VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. No luck on the DVD player, only has component out . I actually went out and bought this adapter:
    http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-TV-LCDHR-Picture-Monitor-Projectors/dp/B0011NM17K

It works but gives me SD only.. now I'll have to see if there is a tuner box for under $50 that will give me HD...

Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    If the DVD player has HDMI out it probably upscales and it will have HDCP triggered when playing most commercial DVD discs. Home made discs may or may not work. Some DVD players always have HDCP active on the HDMI port.

There should be DVD player settings for 480p, 720p and maybe 1080p over HDMI.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gothamcity View Post
    No luck on the DVD player, only has component out . I actually went out and bought this adapter:

It works but gives me SD only.. now I'll have to see if there is a tuner box for under $50 that will give me HD...

If the DVD player has HDMI out it probably upscales and it will have HDCP triggered when playing most commercial DVD discs. Home made discs may or may not work. Some DVD players always have HDCP active on the HDMI port.

There isn't anything that will connect HD to your cable box for under $50. Just buy a larger HDTV and be done with it.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Of course the big 42" HDTV is in th budgetary works but I am open to alternatives such
    as unsubscribing from cable and just going with a HD Tuner for my PC, now that is possible correct ?
    Meaning using my PC and getting HD TV ?

Originally Posted by gothamcity View Post
    No luck on the DVD player, only has component out . I actually went out and bought this adapter:

There isn't anything that will connect HD to your cable box for under $50. Just buy a larger HDTV and be done with it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. hi,

I have an Asus monitor with dvi, hdmi, and vga inputs. I try to connect a digital-to-analog converter box to this monitor. Is this possible? What do I need to turn this monitor into hdtv to view HDTV local channels.

I'm looking for the cheapest way to do this.

Thanks,
    Quote Quote  
  5. by the way, I was able to connect a Philips dvd player to this monitor through the HDMI input. It works well.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by techjunkies View Post
    hi,

I have an Asus monitor with dvi, hdmi, and vga inputs. I try to connect a digital-to-analog converter box to this monitor. Is this possible? What do I need to turn this monitor into hdtv to view HDTV local channels.

I'm looking for the cheapest way to do this.

Thanks,
    What kind of DTA converter box? If it is one of the ones that could be purchased using a government-issued coupon, don't bother. It doesn't have the right kind of video outputs to connect directly and a composite to VGA converter will provide a poor picture.

If you have a computer connected to this monitor, your best bet is to get a TV tuner that is compatible with your OS. Buy an internal one for a desktop if there is a free PCIe slot, otherwise USB.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thank you! the digital box is the type with government coupon. I want to turn this monitor into HDTV for the kid; without the computer attched. Therefore, is the component to vga conversion really bad? how bad? If the picture look ok for cartoons or news, sports then it's ok to me. Is there such conversion cable? the next option could be to buy a box. What kind of box can you recomment?

Thanks,
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you! the digital box is the type with government coupon. I want to turn this monitor into HDTV for the kid; without the computer attched. Therefore, is the component to vga conversion really bad? how bad? If the picture look ok for cartoons or news, sports then it's ok to me. Is there such conversion cable? the next option could be to buy a box. What kind of box can you recomment?

Thanks,
    It's not a cable, and you can't use just a cable for this purpose. What I'm writing about is another type of powered converter box. Here is one example typical of the inexpensive products of this sort: http://us.startech.com/product/COMP2VGA-Video-Game-Jockey-Play-Console-Video-Games-on-...mputer-Monitor It isn't very suitable because it won't scale the video properly for a widescreen LCD monitor. (LCD monitors need video provided at their native resolution. Unlike a TV they don't scale video well by themselves.) It would look better on a 4:3 CRT monitor at 1280 x 1024, but still not very good. The picture will be just 4:3 SD from the converter box blown up to a larger size, not HD.

Even when scaled properly SD video from a converter box will not look good at full resolution on a widescreen 1920x1080 monitor. I have an excellent SD video capture device installed in my PC with the right inputs for connecting a coupon elegible converter box. I have proper software to view the picture at 16:9 scaled to my monitor's native resolution, and I have an onboard video that good enough to watch even 1080p video without any problems. I tested my video capture device with the output from one of the best coupon elegible converter boxes made to make sure the capture device was working, and indeed it worked perfectly. However the video did not look good blown up to my monitor's full screen resolution, although watching in a small (about 720x480) window was fine.

