VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    What's considered one of the best free burning software that is reliable with little to no problems? I want to burn several MP4 1080i video files so i can watch them on my Blu-ray player for future viewing.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here we go again...

Are you looking for software able to burn 1080i MP4 files to a BD-R as-is to play with a Blu-ray player which has the ability to play such MP4 files? ...or are you looking for free Blu-ray authoring software able to convert 1080i MP4 files for compatibility with the Blu-ray standard, then use the converted files to produce Blu-ray files and folders, and finally burn the Blu-ray files and folders to a BD-R that is playable on any Blu-ray player?
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Apologies in advance..

The former, yes. Basically a software that will burn those files as-is without having to convert them to another format which in turn will result in loss of quality.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Master Tape View Post
    Apologies in advance..

The former, yes. Basically a software that will burn those files as-is without having to convert them to another format which in turn will result in loss of quality.
    I've been using ImgBurn to do the same thing for TS files recorded from a PC TV tuner card for years.

Note that it is possible that the Blu-ray player will refuse to play some individual files for various reasons that have nothing to do with whether or not the burning software did its job correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    MP4 isn't BluRay. If you want mp4 videos on a BluRay optical disc, you burn the mp4 as "data", not as DB format. Just because a video is 1080i and is on a BluRay optical disc doesn't mean that a BluRay player can play it. Your average BestBuy player or tv won't play data burned to BluRay discs -- when you insert a BluRay disc they expect BD format, not mp4. Such players and smart tv's aren't that smart and will usually play mp4 only from a USB stick.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    MP4 isn't BluRay. If you want mp4 videos on a BluRay optical disc, you burn the mp4 as "data", not as DB format. Just because a video is 1080i and is on a BluRay optical disc doesn't mean that a BluRay player can play it. Your average BestBuy player or tv won't play data burned to BluRay discs -- when you insert a BluRay disc they expect BD format, not mp4. Such players and smart tv's aren't that smart and will usually play mp4 only from a USB stick.
    That depends on the Blu-ray player. The inexpensive LG Blu-ray player I bought for my parents in 2012 does play the same file formats from BD-R and USB. It is likely that any Blu-ray player made by LG in the past few years will play MP4 files burned as data on a BD-R, but they might not play every type and combination of video and audio supported by that container, and some video encoding options may not be supported.

[Edit]I thought both LG and Samsung Blu-ray players played video files on BD-R, but I was mistaken. When I checked the manual for a recent Samsung model, I found that wasn't the case.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th May 2018 at 14:08.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I've downloaded ImgBurn and burned the first data disc, but yes my Sony S550 player doesn't recognise the file as don't my PS3 or PS4. It's fine though as those files i needed to backup elsewhere as was running out of space on my hard drive to store them. For shows i really want to watch back on my tv, i guess i'll have to write the image to disc instead of the files/folders. Hopefully it turns out ok!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    -Delete-

Sorry wrong forum!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Also is there a way to downscale the video files without losing any quality? The reason i ask is that many of the shows i've recorded are SD 576i, but my Youview HD+ box upscales everything to 1080i which just adds artifacts and creates bigger file sizes. As would be good to fit more episodes on the one disc.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Freemake does do what you want regardless the extra junk it comes with. I've used it and it will create what you want.
    Quote Quote