VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. TIA:
    I have a Canon HV20, and a Sony DCR TRV350. Both have 4 pin firewire.
    My 10 Year old Dell Precision M6600 has 6 pin firewire on board.
    I successfully captured video in the past, before upgrading from W7 to W10.
    I recently tried HDVSplit with the HV20 and captured successfully. I think I was using the W10 1394 host controller, (NOT legacy).
    Then I tried to capture from the DCR TRV350, first using HDV split, then realizing that this is NOT an HD camera. So I tried WinDV, no luck.
    Then I tried the HV20 with HDVSplit again, and it no longer sees the camera.
    I think I then installed the legacy 1394 driver, no luck.
    I swapped the driver back, no luck.
    I tried several reboots, and many combinations of when to turn on the camera and launch the software.
    Device manager can see the HV20, but not the DCR TRV350.
    I just want to get the video off the tape into the computer!
    Any suggestions appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hv20s can export either minidv or HDV. make sure to match the output of the hv20 to the program you are using to transfer with. windv if the output is set to minidv, and HDVsplit if it's exporting HDV.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a similar setup with a 6-pin firewire port on my motherboard with Win 10 20H2.

In Device Manager, I'd "uninstall" the "VIA 1394 OHCI Compliant Host controller" (that's what mine's called) and do a reboot so it is re-installed.

Re your Sony, I have not been able to get WinDV to work on Win10 for some time, It used-to but now doesn't. Scenealyzer though still works for DV transfer (not HDV). If you're not familiar with it, I've written a quick-start guide here.

HDVSplit still works OK here for HDV transfer from my HV20.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank You!
    I uninstalled 1394 driver and now Scenalyzer works with both cameras for DV, but I still can't get HDVSplit to work with the HV20 in HD mode.
    (Even though it worked briefly, before I started this thread.)
    I tried uninstalling again, with delete, so it installed the "non-legacy" driver, but still nothing.
    I then uninstalled ffdshow, wondering if that broke HDVSplit. Rebooted, still nothing.

!!??
    Last edited by chipgooding; 26th Jun 2021 at 09:40.
    Quote Quote  
  5. EUREKA!
    The HV20 has a switch in the menu for "AV>DV" On or OFF. I have been trying with it "On".
    It works with it "Off". I guess that switch is for A to D conversion, and NOT to switch between the A and D outputs....
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You won't do that again will you!

Glad you're up and running fully.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The sad thing is I think I went through the same "lesson" last time, several years ago.
    Dang smart phones made all my cameras kind of lonely....
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote