VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ok just need a bit clarifying for me please

Got a avi file which according to gspot is 23.97 fps which is ntsc film so going through the wizard i select the ntsc film option second in the select format option of the vcd.

Load up my video file and audio then in other settings just change the video arrange method to full screen keep aspect ratio and start the process.

My main question is inverse telecline is checked what exactly is this and what is it doing to the film and when is it needed??

Also once converted to mpeg what would be the outcome if in nero i used pal as the region to write it to cd??

I ask because on a lot of movies i convert to vcd the movie is excellent except i get a very small frame jump or stutter which is fairly unoticeable by the human eye but is just detect able.

Please could someone clear this up for me
    Quote Quote  
  2. I asked a similar question a while back and got no answer. I'll attempt to answer it based on my limited understanding and hopefully someone will pick up upon any errors

The NTSC film option is used when your source is 23.976fps. It can also be selected when your source is an interlaced 29.97fps movie.

I believe "inverse telecline" is the process of taking an interlaced 29.97fps and turning it into a 23.976 progressive (none interlaced) source. I therfore conclude that as your source is already 23.976fps, you should uncheck this option.

If im wrong then let god strike me down dead!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the film is 23.976 fps should'nt you choose that as your frame rate before encoding. Then select 3:2 pulldown for playback in the encoding mode? From what I've read the feild order can make a difference with the jerkyness. So try changing that on your next encode and see if it helps?

If I'm not understanding your problem correctly, I'm sorry.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If your file is 23.976fps and you use the NTSC Film template the inverse telecine box should not be checked. If TMPGEnc is checking that box for you there's a problem somewhere, probably with a codec. I saw this happen when I was experimenting with the different codec packs. Another symptom I noticed that indicated there was a problem was in Media Player some files were reported as only being 1 or 2 minutes long when in fact they were much longer. A possible work around is to change the priority of the DirectShow File Reader in TMPGEnc up or down or just uncheck the inverse telecine box but to really fix it you'll need to completely remove the offending codecs and then reinstall only the ones you really need. I ended up settling on ffdshow and then k-lite for just a couple codecs and the tools like FourCC and Gspot.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Cheers guys for all the help and advice pretty much what i was thinking just needed it confiming never used thte 3:2 option but read alot about it.

Regarding the codec it could well be as the file started with Ac3 coded so maybe when i first load it into tmpgenc and it selects the avi for video and sound maybe its left over from that when i point the audio to my ripped and converted sound file.

Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    3:2 isn't valid for VCD. 3:2 isn't valid for a progressive encode. You have to convert the 23.97 progressive AVI to 29.97 Progressive VCD (which the wizard will do for you).
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't do the wizards but what you need to do here is
    set "do not framerate conversion"
    "23.976 internally 29.27"
    and "3:2 pulldown on playback"

this will produce a Telecined 29.97 MPEG2 suitable for DVD authoring
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by FOO
    "do not framerate conversion"
    I have never checked this box.
    And I can't say I've noticed any issues with my DVDs.
    Should I be making sure I check this for DVD-DVD conversions?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I too have TRIED to successfully convert a Divx to DVD. It came out excellent with AC3 sound, BUT, it does have that random jerkiness throughout the movie. Very small, but noticeable, especially to me. There has got to be a way to remove this. I have done everything, the 3:2 pulldown, tried both field order ways, fast motion encoding, slow(higher processing), everything!! Still get these minor 'flaws' throughout the movie when burnt to DVD. This is a 23.97 movie as well. Encoded it as progressive, not interlaced...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Think i can help you, i used to have the same problems you're having but after many attempts solved the problem.
    The best method for converting 23.97 divx/xvid into mpeg/mpeg2 is to first load the file into VirtualDub and under the audio menu select no audio and under the video menu select direct stream copy and at the top of that menu click on frame rate and change to 25 fps no under file menu save as avi.
    You have just made a file that is 25 fps pal format no audio.
    Now load this file into tmpgenc and select any template you want as long as it is pal, and convert it.
    After 1-2 hours you will have your mpeg/mpeg2 file. Go back tou your original file divx/xvid file and open it up again using virtual dub and this time in file menu save wav. Now use a program called besweet to convert the wav file from 23.97 -> 25 fps mp2 (wont go into detail but there are plenty of guides going around on how to do this). Once you have the converted audio it will now be the same frame rate as your mpeg/mpeg2 file with no audio.
    Open Tmpgenc again and go to file /mpeg tools and simple multiplex the audio and video together. Now if nothing has went wrong you will have a film that plays with no stutters. This works 100% as i have used it on over 100 films and the play great. If you do still get problems with jumping, stuttering use a program called divxrepair on the divx/xvid file before you do anything to it to make sure the source divx/xvid has no errors to begin with. Hope this helps. If you need anymore info I'll try to help.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Easy peezy. #1 it must be mpeg2 for this, and 480 or 576 vertical lines res.

