VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    Away with the crappy old flash videos, HTML5 is for the stay!

VP9 here we come!

And please YouTube, totally decommission flash soon, I don't think I can deal with those people who will still be insisting on using flash 10 years down the road.

VP9, support open and royalty free!

Quote Quote  
  2. Flash is crap, but it's a bit premature. They still need to do lots of work to speed up VP9 decoding. It's very stuttery in some browsers and devices. There is no GPU or HW acceleration in devices yet.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you don't like Flash then use ffmpeg to put the contents into a mp4 container (where they should be in the first place). I would rather have the videos in a format that my devices will support instead of some new proprietary format.

Google is getting pretty pushy these days. They don't want you downloading anything from youtube. If you use Chrome, none of the addons for downloading youtube videos will install. You have to either use a third party software like "Quick Youtube Downloader" or use a different browser that can use youtube extensions.

Code:
    for %%a in ("*.flv") do ffmpeg -i %%a -vcodec copy -acodec copy %%~na.mp4
    pause
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
    If you don't like Flash then use ffmpeg to put the contents into a mp4 container (where they should be in the first place). I would rather have the videos in a format that my devices will support instead of some new proprietary format.
    The ignorance radiates from the screen.

HTML5 is a W3C standard without any royalties and patents.

Also Google is pushing VP9, which is, unlike H.265, an open standard and royalty free.
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Flash is crap, but it's a bit premature. They still need to do lots of work to speed up VP9 decoding. It's very stuttery in some browsers and devices. There is no GPU or HW acceleration in devices yet.
    This.

Google is getting pretty pushy these days. They don't want you downloading anything from youtube. If you use Chrome, none of the addons for downloading youtube videos will install. You have to either use a third party software like "Quick Youtube Downloader" or use a different browser that can use youtube extensions.
    Other options (for the Gay-U.I. addicts): Chromium and ChromOpera
    (unless things have changed too much lately ).

Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    The ignorance radiates from the screen.

HTML5 is a W3C standard without any royalties and patents.

Also Google is pushing VP9, which is, unlike H.265, an open standard and royalty free.
    What's the point of being a W3C standard and whatever, if it suxxx
    (Remember, Ogg sucks, Theora sucks, and in fact, the whole On2 legacy suxxx,
    according to the wise words of Fiona Glaser).

Also, by now the W3C people are just cogs in the big machine of certain megacorporations,
    therefore, how good is that?
    Quote Quote  
  6. VP9 is pretty good - it doesn't "suck" like the way theora etc.. sucked. It just needs more work especially on decoding and better HW support, (and encoding speed - it is VERY slow). But the big names like Intel, Nvidia have officially signed on, so it's just a matter of time.

If you look at current YT videos, and download the AVC vs. VP9 version, they usually allocate significantly less bitrate to the VP9 versions, but the quality is actually pretty close - slightly better in some areas for AVC, slightly better in others for VP9. But the playback is consistently choppy on many platforms / devices for VP9. What good is internet video, if you constantly drop frames ? But it will be good once the bugs are ironed out and HW support is more common
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    What's the point of being a W3C standard and whatever, if it suxxx
    (Remember, Ogg sucks, Theora sucks, and in fact, the whole On2 legacy suxxx,
    according to the wise words of Fiona Glaser).

Also, by now the W3C people are just cogs in the big machine of certain megacorporations,
    therefore, how good is that?
    True, the number of stuffy old engineers sent to those standard committees is alarming.

However the multi-media capability has been severely lacking for decades now in the WC3 standard.
    At least we have something better now than proprietary plugins.

Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    But the playback is consistently choppy on many platforms / devices for VP9. What good is internet video, if you constantly drop frames ? But it will be good once the bugs are ironed out and HW support is more common
    Moore's law will catch up with it before we can say ah.

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    And please YouTube, totally decommission flash soon, I don't think I can deal with those people who will still be insisting on using flash 10 years down the road.
    Oh come on. Are you taunting on purpose?! Of course there are thousands of devices/computers that struggle with HTML5/VP9, so Flash won't die anytime soon. And that's good – I still want to be able to watch videos on YouTube on my old computer and not just my new one.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Skiller View Post
    Oh come on. Are you taunting on purpose?! Of course there are thousands of devices/computers that struggle with HTML5/VP9, so Flash won't die anytime soon. And that's good – I still want to be able to watch videos on YouTube on my old computer and not just my new one.
    Well, Firefox is a good example:

Firefox used to be a good browser with great support. The last few yeas support went down the drain. Even obvious bugs were received with idiotic replies that would even shame a "Just reinstall Windows" AOL 90's support person. I stopped reporting bugs a long time ago because I do did want to waste my time seeing those bugs getting the runaround for years on.

Mediasource extensions have been on the "will address soon" list for ages. Yes sure, will address soon!
    I tell you, it won't happen, unless there is pressure.

And you know what, you watch, if youtube blocks Flash, it it will be there in a jiffy!

As always you got to give people intensives to upgrade or fix things otherwise they won't.