My advice: If you want your child to be able to watch HDTV on an LCD monitor and your child is old enough to use a computer without supervision, get a $60 TV tuner card and install free PVR software on a PC. Otherwise, save your money for a small TV.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 14th Mar 2011 at 18:10.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I thought hooking up the DTA box to the monitor would be a cheap way if some sort of cables/converters could help to achieve this since my monitor has HDMI, DVI, and VGA; many options. But if it's absolutely impossible then, just forget about the DTA box, then maybe I can look for some sort of external HDTV tuner which at least can be hooked up through the DVI or better HDMI input. Some KWorld boxes on Amazon got very bad review. So what could be a cheap alternative? I still don't want to connect the computer to this monitor since it's a spare monitor. I just try to get HDTV signal from local stations. Thanks for responding.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The DTA (either the gov't rebate models or the cable company supplied) converts ATSC (HD/SD) to analog SD NTSC Channel 3 or Channel 4.

A computer monitor has no clue what NTSC channel 3 is. For that you need a TV set.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought hooking up the DTA box to the monitor would be a cheap way if some sort of cables/converters could help to achieve this since my monitor has HDMI, DVI, and VGA; many options. But if it's absolutely impossible then, just forget about the DTA box, then maybe I can look for some sort of external HDTV tuner which at least can be hooked up through the DVI or better HDMI input. Some KWorld boxes on Amazon got very bad review. So what could be a cheap alternative? I still don't want to connect the computer to this monitor since it's a spare monitor. I just try to get HDTV signal from local stations. Thanks for responding.
    I'm afraid there are no inexpensive external HDTV tuners available now that are better than the KWorld boxes with DVI-I or HDMI out like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815260027&cm_re=kworld_tv_tuner-...-027-_-Product. There used to be better ones for HD-ready TVs without digital tuners, but they cost in the neighborhood of $200 and they disappeared from the market after 2009.

Even though LCD monitors seem much the same as LCD TVs without tuners, they are also missing additional components that make TVs function correctly with input from other A/V devices.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 15th Mar 2011 at 00:11. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey folks!

Old old thread i know, but i just stumbled upon it on google, and it looks like there's some people who could help me here.. I've read the previous pages, but nothing really seems to help here..

So, what i'm trying to do is, like everyone else, use my computer monitor for TV..
    I'm using a DVB-T Tuner, (http://www.strong.tv/dk/products/receivers/terrestrial/high-definition/srt-8410) which has a HDMI out, and SCART out..
    My monitor is a Samsung 2253BW, which according to it's specs, is HDCP compliant.. So what i did, was buy a HDMI->DVI Adapter, but that doesn't work.. (DVI-D Dual link btw)
    I get the audio (which i have connected to my home stereo) but no picture.. My screen pops up with a message saying "not optimum mode, recommended mode 1680x1050" So i'm guessing that's something do to with resolution?

I also tried the SCART out, to an old tv my parents had, and that works just fine.. So then i tried buying a SCART->VGA adapter, but when i plug that in, i just get a black screen, and sound.. But not black screen as in no signal, because if i remove the SCART from the DVB box, the screen says "check input" but as soon as i plug it in, it disappears and just goes completely black..

So again, i'm guessing it has something to do with my screen not accepting the resolution the DVB-T outputs, but is there anything to do about this? I'd really rather not buy a separate HDTV (haven't got the money for that anyway).
    Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance, and merry Christmas to all!

EDIT: Sorry if my spelling is a bit off, English isn't my primary language
    Last edited by Dr-Ludvig; 23rd Dec 2011 at 13:04. Reason: Spelling
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So what i did, was buy a HDMI->DVI Adapter, but that doesn't work.. (DVI-D Dual link btw)
    I get the audio (which i have connected to my home stereo) but no picture.. My screen pops up with a message saying "not optimum mode, recommended mode 1680x1050" So i'm guessing that's something do to with resolution?
    Your Samsung 2253BW needs a progressive input ideally at native 1650x1050 resolution and 60 Hz frame rate. Your tuner has several output modes but for progressive only 576p50 and 720p50.

1st test. Set tuner for 1280x720p 50Hz and see if it works. Since the Samsung is a 16:10 monitor, expect the picture to be stretched a bit tall. I'm assuming here HDMI to DVI-D connection. Dual link adds nothing but is OK to use.

If that works, the monitor is upscaling 1280x720 to 1680x1050. Don't expect great quality. The monitor may still reject 50Hz.

If that doesn't work, try the 720x576 mode.

I also tried the SCART out, to an old tv my parents had, and that works just fine.. So then i tried buying a SCART->VGA adapter, but when i plug that in, i just get a black screen, and sound.. But not black screen as in no signal, because if i remove the SCART from the DVB box, the screen says "check input" but as soon as i plug it in, it disappears and just goes completely black..
    SCART RGB is not VGA and again may be rejected as 50Hz. Maybe an SCART expert knows a trick.
    Last edited by edDV; 23rd Dec 2011 at 21:36.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply! I'm currently trying to figure out just how to adjust those settings, couldn't find them anywhere in the menu of the DVB-T receiver..
    Just another question, 576p50, does the "50" refer to the hz? because if so, i'm not sure my monitor does that? As i can read from the specs, it's only 60 hz capable? Or doesn't that matter in this case?

Thanks for the help though!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dr-Ludvig View Post
    Thanks for the reply! I'm currently trying to figure out just how to adjust those settings, couldn't find them anywhere in the menu of the DVB-T receiver..
    Just another question, 576p50, does the "50" refer to the hz? because if so, i'm not sure my monitor does that? As i can read from the specs, it's only 60 hz capable? Or doesn't that matter in this case?

Thanks for the help though!
    Yes Hz and it matters. The menus should be in the DVB-T box somewhere or possible external switches. The only way to tell if the monitor will accept 50Hz progressive is to try it.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello again!

So, i borrowed a friends TV, and got into the menu of my box, and changed the output to 720p50hz. I then plugged in my samsung monitor, and it works!.. for a minute, then it just goes black again.. If i then unplug the HDMI->DVI cable and plug it in again, it works again, for a minute and then same story all over again..
    Does anybody have an idea what could cause that?? I've tried with/without HDCP, same result..
    This is really beginning to annoy me, because now i know my screen CAN actually display the signal, atleast for a minute at a time..

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello again!

So, i borrowed a friends TV, and got into the menu of my box, and changed the output to 720p50hz. I then plugged in my samsung monitor, and it works!.. for a minute, then it just goes black again.. If i then unplug the HDMI->DVI cable and plug it in again, it works again, for a minute and then same story all over again..
    Does anybody have an idea what could cause that?? I've tried with/without HDCP, same result..
    This is really beginning to annoy me, because now i know my screen CAN actually display the signal, atleast for a minute at a time..

Thanks in advance!
    Getting close, that is if possible at all. Good job getting to 720p50 output. Now the issues settle on the monitor. Several things may be going on.

I've tried with/without HDCP, same result.
    How are you doing that? HDCP is usually automatic. Most cable boxes or digital tuners require a continuous HDCP handshake to continue HD video output. Failing to achieve a continuous handshake, the box switches itself back to standard def interlace which your monitor can't receive.

Did you try standard def 720x576p50? That may not require an HDCP handshake. There is no way your monitor is going to accept interlace.

If it isn't an HDCP issue, the monitor may simply be rejecting 50Hz frame rates by design. This is true with all North American Samsung monitors or HDTV sets because Samsung doesn't want those to operate in "PAL" areas. This is a tax issue. Most "PAL" areas particularly Europe have steep hidden VAT taxes. By comparison, USA/Canada prices look cheap. Samsung* doesn't want Europeans buying monitors or TV sets from the North American market so they block 50Hz.

Another issue is laws regarding TV set licensing (e.g. in the UK). If 50Hz is excluded, a monitor cannot be used as a TV thus avoids the license fee.

* Don't fully blame Samsung. US laws and distribution contracts prohibit re-export and European laws may hold Samsung liable for uncollected taxes. As usual, government polices can drive consumer product specifications.
    Last edited by edDV; 8th Jan 2012 at 15:00.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello again!

Thanks in advance!
    Getting close, that is if possible at all. Good job getting to 720p50 output. Now the issues settle on the monitor. Several things may be going on.

I've tried with/without HDCP, same result.
    How are you doing that? HDCP is usually automatic. Most cable boxes require an HDCP handshake to continue video output. Failing to achieve a continuous handshake, the cable box switches itself back to standard def interlace which you monitor can't receive.
    In the menu of the box, there's a field where you can turn HDCP on/off, however, when it's turned off, you loose the ability to watch coded programs, and as such only the otherwise freely available channels can be watched..
    But still after a minute or so of viewing, it just goes black..

I've now even tried borrowing another DVBT box, from another company, and the same happens, so it must be something to do with the monitor right? It just doesn't make alot of sense, as it's obviously capable of showing the signal..

And i really don't have the money to throw after a regular TV -.- So any suggestions as to just what in the hell is going on? O.o

Did you try standard def 720x576p? That may not require an HDCP handshake. There is no way your monitor is going to accept interlace.

If it isn't an HDCP issue, the monitor may simply be rejecting 50Hz frame rates by design. This is true with all North American Samsung monitors or HDTV sets because Samsung doesn't want those to operate in "PAL" areas. This is a tax issue. Most "PAL" areas particularly Europe have steep hidden VAT taxes. By comparison, USA/Canada prices look cheap. Samsung doesn't want Europeans buying monitors or TV sets from the North American market so block 50Hz.

Another issue is laws regarding TV set licensing (e.g. in the UK). If 50Hz is excluded, a monitor cannot be used as a TV thus avoids the license fee.
    572p gives the same result..

I was thinking about 50hz aswell, but if that was the case, i wouldn't think the monitor would be able to display the signal at all? doesn't make sense that it shows it for a minute, and then cuts off? I would suppose that was an either/or?
    And again with law and what not, wouldn't it then just not display anything at all? Or is this one minute of viewing the time it takes before it discovers that it shouldn't display this, and then shuts off? That just seems like an awfully long time..

But i'm thinking i might just have to give up on this idea.. It just seems so silly, when obviously the monitor CAN actually display the signal..
    Last edited by Dr-Ludvig; 8th Jan 2012 at 14:37.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Time to call Samsung and ask. You have enough data to ask them specific questions.

The only additional reason I can think of for the one minute delay, is to allow users an escape from 50Hz menus. If the monitor rejected all 50Hz, you would need a second monitor to switch set-top box or computer display card menus back to 60 Hz..
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi edDV,

I've been reading over this thread and I think I have a grasp on what is possible and what is not. I just wanted to double check with you before I go ahead and spend some money.

I am trying to connect a DVD player (component out) to a HDCP supported computer monitor (DVI-D in). Is this possible? If so, will the image be horribly skewed?

Also, will the audio carry through the component to DVI-D cable? If it doesn't do you have any recommendations on how to utilize the 5.1-channel audio output for sound in headphones?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nothing to do with this thread or connecting to a DVD player. Start a new thread.
    Last edited by edDV; 17th Jan 2012 at 22:23.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well yeah I was curious if you had any insight to the issue I posted about above. I am not interested in hooking up a cable box to a computer monitor. Can you direct me to a better thread if this one is not appropriate?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Akastn20 View Post
    Well yeah I was curious if you had any insight to the issue I posted about above. I am not interested in hooking up a cable box to a computer monitor. Can you direct me to a better thread if this one is not appropriate?
    Start one. This is the DVB/HDTV forum. The issues differ for DVD players.

Best place to ask your question is the DVD player forum. State the model numbers of player and monitor.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/forums/16-DVD-Blu-ray-Players
    Last edited by edDV; 18th Jan 2012 at 11:17.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I have read the thread in its entirety and am still confused as to why I am not able to hook up my box.

I have a Samsung syncmaster 940 bw, I checked the specs online and it says it's HDCP compatible. Comcast came today and gave me an Hd-Dvr box. I have a dvi-d cable plugged into the monitor and hdmi going to the box. The box works, I get sound(running through a different cable) but the screen says "not optimum mode, recommended mode 1440x900 60 hz." The cable box is set to 1080i and I have no idea how to change it.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks so much
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Meganv25 View Post
    I have read the thread in its entirety and am still confused as to why I am not able to hook up my box.

I have a Samsung syncmaster 940 bw, I checked the specs online and it says it's HDCP compatible. Comcast came today and gave me an Hd-Dvr box. I have a dvi-d cable plugged into the monitor and hdmi going to the box. The box works, I get sound(running through a different cable) but the screen says "not optimum mode, recommended mode 1440x900 60 hz." The cable box is set to 1080i and I have no idea how to change it.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks so much
    That message is coming from the monitor. It doesn't like the source format.

A computer monitor cannot accept interlace source. It also has very crude scaling compared to an LCD-TV. A computer monitor wants to be fed progressive video at its native resolution and at 60Hz . That is normally done in a computer display chipset.

Your Samsung 940bw has a native resolution of 1440x900. Cable boxes usually offer choice of 1080i/720p/480p/480i all at 60Hz (fields or frames). The highest progressive choice is 1280x720p. That should work for the 940bw but the monitor needs to upscale that to 1440x900 to fill the screen. As said computer monitors have poor scalers (that is why they are so cheap) so expect the picture quality to be poor. Also expect poor black level performance from a computer monitor.

Cable boxes differ for setting output resolution. You can call tech support or download the manual for your particular box. The older boxes (e.g. Motorola) have separate settings for 16:9 HD and 4:3 SD. For a computer monitor, you would set these to 720p and 480p. Some newer boxes have a so called "native" mode where each channel is sent at its native resolution and frame rate. That setting won't work for a computer monitor since it can't directly accept interlace video.
    Last edited by edDV; 18th Jan 2012 at 07:15.
    Quote Quote