VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi, I am transferring a bunch of tapes for a client and one of them is giving me trouble.

The tapes are all miniDV, but the formats so far have been DV SP, DVCAM and HDV1080i. (all PAL)

One of the tapes doesn't play in any of the devices I've tried so far. It is detected as a HDV tape, but I can't get any video or audio.

On a Sony HVR-1500 VTR, an error is displayed on the front panel ("ILL. FORMAT", explained in the manual as "This tape format is not supported").
    On a Sony HVR-M10E VTR, there is no error and the timecode moves, but the display is black and there is no audio.
    On a Sony HDR-FX1E camcorder, there is also no error and the timecode also moves, but the display just stays blue.

Setting the VTRs to NTSC didn't work.

Is it possible it is a HDV720p tape? (I don't think I have any devices that support that, so I can't check at the moment)

Oh, and the tape may have been recorded in Tibet, if that's at all relevant.

Has anyone seen this before and can point me in a direction that helps?

-Atli
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Post some pictures, It could be Panasonic DVC-PRO, a HDV 30p NTSC, HDV 25p PAL or 720 24p. The Sony HVR-M15AU plays all DV/DVCAM/HDV tapes mini and full size in PAL and NTSC, it doesn't playback DVC-PRO though.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Here is a picture of the tape. It looks like just a regular DV tape. I have a DVCPro deck that I could try, but I won't be able to go get it until Tuesday. (It's a Panasonic AJ-D950)
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20210523_214650.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	59100  

Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    That's the only thing you can do right now is to try a DVC-PRO deck, Even though it says MiniDV but the owner could have used it on a DVC-PRO recorder or camera.

Keep in mind DVCPRO uses wider track pitch 18 μm vs. 15μm for DVCAM and 10 μm for DV, So based on how fast the timecode in a normal DV speed playback you can have an idea which format it is.
    Last edited by dellsam34; 23rd May 2021 at 18:54.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The HDV standard is actually 2 child standards: one for 1080i and one for 720p. It is quite possible to have equipment which supports one type but not the other type, or vice-versa.
    Best to find a device which explicitly states to support both.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    As I posted above there are 1080p (23.98p, 29.97p and 25p) as well as 720 24p, though those were pro recordings, I believe only two consumer models that were capable of 1080p recording, The Canon HVR-20 and HVR-30, HVR-40 did only 24p. The progressive mode was available thru firewire only.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ntsc canon hv30 and hv40 can record/play back 60i, 1080p30(recorded at 60i) along with 1080p24(recorded at 60i). the hv40 added native 24p(recorded at 24p). pal models could only do 50i, 1080p25(recorded at 50i).

if you think it might be 720p25/30/50/60 HDV you're best bet is a later JVC HDV cam to play it.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote