VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been trying to play a Real Media video file. It seems to play fine in Real player, but I don't like using that piece of junk. Usually I would turn to VLC but it doesn't play nor does it work in MPC. I have the K-Lite codec pack installed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MPC will if you have real alternative installed - most of the time. Personally I have never found anything in the Real format to warrant installing their abominable player.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I installed that.

I'm getting this error when I try playing the file:

AM_MEDIA_TYPE:
    majortype: MEDIATYPE_Stream {E436EB83-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770}
    subtype: Unknown GUID Name {57428EC6-C2B2-44A2-AA9C-28F0B6A5C48E}
    formattype: TIME_FORMAT_NONE {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
    bFixedSizeSamples: 1
    bTemporalCompression: 0
    lSampleSize: 1
    cbFormat: 0
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    At the risk of starting up the codec packs are crap debate yet again, my personal feeling is that if you install a codec pack like k-lite without an enormous amount of knowledge and care you should consider your video playback system compromised and expect things like this to happen. (And if you have an enormous amount of knowledge, you should know enough not to have to install a codec pack anyway).

Of course it could also be that the file is corrupt.

Those that support k-lite keep saying that it has great management tools, so perhaps you need to systematically work through the codecs it has installed, turning them all off, then bring them back one at a time looking for the point where things either break, or start working.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. What if I uninstalled K-lite then? Any alternative solutions?

I considered that the file could possibly be corrupt, especially due to the fact that I have been able to play other RealMedia files previously. However, it was able to work in Real Player, which I wouldn't think possible if it was corrupted.
    Quote Quote  
  6. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    If the only goal is the DirectShow-based playback of RealMedia, one just needs to copy the files listed below to the %WinDir% folder (usually = "C:\Windows") and then register the filter:

"RealMediaSplitter.ax"

— there really is no need to do a full install of RealAlternative.

14_43260.dll
    28_83260.dll
    atrc.dll
    cook.dll
    cook3260.dll
    ddnt3260.dll
    dnet3260.dll
    drv1.dll
    drv2.dll
    drvc.dll
    hxltcolor.dll
    pncrt.dll
    pndx5032.dll
    raac.dll
    ralf.dll
    RealMediaSplitter.ax
    rv10.dll
    rv20.dll
    rv30.dll
    rv40.dll
    sipr.dll
    sipr3260.dll
    "Everybody" should regularly use Uniextract on various "setup.exes" in order to obtain only the files that their computers really need.
    Quote Quote