VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am ready to pull my hair out. I have been making test captures of 8mm tape with a Hauppauge USB610, VDub, and GraphStudio. I am feeding the signal through a Panasonic ES-15. I had the brightness and contrast finally dialed-in, and I was making one last tweak to the color.

When I went to make that one final test capture, the result was suddenly way to dark. I double checked my settings, and even made another test with the previous settings. Everything is now way too dark, and I don't know why. Even the "default" settings are now way too dark.

The only difference in workflow that I notice, is that GraphStudio no longer saves my previous proc-amp settings. I now have to readjust the settings, every time that I start GraphStudio. Did I change something without knowing it? is the software corrupted? Is the problem in Vdub? Is it possible that I have a bad capture card? Could it be tape wear, from playing the same video clip too many times?
    Last edited by anachronon; 13th May 2021 at 18:47.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You should make the proc amp settings in Graphstudio with the capture SW running, and possibly just after you started the capture, because depending on the capture SW (Vdub or whatever) the proc amp setting may be reset when you start the recording.
    Try AmaracTV instead of Vdub. It is nuch more reliable here under Windows 10 than Vdub or VDub2.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have been setting the proc-amp after starting capture. Also, I have been testing these captures on an old WinXP machine.
    Quote Quote  
  4. In your other thread you reported inconsistent black levels for the borders of commercial letterboxed DVD already. This was a strong indication that something is odd with your setup.
    I would try to trace down the culprit step by step:
    a. Reinstall the (Hauppauge) capture SW and drivers. Clear the Hauppage drivers beforehand with Hauppauge's HWclear.exe.
    b. Skip the ES15 (which you are using in passthrough mode as I understand) and connect the VCR directly to the capture device
    c. Try with AmarecTV as capture SW
    d. Try with a different VCR.
    Quote Quote  
  5. From what I can tell, this catastrophic failure was the result of memory overrun---causing corruption of the software. I was experimenting with captures on an old WinXP machine, that was built to do heavy lifting. I has a large, secondary HDD and 8G of RAM. But, it is old and slow (by today's standards). It seemed to struggle a bit with video capture. My only other option seems to be using my Win10 laptop, which is much faster, and has twice the memory. But, that means dealing with Win10 capture issues, and saving captures to either the same HDD as the OS, or to an external USB drive. This laptop does have a copy of the OS on a secondary SSD, in a RAID configuration. I don't know if this makes a difference. Right now, I am just so tired and frustrated with this fight.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    But, that means dealing with Win10 capture issues, and saving captures to either the same HDD as the OS
    On my machiene (Asus ZenBook UX530UX-FY033R, SSD Hard Drive) I do it without issue. The old days when I had on a Windows 98SE desktop or Windows XP desktop a second HDD that I formatted before any capture are gone
    But, as for the old days, disable wifi and internet connections, antiv virus, windows udates, notifications, etc... and terminate all unecessary process on the laptop

to an external USB drive
    Not a good idea, better to leave the USB managements doing only one task
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by anachronon View Post
    I has a large, secondary HDD and 8G of RAM. But, it is old and slow (by today's standards)..
    Hmm, how slow? I've done some captures on a p4 2.8 ghz machine with like 2.5 gb of ram and it worked fine as long as the hard drive wasn't struggling. On slighlty newer ones with like core 2 duo it should be no issue.
    Quote Quote  
  8. to an external USB drive
    Not a good idea, better to leave the USB managements doing only one task[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

On the speed of the XP machine, it is able to make captures to the Lagarith format. However, it is unable to play-back any of those test captures. The captures are good, as they play fine on my Win10 laptop. The slowness seems to be in the P4 processor, and not the HDD. Yes, everything unnecessary has been shut off. From doing some software development, I would say that VDub has a serious "memory leak" problem. After 3 or 4 captures tests, I have to reboot the machine, as the software simply stops working. I have yet to get AmerecTV to work on the XP machine.
    Quote Quote