VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone!
    I'm a neuroscientist trying to set up a small platform to make video recordings of people grasping different objects on a table. To realize this, I want to connect four webcams onto one notebook that records all four streams eg. with MATLAB.

Problem: I assume not every notebook with four USB slots is able to handle four video streams at 640x480. Bottlenecks I could imagine are:

1) USB bandwidth
    How many real USB controllers should the notebook have? Two should be enough, right?

2) CPU
    Can notebook CPUs handle synchronous encoding of four streams nowadays or do I have to aim for a specific CPU (what about hardware-encoding)? I could also just abandon the idea of compressing the video while recording and do it later. Would that solve the problem?

3) HDD bandwidth
    As I need lots of memory I cannot afford to use an SSD. Do I have to worry that the HDD is too slow?

I am very flexible on which hardware, operating system, encoding etc. to use. Are the above mentioned things actually an issue or is the task a piece of cake for an average 1000$ notebook?

Thx already for your help!!

Forodin
    Last edited by forodin; 12th Aug 2012 at 03:35.
    Quote Quote