You keep flash, you will be stick with it for another 20 years. I am not saying to stop it tomorrow but it would be great to give a timeline and a final date.

Last edited by newpball; 18th Feb 2015 at 18:36.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by newpball View Post

And you know what, you watch, if youtube blocks Flash, it it will be there in a jiffy!
    They can't stop "cold turkey" . They will lose money. Their business model is based on ad revenue, click rates etc... when suddenly a large number stops "clicking" , fewer advertisements are shown - they start making less money . (And a large part of the world STILL hasn't made the transition to HTML5)

As always you got to give people intensives to upgrade or fix things otherwise they won't.
    "incentive"

Exactly! Right now there is no incentive to use VP9, other than being royalty free (that isn't relevant for most YT users anyways), and slightly better compression. But right now, there are more "cons" than "pros" . The "slightly better compression" is used to justify them lowering the bitrate. So it looks basically the same if you ignore the playback problems on some platforms. Now if they used the same bitrates as they currently use for AVC, then you might make a case for "incentive." Maybe it's good for some users, who are on dial up or live in the boonies and don't have broadband access. I'm all for forward progress, but only when the time is right
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 18th Feb 2015 at 18:00.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes vp9 gives good quality at low bitrates, but currently it is slow as snails to encode. ffmpeg can encode, but it is not optomised yet. It only uses 1 core and only about 25% of it at that.
    Last edited by racer-x; 21st Feb 2015 at 03:46.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    Yes vp9 gives good quality at low bitrates, but currently it is slow as snails to encode. ffmpeg can encode, but it is not optomised yet. It only uses 1 core and only about 25% of it at that.

Here is a quick vp9 example of an animation I made recently. All components were made in Paint.NET, then animated in Aviutl and encoded via ffmpeg.
    Nice Racer!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't see this as good news. I'm no fan of flash, but I don't agree with the decision of dropping H.264 for VP9.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Same here. Dropping flash is one thing but dropping H.264 is another. H.264 can be decoded in hardware on almost all platforms. VP9 is purely decoded in software and, being more complex then H.264 takes more CPU power, more battery and is not universally supported.

Yes, it is royalty free but why do we, as users care about that? We don't pay for royalty taxes so we can use whatever suit best for us.

About quality, VP9 might be better for producing blurry image but it is not really good at grain and small detail retention. So, we won't get better quality from Youtube videos, just smaller bitrate and more electric bill due to more CPU power for decoding.

BTW, they reverted back changes on Youtube. Firefox defaults to flash again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    We may not care about royalty free, but Google does. They are the ones liable for royalties. What we like doesn't really matter, only what the like does...
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search PM
    Looks like Firefox 37.0 now fully supports YouTube over HTML5

Of course control c to the clipboard of the embed code does not work but I suppose you can't win em all (right click and copy is the workaround).

Embedding HTML5 videos in vBulletin does not seem to work yet.

Last edited by newpball; 26th Feb 2015 at 03:36.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's strange that I uploaded my VP9 video clip and youtube re-encoded it to AVC. I would've thought they would've left it as VP9..............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHXlFIqTxfw
    Last edited by racer-x; 26th Feb 2015 at 17:37.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search PM
    It's strange that I uploaded my VP9 video clip and youtube re-encoded it to AVC. I would've thought they would've left it as VP9..............

Interesting, doesn't it currently only do Vp9 for 4K?

You could try 1440/60p to 'force' VP9
    Last edited by newpball; 26th Feb 2015 at 18:16.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Skiller View Post
    [Oh come on. Are you taunting on purpose?!
    Yes, he is. This is why some of the people here are now convinced he's just a troll. At first he seemed to really want to help people but not any more.

He does have a point though that the end of Flash is very likely a good thing.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    We may not care about royalty free, but Google does. They are the ones liable for royalties. What we like doesn't really matter, only what the like does...
    I'm not saying you're wrong here or that royalties aren't some component, but remember that Apple has been anti-Flash for many years now. The royalty part isn't helping to convince Google to love it, but that's not the main reason here. If it was really only about the money, it would have been gotten rid of years ago. There are various technical reasons to dislike Flash even if it was free to use.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    I'm not saying you're wrong here or that royalties aren't some component, but remember that Apple has been anti-Flash for many years now. The royalty part isn't helping to convince Google to love it, but that's not the main reason here. If it was really only about the money, it would have been gotten rid of years ago. There are various technical reasons to dislike Flash even if it was free to use.
    You need to learn a thing or two about business. It's always about money.............
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post

Youtube re-encodes everything, no matter what format/codec/bitrate/resolution you used. And because AVC is still the most compatible codec YT will re-encode stream into AVC first.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Who else is repeated like my problem?
    No buttons on the player on the first page (HTML5), when they appear on YouTube. I use Win10x64 and FireFox 44 .
    Example > http://politikus.ru/video/71510-chp-rassledovanie-dolzhniki-gosdepa.html
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Должники.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	35995
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Должники 2.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	35996
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!