#2 Under framerate choose 23.976 (29.970 internal)
    This will apply your pulldown.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Still might have problems using pull down with audio sync, think its best to separate audio from video and encode separately because tmpgenc doesn't do a good job at audio.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Pulldown has NO BEARING whatsoever with audio sync. Pulldown provides perfect sync. But I will agree that another encoder will be better for the audio. If mpeg audio you can configure tmpgenc to use toolame.exe for your audio , set this option in environmental settings>audio>external tool> i believe. Just brose to the toolame.exe file and you are good to go.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This issue came up recently in another thread so anyone that is still confused or would like a more detailed explaination (with screen pics from TMPGEnc) might want to take a look at this thread:

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=209940

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Nokiaman1978
    Think i can help you, i used to have the same problems you're having but after many attempts solved the problem.
    The best method for converting 23.97 divx/xvid into mpeg/mpeg2 is to first load the file into VirtualDub and under the audio menu select no audio and under the video menu select direct stream copy and at the top of that menu click on frame rate and change to 25 fps no under file menu save as avi.
    You have just made a file that is 25 fps pal format no audio.
    Now load this file into tmpgenc and select any template you want as long as it is pal, and convert it.
    After 1-2 hours you will have your mpeg/mpeg2 file. Go back tou your original file divx/xvid file and open it up again using virtual dub and this time in file menu save wav. Now use a program called besweet to convert the wav file from 23.97 -> 25 fps mp2 (wont go into detail but there are plenty of guides going around on how to do this). Once you have the converted audio it will now be the same frame rate as your mpeg/mpeg2 file with no audio.
    Open Tmpgenc again and go to file /mpeg tools and simple multiplex the audio and video together. Now if nothing has went wrong you will have a film that plays with no stutters. This works 100% as i have used it on over 100 films and the play great. If you do still get problems with jumping, stuttering use a program called divxrepair on the divx/xvid file before you do anything to it to make sure the source divx/xvid has no errors to begin with. Hope this helps. If you need anymore info I'll try to help.
    Ok, so how do I modify this 'procedure' to work for my DVD player? I am in the U.S. with NTSC DVD players....Do I just change the frame rate to 29.97 in Virtual Dub to start off with, and then encode to MPEG2 as 23.97(29.97 internally) with 3:2 pulldown in TMPGENC?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by acribb
    Ok, so how do I modify this 'procedure' to work for my DVD player? I am in the U.S. with NTSC DVD players....Do I just change the frame rate to 29.97 in Virtual Dub to start off with, and then encode to MPEG2 as 23.97(29.97 internally) with 3:2 pulldown in TMPGENC?
    Nokiaman1978 posted about how to change from progressive 23.976fps NTSC to PAL

It's not a detailed enough description for me to know if he truely understands what he is doing but it sounds like he got the basics right.

However ... nowhere in this thread has anyone but him said anything about NTSC to PAL conversion.

So basically he just has confused everything.

This thread started out with a question on how to properly encode a progressive 23.976fps NTSC source to NTSC VCD

So to acribb or anyone else reading this ... please ignore what Nokiaman1978 had to say as it simply does not apply here.

He is talking about something COMPLETEY DIFFERENT

P.S.
    acribb ... please describe again in more detail what it is you are trying to do and what it is that is confusing you so I or someone else can offer some help.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by FulciLives
    Nokiaman1978 posted about how to change from progressive 23.976fps NTSC to PAL

It's not a detailed enough description for me to know if he truely understands what he is doing but it sounds like he got the basics right.

