VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I use Adblock Plus to reduce annoying ads when looking at websites. ( I don't use it on Videohelp). However, on some websites, the website display is blocked, and there is a message that I must turn off the ad blocker to be able to look at the website. Is there anyway around this problem?
    Last edited by jimdagys; 11th Nov 2020 at 06:14.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Can't say this has been much of an issue for me recently. Use multiple browsers.
    ublock origin for firefox is an alternative to adblock plus.
    Brave browser (chromium based) also has a built-in adblocker.
    I don't adblock on Chrome.
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    SOMETIMES disabling Javascript is the workaround.
    The "interesting" part is, those [CENSORED] sites /pages say the same thing even when there is NO AdBlock Plus installed...
    apparently /probably they make no distinction between AdBlock Plus itself and similar extensions (e.g., an ad blocker for YouTube specifically)
    --- not to mention the pop-up blockers "embedded" in browsers such as Waterfox and Opera.
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  4. I've had that problem too, in the end I had to turn of the ad blocker.. but maybe there's a better solution..
    Quote Quote  
  5. I use noscript but that also has issues. Some sites have 20 or more javascripts running and you have to try to figure out which one you have to turn back on to even view the website or to use some of the sites features. Usually it is the main site script but not always.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If i really like the site i turn it off only for that address.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The Opera browser has it's own built-in ad blocker. You can choose to block or allow both ads and trackers. Quite often allowing ads but blocking trackers makes the sites a lot more usable.
    "Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
    Quote Quote