VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    So I'm using a capture device that my parents picked up to convert their old VHS tapes to digital format.

Part of this is that I want to edit out all the "b-roll footage" that isn't really intreresting anymore.

The device my parents got is a all in one device, connected to the VCR.. it seems to record in a odd format and I haven't gotten it to convert nicely to MP4 or similar the converted MP4 output from handbrake has a grey frame (dropping a frame?) every few seconds which smudges out the video.

I'm looking for any help with what kind of settings I should run.. or ideas on what to convert it to that Premiere will accept (AVI is frustrating)

The capture device is this: https://www.kjell.com/se/sortiment/dator-natverk/datortillbehor/vhs-videokamera/plexge...neskort-p97100

VLC codec info gives the following: Click image for larger version

Name:	4f8c49084e.png
Views:	233
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	48216

Odd note: the frame rate seems to be 24.986881 but if i convert it with Handbrake the MP4 output when using "same as source" is 25.314 or something.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Post a MediaInfo file report (use Tree format and copy and paste results in your post) If MKV format is acceptable you could simply drag the file into MKVToolNix and it would wrap your H264 file in a MKV container in a few minutes with no loss or changes.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    That device is doing so much damage to the video that is impossible to fix without doing more damage. That's one of the reasons why you don't allow your parents to get involved in such business.
    Audio mono? I though I see red and white RCA jacks? Chinese crap.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Yep its a Piece of shit. Actually I think remuxing it from the crazy avi container might be good enough

Source is mono from a old home camera so that doesn’t matter to me and might be why it’s mono

Thanks for the tip. The mob container worked well
    Quote Quote