise surprise), it is fairly straightforwards to use a simple calculator (drill down to basic bits and then build back up again in proper format) if you aren't sure or if you don't have a custom converting calc.

referring to the orginal post: Hybrid & Handbrake & MediaInfo are all referring to the same "kilobits per second", even if the abbreviations are different. (base1000)

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 1st Apr 2021 at 13:11.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Okay thanks.
    Quote Quote