VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Discard half the scan lines; ie. make it "interlaced" , and deinterlace it with a simple algorithm such as "bob" .
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Discard half the scan lines; ie. make it "interlaced" , and deinterlace it with a simple algorithm such as "bob" .
    See my footage was 60i and I converted it to 60p using handbrake and bob but this still did not give me noticeable Aliasing to my footage, especially if my camera was not fully in focus, my main question is if there is some kind of filter I can add or any way I can control how much aliasing is in my footage. Also when I upload it to youtube it compresses my footage and makes the aliasing even less noticable
    Quote Quote  
  3. Downscale and repeat. Downscale to SD, interlace/deinterlace/ and apply oversharpenen to generate halos

When you upscale with a simple/poor algorithm, it will have severe jaggies
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by sOgUn View Post
    See my footage was 60i and I converted it to 60p using handbrake and bob but this still did not give me noticeable Aliasing to my footage
    Of course it didn't. Handbrake (and most other software) tries to avoid creating aliasing artifacts. Because nobody in the world but you want's them.

Originally Posted by sOgUn View Post
    my main question is if there is some kind of filter I can add or any way I can control how much aliasing is in my footage.
    Easy in AviSynth.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    See my footage was 60i and I converted it to 60p using handbrake and bob but this still did not give me noticeable Aliasing to my footage
    Of course it didn't. Handbrake (and most other software) tries to avoid creating aliasing artifacts. Because nobody in the world but you want's them.

my main question is if there is some kind of filter I can add or any way I can control how much aliasing is in my footage.
    Easy in AviSynth.
    Ok nice, what would I do in AviSynth to achieve this effect, I've never used it before.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Something like this in AviSynth:

Code:
    # load source, then
    SeparateFields()
    SelectEven()
    Spline36Resize(720, 576)
    Sharpen(0.0, 1.0)
    before:after
    [Attachment 58527 - Click to enlarge]

If your source is very blurry you may need something more extreme. Using an unsharpmask filter:

blurry source : after unsharpmask
    [Attachment 58528 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by jagabo; 21st Apr 2021 at 10:45.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Something like this in AviSynth:

Code:
    # load source, then
    SeparateFields()
    SelectEven()
    Spline36Resize(720, 576)
    Sharpen(0.0, 1.0)
    before:after
    [Attachment 58527 - Click to enlarge]

If your source is very blurry you may need something more extreme. Using an unsharpmask filter:

blurry source : after unsharpmask
    [Attachment 58528 - Click to enlarge]
    This is exactly what I was looking for, when I get back home I will make sure to try this.
    Quote Quote