VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hope this is the right place. I'm trying to capture old home videos using the Elgato Video Capture device. It works great for stuff I have already transferred to VHS, but trying to capture from the camcorder the picture is only in black and white. I have no idea what, if anything, I can do to fix it. Be grateful for any help. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Always check NTSC vs. PAL settings first.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Always check NTSC vs. PAL settings first.
    Thanks, but they're both NTSC devices bought in North America. Pretty sure neither even has a PAL setting.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As stated, black and white display is typical of NTSC tape played on PAL equipment.

But if you are certain that PAL does not come in to the equation then I suggest you provide the following

1. The make/model of your camcorder
    2. Confirm that the tapes were recorded with this camera
    3. Advise of the connection and cable used from the camcorder to the Elgato and any settings on the camera for video out.
    4. Advise of the software you are using for capture and all settings of the software.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    As stated, black and white display is typical of NTSC tape played on PAL equipment.

But if you are certain that PAL does not come in to the equation then I suggest you provide the following

3. Advise of the connection and cable used from the camcorder to the Elgato and any settings on the camera for video out.
    4. Advise of the software you are using for capture and all settings of the software.
    1. It's an RCA Pro8 camera from the early 1990s

2. Definitely recorded with it, it's the only camera I've ever had that these tapes fit.

3. Using RCA cables (think that's what they're called) - the ones with the red, white and yellow connectors. The camera only has 2 ports though, white & yellow.

4. I'm using the Elgato video capture software with the default settings.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I found a manual for a RCA Pro8 model 807 which does not have any peculiarities for playback or transfer to vcr (capturing would be the same process)

So do check that your 'default settings' do show composite signal and NTSC

Of course also check that your video (yellow) cable is correctly attached to the camera. It is, of course, possible that the connector at the camera end is at fault.

You might also wish to try other capture software such as AmarecTv. No settings required for this. If picture is still in B&W then you know something is clearly amiss.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Indeed, If everything is connected and set up as it should the chroma circuitery in your camcorder is gone bad and it's time for another camcorder.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CuriousJane View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

1. It's an RCA Pro8 camera from the early 1990s

2. Definitely recorded with it, it's the only camera I've ever had that these tapes fit.

3. Using RCA cables (think that's what they're called) - the ones with the red, white and yellow connectors. The camera only has 2 ports though, white & yellow.

4. I'm using the Elgato video capture software with the default settings.
    go into the Elgato video capture software settings and switch to composite setting and see if you now have color.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I found a manual for a RCA Pro8 model 807 which does not have any peculiarities for playback or transfer to vcr (capturing would be the same process)

So do check that your 'default settings' do show composite signal and NTSC

Of course also check that your video (yellow) cable is correctly attached to the camera. It is, of course, possible that the connector at the camera end is at fault.

You might also wish to try other capture software such as AmarecTv. No settings required for this. If picture is still in B&W then you know something is clearly amiss.
    I didn't realise the connector could fail. I suppose that is a definite possibility.

I'll look at the other capture program. Thanks.

Originally Posted by october262 View Post

go into the Elgato video capture software settings and switch to composite setting and see if you now have color.
    Composite was already selected. Thank you.
    Quote Quote