VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Jon "DVD Jon" Johansen, who popularized the means to crack the CSS system protecting DVDs, has committed to launching a tool to crach the Advanced Access Content System (AACS) used in next-generation DVDs.

In a blog posting earlier this month, Johansen announced that he had registered the Deaacs.com site, which cites a "winter 2006/2007" release date for the software.

"AACS, like CSS, will be a success," Johansen wrote. "Not at preventing piracy. That's not the primary objective of any DRM system. Anyone who has read the CSS license agreement knows that the primary objective is to control the market for players. Don't you just love when your DVD player tells you 'This operation is prohibited' when you try to skip the intro?"

Johansen wrote and released "DeCSS," a tool for stripping the Content Scrambling System protections written into DVDs. In 2003, entertainment lobbyists tried to argue that Johansen, a Norwegian, had contributed to copyright piracy by releasing the tool on the Internet. Johansen argued that stripping the copy protection was necessary to view movies using a Linux-based movie player.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1911971,00.asp?kc=ETRSS02129TX1K0000532
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good news. I can only see the Hollywood honchos losing their lunches over this one. It's just a matter of time boys, just a matter of time.

Jon, you rock!
    Quote Quote  
  3. I've read the article but I didn't see where he has actually came right out stated this intent:
    DVD Jon' Declares Intent To Crack Next-Gen DVDs
    But only if I can use new the discs in the manner that I see fit would I consider buying one of the new players and the movies that they play.
    Maybe Jon (or someone else) can make this possible.
    Otherwise, the industry won't be seeing my $.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds interesting, but I'll wait to see if this holds true.
    Whatever doesn't kill me, merely ticks me off. (Never again a Sony consumer.)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Everyone knows it's only a matter of time before any software based encryption is removed. There are also several reasons why DeCCS is important to the public. It's most vilified reason is to allow people to illegally copy media, but that's only one small reason in the grans scope as to why DVD Jon and people like him are important to consumers. They provide an alternative method of watching, playing, and YES recording your media to other formats.

This is good news. I just hope after this Jon keeps his whereabouts confidential and doesn't speak out as he his done too much. The squeaky wheel gets the oil is the saying. I wouldn't him to get in trouble before the benefits of his work are realized.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    out with bush, jon for president

NO POLITICS PLEASE

/Moderator Offline
    member since 1843
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    2005-10-20 12:48:00.0

SAN FRANCISCO -- Jon Lech Johansen, the 21-year-old Norwegian media hacker nicknamed DVD Jon, is moving to San Diego to work for maverick tech entrepreneur Michael Robertson in what can only be described as the most portentous team-up since Butch met Sundance.

"I have no idea what I'll be doing, but I know it will be reverse engineering, and I'm sure it will be interesting," Johansen told Wired News during a Friday stopover in San Francisco.

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,69257-0.html?tw=wn_tophead_11
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can see Jon on Bush's war on terror hit list if hollywood has it's way..

out with bush, jon for president

NO POLITICS THANKYOU

/Moderator Offline
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by somebodeez
    I've read the article but I didn't see where he has actually came right out stated this intent:
    DVD Jon' Declares Intent To Crack Next-Gen DVDs
    That would be this statement:

has committed to launching a tool to crach the Advanced Access Content System (AACS) used in next-generation DVDs.
    which despite the misspelling of 'crack' means pretty much the same thing unless you know of a way that he could "launch a tool to crack AACS" without first cracking it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So who modified my post???? The tagline "out with Bush" etc was not in my orginal post?? Moderator??

This is terrible!
    Are you aware there is a phb patch that allows Mods to see all
    prior edits in a post if they exist
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Im looking forward to this one. Companies can spend millions of dollars on copy protections and DRM, but its only a matter of time before there's a way round it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Whatever Man Invents, Man can Circumvent.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is more likely a tactic to either get more valid software on all platforms. Or to drive home the point that people will find a way to create tools they need to accomplish the task at hand. That task being the ability to view media on varying devices, as well as create extra copies for their own personal needs (like backups of OOP, expensive and otherwise rare DVDs).
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Jon, I want to give birth to your babies! You rock dude
    Quote Quote  
  15. yea, i kinda had a feeling this would be coming....when it does in fact happen, i may consider buying a HD Divx player, rip the movies to my harddrive, and convert them to HD Divx, just on the general grounds that i dont want them to be downsized to pointlessly low resolutions if i decide to wire up a player through component instead of HDMI.......my two cents. That and computer based drives will probably be cheaper, and HD Divx players are ALREADY cheaper.
    Quote Quote  
  16. People here should try to get him "Jon "DVD Jon" Johansen" on this site for a live chat or something like it to hear him and ask him questions on how and why he needs to do this. Im all for him beating the protection. Without him we would still be making VCDs.
    Life is like a pothole, you just have to learn to get around it.
    Quote Quote