VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've tried googling this but can't find anything about it, or actually I cant get any results regarding this exact problem.
    So the problem is, I get a *.mkv file and watch it in Plex, Subtitles are always default on, it's beginning to become
    more and more problem, and the problem is that there is a subtitle file in those *.mkv files called
    Code:
    Unknown (Closed Captions)
    or
    English (Closed Captions)
    and they are either empty or contain missing letters and words, so completely useless.
    In VLC they show up, and often show up to 4 times.
    When I use tools like Mediainfo, MKVToolnix, gMKVExtractGui and Subtitle Edit I can only see the SRT subtitle, witch is the,
    correct one, but that closed captions one wont show up.
    In handbrake that subtitle shows up, usually as
    Code:
    English, Closed Caption [CC608]
    So my question is, what on earth are those completely useless subtitles and what might be the reason they are packed with the *.MKV files?
    Also, is there no other way to remove them without having to re-encode the *.MKV files with handbrake, and is there
    no option to force handbrake to not embed them by default?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To remove it, drop the file into MkvToolNix GUI, deselect the subs,
    write out the new file
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi davexnet, as I wrote above I can only see the SRT sub file and not the Closed Captioned one.
    Below is the same *.MKV file in each of the programs.
    [Attachment 63996 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 63998 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Open the file in Avidemux, leave audio and video to "copy" and choose mkv muxer.
    Write out the new file. Did the mysterious CC subtitles make it to the new file?

See if there is anything useful here
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3169910/can-ffmpeg-extract-closed-caption-data
    Last edited by davexnet; 25th Mar 2022 at 13:34.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    my guess would be the cc's were timed text (ttxt) and embedded into the mp4 before it was converted to mkv. you might have to demux the mkv and then use a a mp4 muxer to demux the parts. My MP4Box GUI might work.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Open the file in Avidemux, leave audio and video to "copy" and choose mkv muxer.
    Write out the new file. Did the mysterious CC subtitles make it to the new file?
    Yeah they did, I put the new video file into handbrake and the CC was there still.
    I also tried gMKVExtractGUI, extracted the audio and video only and remuxed them with
    mkvtoolnix-gui, the CC showed up in handbrake.
    But if I unselect that CC in handbrake and re encode the file, then the CC is removed.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    my guess would be the cc's were timed text (ttxt) and embedded into the mp4 before it was converted to mkv. you might have to demux the mkv and then use a a mp4 muxer to demux the parts. My MP4Box GUI might work.
    That still wont explain why on earth that sometimes the CC's are empty or are missing letters in words and even missing whole words.
    I found out that just re-encoding them removes the CC and is much less of a hassle.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    when you don't have a clue of who made or how it was made, you are asking for help with pirated material. it's not allowed here.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. You have CEA-608 closed captions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EIA-608
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEA-708

They are muxed within the video stream, not as a separate stream in the MKV file. ffmpeg can remove them.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/390217-Deleting-CEA-608-(EIA-608)-captions-from-a-...le#post2561602
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    when you don't have a clue of who made or how it was made, you are asking for help with pirated material. it's not allowed here.
    Those are show's that are showed in my country state TV, according to my country law, it's allowed to make copies from
    the TV for personal use, and allowed to lend to closest family members. Also it's allowed to download materials from the internet according to law
    but it's strictly forbidden to share materials trough the internet (Makes sense right?....)
    So instead for me to record the shows my self, I get them from another place with subtitles.
    So if that's not allowed here I apologise for that, I do buy all my BluRay's and rip them my self (which is also allowed according to our laws)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You have CEA-608 closed captions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EIA-608
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEA-708

They are muxed within the video stream, not as a separate stream in the MKV file. ffmpeg can remove them.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/390217-Deleting-CEA-608-(EIA-608)-captions-from-a-...le#post2561602
    Thank you very much, explains a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ARKansans View Post
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    I do buy all my BluRay's and rip them my self (which is also allowed according to our laws)
    That isn't actually true for the USA. Technically, breaking the copy protection on Blu-ray and DVD is illegal under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act and it is definitely illegal to produce or sell ripping software in the USA. However, as long as you don't share your rips or download someone else's rips from sharing sites you are unlikely to be caught.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by ARKansans View Post
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    I do buy all my BluRay's and rip them my self (which is also allowed according to our laws)
    That isn't actually true for the USA. Technically, breaking the copy protection on Blu-ray and DVD is illegal under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act and it is definitely illegal to produce or sell ripping software in the USA. However, as long as you don't share your rips or download someone else's rips from sharing sites you are unlikely to be caught.
    Well I've no idea how USA laws work, but I'm in Iceland and follow Icelandic laws. We are allowed to make copies off our media, as when we purchase the
    media it becomes our property. The copies are then used instead of the original media to preserve the original media, as scratches are
    impossible to avoid, especially with kids around. And ofcourse sharing/selling/giving etc. is against the laws (except for the closest family member, which is a grey zone btw)
    I do understand why you thought I was from USA, because of my name, but the name is arrived from the PC game ARK and ansans is an icelandic word.
    And believe me I don't share my media anywhere, the media is costly for me and there are already far better rips out there easily accessible then I have at home.
    Quote Quote