However ... nowhere in this thread has anyone but him said anything about NTSC to PAL conversion.

So basically he just has confused everything.

This thread started out with a question on how to properly encode a progressive 23.976fps NTSC source to NTSC VCD

So to acribb or anyone else reading this ... please ignore what Nokiaman1978 had to say as it simply does not apply here.

He is talking about something COMPLETEY DIFFERENT

P.S.
    acribb ... please describe again in more detail what it is you are trying to do and what it is that is confusing you so I or someone else can offer some help.
    Ok, I actually think Nokiaman is on to something. I am having the same problems just like the first post at the beginning of this thread. I follow the instructions you link to above (https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=209940) to the letter. I get the 'random', 'sporadic' jerkiness spoken about in the first post. I want to be rid of it. I want to be able to convert my downloaded divx into smooth flowing DVD video playable on NTSC DVD players. I don't like this 'sub-par' conversion that is happening with me, and apparently also to a lot of others as well. I have seen numerous threads detailing this problem in one form or another. No one seems to have a definitive answer. I for one have digressed to just downloading straight DVD and not worrying about all this conversion crap because it just DOESN'T WORK! It works but not PERFECTLY! If anyone has the 'Procedure' for doing this correctly, i'm all ears! It would be much nicer and quicker to be able to download Divx's as they are much smaller files. You can get DVD quality out of them if you know how to do it CORRECTLY. Again, this is in reference to a Divx -> DVD conversion. I realize the original poster was referring to a Divx -> VCD, but the same concept applies no matter what you are converting to in my opinion - the same underlying theme is out there - Stutters, jerkiness, jumps, etc. Please somebody help! Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Also, the original Divx plays PERFECTLY, so I don't think the source material is the problem. No bad frames or anything like that. This is definitely some kind of conversion issue. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    *sigh*

I give up.

bye.

Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by FulciLives
    *sigh*

I give up.

bye.

All i'm asking for here is a little help. Are you successful every time you download and convert a high quality Divx to DVD? Do you not get the random jitters/jerky motion throughout the movie when played in a stand-alone DVD player? I have followed your suggested methods and the ones in the Divx to DVD guides as well, with no success. I always get some kind of imperfections. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    *sigh*

I give up.

bye.

All i'm asking for here is a little help. Are you successful every time you download and convert a high quality Divx to DVD? Do you not get the random jitters/jerky motion throughout the movie when played in a stand-alone DVD player? I have followed your suggested methods and the ones in the Divx to DVD guides as well, with no success. I always get some kind of imperfections. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    I've never had the problems that you are having. Never.

I have seen my fair share of shit ass quality DivX files though. Nothing you can really do about those.

I barely hardly ever download such stuff anymore. It's just not worth it. Files get corrupted too easily on P2P networks even if the file was A-OK to begin with.

Quote Quote  
  22. I don't know about anyone else, but using tmpgenc I have never been able to do frame rate conversions without getting "jerky" video as a result. The effect is not always noticable and actually some people don't see it. I have tried every single combination of settings (I am not kidding) but was never EVER able to do say a 25fps to 23.976fps convert in tmpgenc without video motion glitches. I came to the conclusion that tmpgenc just does not handle the frame rate conversion properly.

I gave up on tmpgenc for converting PAL to NTSC (I seem to do this a lot.) I mainly use CCE which in conjunction with avisynth does 100% perfect frame rate conversions.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Ok from what ive read from here and other post

23.97 svcd needs 3:2 pulldown

vcd the 3:2 cannot be used and just has to be encoded as 23.97 to mpg then let the dvd take care of the rest is this correct
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by msdl28712
    Ok from what ive read from here and other post

23.97 svcd needs 3:2 pulldown

vcd the 3:2 cannot be used and just has to be encoded as 23.97 to mpg then let the dvd take care of the rest is this correct
    This is correct, 23.976 is a valid vcd framerate, the player will do the rest.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey,

Found these sites that explain what the 3:2 pulldown is and does if anyone is still wondering.

http://www.projectorpeople.com/tutorials/pulldown.asp

and

http://www.dlpstore.com/techguide/pulldown_1.asp?page=2
    Quote Quote