VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have only had the box for about 3 days, however so far I am more than impressed!!

It will not play .iso files, but I didnt expect it to either.

I am ripping DVDs with no compression to a folder via DvdShrink, then using DGIndex (new generation of dvd2avi) to generate a .d2v and extract .wav (or AC3), then I use VFAPI to generate a "dummy" AVI for VirtualDub 1.7.6 to read. With VD, I open the fake AVI and import the WAV, I encode the audio with Lame MP3 to 128kbps at 48 sampling, and the video is resized with the built in resizer with Lancose3 to 1280X720. Then I use the latest XviD at 3500kbps (3.5mbsp) for video compression. Once in a while you will use Null Transform to crop ever so slight of the black bars from top & bottom (See 'Santa Clause 3') depending on it's exact aspect ratio (even though MediaInfo returns 16/9, its not always 1.778!)

The result: Play back on my RCA 32" LCD via HDMI cable, is amazingly better than the DVD player!!

I do not have a BD player, nor do I have a BD drive in my computer, but I guess thats the next thing to investigate.

Q) Why XviD?
    A) It plays perfect. I could use WMV9 or H264, but really, theres not significant gain in quality.

Q) Why 720 and not 1080?
    A) The source file is 720X480, streatching it out to 720 works... but 1080, the source just isnt enough to provide quality.

Q) Why MP3?
    A) Well, I could do AC3 with VirtualDubMod, and try to keep 5.1, but I have not tried all that yet.

Q) Can you use the DVD's original AC3?
    A) Sure, use use VirtualDubMod and import that as a stream. Make sure you take a look at the -ms delay given in the DGIndex filename of sync offset though. Use all the same video settings as with regular VD.

Q) Are you glad you bought it?
    A) Damn skippy. Want to buy another for work (long story, not for me)

Q) Would you recommend it to someone else?
    A) Damn skippy. If you havent bought one by now, your loosing out!

Q) Where did you get it, for how much?
    A) Best Buy for $129

Q) Will more information be posted by you on this box?
    A) Damn skippy. When I get free time though.

Hope this helps-
    Cheers,
    Andrew
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I too bought one of these for Christmas with Best Buy gift cards for $99.00+tax. There was a coupon for $20.00 off of a WD My Passport hard drive which was already on sale forv $79.00 and I had enough of the gift card left to pay for nearly all of that too.

The reason I purchased this was to play the mp4 files of my Flip Mino HD on our HDTV. There is only a standard Def output on the Mino and that is really crummy on HDTV. That was too bad becaose it records mp4 files at 720P.

Problem Solved: The WD TV HD plays the files perfectly in HD. I found out you can even plug the Flip into the device directly in one of the two USB ports. I use the side one and place something under the Flip to help support it's weight.

I am really sold on this product and I love watching all of my DIVX collections on our HDTV instead of on my computer screen.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Damn skippy, don't believe him. Had one for 2 months (Best Buy $99) and it"s playing an iso file right now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll vouch for that. Plays Isos with no problem. Well, the only "problem" is that it doesn't give you the menus (for me, forgivable).

Also, you can simply use your favorite movie extractor (TDA for me) to get an mpg with the original ac3 or DTS. Or you could even use DVDShrink to re-author Movie Only to an iso.

This thing plays pretty much everything I've thrown at it (except crappy encodes, because... well, they're crappy).

Just make sure to get the latest firmware, as it fixes some minor glitches and adds some cool features.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mine didnt want to play an ISO I put on it, Ill have to go back and look at my FW Ver number and get back-

Thanks,
    Andrew
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by misterbill
    Damn skippy, don't believe him. Had one for 2 months (Best Buy $99) and it"s playing an iso file right now.
    Does it pause between VOBs on the ISO or does it play all the way though without any interuptions. I heard somewhere that it paused between VOBs so I used DVDDecryptor to rip as one VOB but all the programs I've tried to create an ISO from the folder say that the file is too big and either refuses to create the VOB or makes a short corrupt one. If it will play the VOBs correctly from an ISO then I'll go ahead and use DVDFabDecryptor to rip and create an ISO.

Right now, I'm ripping as one VOB and changing the file extension to mpeg and playing that way but I'd rather rip them correctly and save as an ISO in case that I want to burn them later or eventually get a media player that will play them like a regular DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mine does not skip. When playin VOBs try pressing the PLAY button on the first VOB instead of ENTER.

Using no compression allows subtitles to play.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by DarrellS
    all the programs I've tried to create an ISO from the folder say that the file is too big
    FAT32 has a 4GB file size limit.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Originally Posted by DarrellS
    all the programs I've tried to create an ISO from the folder say that the file is too big
    FAT32 has a 4GB file size limit.
    I'm using NTFS. Maybe the programs have a Fat limitation or the Video_TS structure has a 4GB limit?

I'll try using the Play button with the VOBs since I was using the Enter button before. Another user said he can play VOBs (didn't say whether he could play a 7GB VOB though).

