VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I’m trying to get a university to host a video with the JW player without offering the download option*. The university in question is using the free self-hosting version (7.12.1) of the player. I’ve been asking JW Player support people about this but a definite answer has proved elusive. From the University I get an “that’s the way we’ve always done it (always offer downloading)“ and don’t seem willing to look into it.

*As you might surmise the reason behind this need is I can get permission from the copyright holder to stream but not to download i.e. circulate copies of the video.

The download button appears above the player video (attached), and for bonus points I’d also like to disable sharing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Paul
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  2. Can't you not modify the html code and remove the the download option?

Lots of ironies here. This is where people come to for download advise and you wish info on how not to download. Also, university is the place for free thought and expression and you wish to to put a clamp on that.

I can get permission from the copyright holder to stream but not to download

Place the video link to the copyright holder's site and let him worry about inappropriate downloads. You do not have to save the copyright material on your server.

Also you may wish to consider using a Hydrax Server.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi Jack,

You would think so but I don't know html well enough to say remove x line of code and that fixes it.

I don't want to put a clamp on anything, just want to secure a permission. For example the NY Public Library only allows public domain material to download, anything else is stream-only which seems reasonable. A copyright expert said “Separating these delivery mechanisms is an important way to strengthen our fair use argument.” I'll buy that.

Paul
    Quote Quote  
  4. 1s and zeros are free - no one owns them.
    Quote Quote  
  5. you wrote
    ... only allows public domain material to download, anything else is stream-only ....
    Ok my understanding is that your only option is the stream and if you decide to stream you have to use JW player. But with your present configuration/options/software you cannot stream without offering the download option. To top this off, you are incapable to modifying any software code. Is this correct?

If this is correct, then can you say what options are available to you? What would it take to mitigate this challenge?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I’m trying to research an easy solution for an institution’s tech people/person to host a new video on its own page that would stream-only. The simpler and more authoritative the solution the more likely they’d bend their habit of hosting video one way. Since they host a fair amount of video I’m pretty sure that it’s a matter of time before they decide to host video in these different ways. download & not, embed & note
    Quote Quote  
  7. paul wrote

I’m trying to research an easy solution for an institution’s tech people/person to host a new video on its own page

I don't know html well enough to say remove x line of code

You are doing the research for the tech people. Ok, you do not need to know software coding but I'm sure the tech people or definitely the tech support personnel know how to do this. The easiest solution is to modify the code. Not rocket science. No easier solution. The modification will be just for this copywrite material and not an overall fix. Two sets of code the existing one and a new one for this and any future copywrite material.

What do you think?

authoritative the solution ..... Tell them the the solution came from an expert at VideoHelp
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have to had them a solution of a silver platter, there is no institutional will to change their video hosting MO for me. They claim budget & covid stresses and will not lift a finger to explore this. Unless it's an easy magic bullet. I got a partial answer from JW Player about a change in the dashboard and the line or thread went dead.
    Quote Quote  
  9. @paul, I do not envy your situation "no institutional will to change their video hosting MO for me"

Looks like you are spitting into the wind.

Sorry I can't help you further.
    Quote Quote  
  10. If you can stream it - you can download it. There's no way around that. All you can do is make it difficult to the point that it's not worth the effort (hello, pcock) to defeat.
    Quote Quote  
  11. "If you can stream it - you can download it"

Yes true. This content is not a hot ticket item people are dying for, the goal is to remove a download invitation. The copyright holder is ok with the video offered in a academic archival context, period. Not circulating.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I guess I would suggest having someone modify the jw player js file to eliminate that button so it doesn't appear.

It doesn't solve the real underlying issue, but it would "appear" to be more secure as there would be no download button.

It probably wouldn't be easy - surely the js code was obfuscated in addition to being minified. A decent web dev should be able to do it.

I would do it for you if I had the time available, but alas, too many pots on the stove as it is.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thanks. Though I've never worked with JW Player, I'm hoping the solution is simpler than a code change like a button or check box in a dashboard. The best answer so far is this...

So you can switch on Token Signing from any one of our licenses, including the free and starter versions; using this you can not only prevent people from downloading your content, but you can curate who can watch it period. it's as simple as switching the feature on via your dashboard, and I have included the FAQ explaining it down below:

https://support.jwplayer.com/articles/how-to-enable-url-token-signing*

I’m not able to communicate with the institution’s webmaster. so whatever solution I pass along have to go through a non-technical gatekeeper person. They would only pass along the tech tip if it looked super easy. So in my case a screen grab or ideally a short simple video tutorial might do the trick. I’ll admit it’s a sad situation but I’m dealing with a lot of institutional inertia and resistance due in part to pandemic stresses.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hi again Paul

You may wish to remove the * at the end of the posted link url as it is not part of the url

s/b https://support.jwplayer.com/articles/how-to-enable-url-token-signing
    not https://support.jwplayer.com/articles/how-to-enable-url-token-signing*

I’ll admit it’s a sad situation .... so very true

I have read the article and this line stuck out
    Since creating signed URLs is a technical process, we strongly advise working with a developer to protect your content with signed URLs.
    you wrote ...
    whatever solution I pass along have to go through a non-technical gatekeeper person. They would only pass along the tech tip if it looked super easy. So in my case a screen grab or ideally a short simple video tutorial might do the trick
    ... a screen grab or ideally a short simple video tutorial .... You may wish to suggest this of the jwplayer support team.

Suggest you accept the recommendation of the jwplayer support team and pass along, to the non-technical gatekeeper person, the link that you posted here.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Thanks Jack. Strange, not sure how the asterisk got added
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by pauld2022 View Post
    I can get permission from the copyright holder to stream but not to download
    Only option is DRM, which isn't free.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by 4kblurayguru View Post
    Only option is DRM, which isn't free.
    Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Widevine is free to use by content providers and as such does not charge any fees for license generation or device integration.
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 2 characters.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Thanks [ss]vegeta
    Quote Quote