VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A long while ago I imported some of my dad's MiniDVs to my computer using a software I can't recall. It imported in the mpg format at a file size of about 1.3GB/hour of video. I now have more DVs I want to import and started using Scenalyzer and the .avi format. I'm getting a file size of about 13GB/hour of video. I don't see any other import formats in the Scenalyzer options that I recognize. Are there any options in Scenalyzer to lower the file size without loosing much quality? Or is 13GB/hour normal?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DV is 13 gb per hour. Both Sc-Live (Scenalyzer) and WinDv only support bit for bit transfer of what is on the tape.

Anything else is a transcode which reduces quality (and 1.3 gb per hour for even mpg is terrible)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again, DB83!
    I'll see if I notice a quality difference between the two.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Back in the day, I would capture VHS through a ADVC (which 'converts' to DV) but transcode to mpeg2 at 8,000 kbps. That would give you 1 hour at appr. 4 gb. A trade off between file-size and real quality.

You might not notice the (visual) difference. But the actual quality difference is there.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    You might not notice the (visual) difference. But the actual quality difference is there.
    I kinda understand what you're saying. If there is no visual difference, how does it matter (in a practical sense)?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by shobuddy View Post
    I kinda understand what you're saying. If there is no visual difference, how does it matter (in a practical sense)?
    If you convert it to DVD or play it on a big screen, you'll see a difference.
    The Firewire method does a straight 1:1 transfer of the data on the tape
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Originally Posted by shobuddy View Post
    If you convert it to DVD or play it on a big screen, you'll see a difference.
    The Firewire method does a straight 1:1 transfer of the data on the tape
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Also, if you intend to do any processing, or any editing that requires re-rendering, the difference will become more evident then.

Scott
    Quote Quote