I just ripped a music DVD (into 2GB VOBs) and created an ISO image. I'll check and see if they both play.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm playing a VOB that WD TV shows as 8076282KB, no problems.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using the play button instead of the Enter button, I can play the VOBs but I can't play the 7GB VOB and if I try, I have to reset the unit to factory specs and start over. Also, sometimes when I stop a movie and try to restart it, it will cause the same problems. I unplugged it from my intertainment center and connected to the TV in the other room and will resume play on that TV but still will not play the large VOB. It also had no problem playing the ISO from the music video.

How did you get the 8GB VOB? I used DVDDecrypter to get mine. Maybe there is something wrong with the file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For my test VOB I used Around the World in 80 Days (the first 2 disk movie I found in my collection). Ripped both disks, movie only, DVD9 in DVDFAB Platinum 5.2.2.2.

Used VOBmerge 2.5 on both VIDEO_TS folders and then used it on both the resultant VOB files to come up with 8GB.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Hi All,

would like to ask owners of WDTV, recently i purchased the WDTV, and would like seek your advise
    to enable thumbnail in the folder when selecting my video files.

I read the FAQ/KB in westd website that only WMA format are support if alter the EXIF/meta data.

Is there anyway to display thumbnails for other formats such as avi/mkv/mpg ?

appreciate your advise.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There's an existing gigantic thread on this player here:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic358929.html
    I will certainly say that this particular forum is a more appropriate place to discuss this player than the DVD Players section where that link goes to, but there's a lot of info in that thread that others might find helpful.

"Damn skippy"??? OK... I guess somebody is into saying things that only make sense to them.

This player DOES indeed play ISO files, so I have no idea why RogerTango says it doesn't. However, I only tested ISOs that contain DVD format video. If you have an ISO that contains, say, a Divx file, I don't know if that will work. This player is a very poor choice for DVD playback though. Its limited remote may prove inadequate for some DVDs, particularly when you need to change audio tracks or subtitles from the defaults. I like the player and it's good for playing Divx or MKV files, which is what I use it for. If you think you're going to use it to playback a bunch of ripped DVDs, it's not your best choice.

This player doesn't play DTS audio very well and I would recommend avoiding DTS as a general rule. However, if your video bit rate is low enough, it may play DTS OK. This is a common issue with all media players and it's not particular to this model.

Note that while the chip inside it is capable of supporting WMV playback, at this time it does not. Perhaps a firmware update will fix this in the future.

The thumbnail feature is primitive to say the least and I have a feeling that it's not going to be what meeya is looking for. There is NO DISPLAY AT ALL of any part of the video from your AVI, etc. file in the thumbnail. It's just a generic image of a disc in a box.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    Note that while the chip inside it is capable of supporting WMV playback, at this time it does not. Perhaps a firmware update will fix this in the future.
    I wish I knew that before I watched several WMV files on mine! :P

There are only a FEW files that did not play, and those were ones I downloaded. When generating my own WMV9 or XviD/MP3 videos, they all play, even at 720 and 1080!

The quality via HDMI is awesome!

Best purchase in the last year.

Andrew
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    My bad. Somebody claimed that the device didn't support WMV and to be honest with you I haven't tried it. Thanks for the update RogerTango.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Really nice review.

I love it. I definitely suggest updating the firmware as I have already notice improvement in several areas including navigating and skipping through "chapters".

I really love this device so far and will be purchasing a my passport drive that this can be a more mobile device for taking to friends houses ect.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    My bad. Somebody claimed that the device didn't support WMV and to be honest with you I haven't tried it. Thanks for the update RogerTango.
    It only supports Windows Media 9 but does not support Window Media 9 Professional audio. Not sure what the advantage is of encoding Window Media 9 Professional audio if nothing will support it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Got this player for $100 (on sale) for my parents this past Christmas and have to say it was well worth the price. I'd say the only thing it lacks is network capability. Plays nearly everything I've thrown at it including 1080p content. Even plays m2ts files saved from my blu-ray movies. I like the fact that it supports subtitles embedded in MKVs (like anime)...beats having to transcode those kinds of files so they'll work on my PS3. Might pick one up for myself as well. To the OP, why go through all the trouble of resizing your DVDs to 720? Won't the player just resize them for you during playback?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found it works great but there is a small 3 sec pause when it changes chapters.
    any way to fix this
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    I dont understand why you are ripping a DVD at 720 x 480 and resizing it to HD resolution? There is no gain in that.
    Jagabo, please do not reply to this post. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    will it play movie only blurays made is tsmuxer?
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by ron spencer
    will it play movie only blurays made is tsmuxer?
    I belive so. Try this thread: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic358929.html
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have copyed files from blu-ray directly and had them work as well as using anyDVD from slysoft
    the only one not to work was Tudors Season 1,2 (audio unsupported)
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!