VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello! I have a Kendo VR5442-02 VCR from the late 90s. Inside, the circuit board is labelled (Daewoo) DV-K879D, for which I found a service manual but which unfortunately doesn't go into the mechanical aspect.

[Attachment 56576 - Click to enlarge]

From the knowledge I've gained over the last few months, it generally seems to be in good shape. It does however have issues when rewinding a tape. I first replaced the belt (replaced with a square belt 74,5 mm diameter, 2 x 2 mm, in case someone else with the same machine should find this post). That did seem to improve things as it now seems to work as it should when rewinding commercial tapes (I guess they are shorter lengths, like 120 min), but when I try to rewind 240 min-tapes (of which I have many) the tape starts to skid downwards the pinch roller and ultimately the tape gets mashed (unless I'm quick enough to stop the VCR before).

[Attachment 56578 - Click to enlarge]

The pinch roller is pretty shiny and feels smooth to the touch, so I'm leaning towards that it doesn't get enough traction on the longer tapes and needs to be replaced. However, I'm unsure where to find a replacement. I managed to access the pinch roller and measure it.

Height: 17 mm
    Diameter: 15 mm
    Inner diameter top: 6 mm
    Inner diameter bottom: 7 mm

[Attachment 56579 - Click to enlarge]

What puzzles me is how the pinch roller looks inside, with 2 different inner diameters and some kind of separator inside it. When mounted, it has a white plastic piece on top of it which holds it in place. Does other pinch rollers look like this or is this a custom variant?

[Attachment 56580 - Click to enlarge]

What are my options? Suggestions are most appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. That is normal pinch roller construction.

To figure out whether the pinch roller is your problem, you might want to first apply some rubber rejuvenator. It is not a permanent fix, but it often temporarily restores enough pliability to the rubber that it will function normally for awhile.

If you find that you get an improvement and want to replace the part, there are places which rebuild pinch rollers, idler wheels, etc. However, it is usually a $50-80 investment.

There must be some repository of parts somewhere from all the service shops that used to repair VCRs. I was looking for a PE turntable idler wheel a month ago and could only find the rebuild services, but you may have more luck with your part.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This parts shop is not far from me, it may be a good resource.
    https://www.smcelectronics.com/smcad1.htm
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the replies. I researched video pinch rollers some more and by figuring that the correct inner diameter is likely 3mm (not in the opening but in the center), I've ordered one from a german seller on ebay (as I'm located in Europe) for around 15 euro in total.

If that part ultimately doesn't work out, I'll have to think if I want to try a pinch roller rebuild service (I've only found one in the US so far).

Otherwise if I can't easily fix it, my thought is to buy a better VCR, one which has better documentation and repair parts. I don't know if Daewoo is even considered any good or not, but besides the aged rubber parts it seems to work fine and it's just a VCR I've inherited.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Daewoo is a disposable player.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by autoreverse View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I researched video pinch rollers some more and by figuring that the correct inner diameter is likely 3mm (not in the opening but in the center), I've ordered one from a german seller on ebay (as I'm located in Europe) for around 15 euro in total.
    You really should use the rubber rejuvinator. It will tell you if you the pinch roller is really the problem. Tape can also move up or down, and then get crinkled, because of misalignment. The new part won't solve that problem.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    You really should use the rubber rejuvinator. It will tell you if you the pinch roller is really the problem. Tape can also move up or down, and then get crinkled, because of misalignment. The new part won't solve that problem.
    Ah okay, that is indeed a possibility. My logic of thinking is that the pinch roller looks glazed and feels hardened and needs to be replaced anyway (I found a visual guide here: https://fixyouraudio.com/instructions/pinch-rollers/ ). I don't own and haven't found a rubber rejuvenator-product in the EU so far (I'm sure it exists though) and from what I can tell it's some pretty toxic stuff and would cost me about the same as getting the new pinch roller (from the US-prices that I've found). So if it's only a temporary fix, I may be better off with a new pinch roller. Then to learn if it really fits and figuring out if it indeed is the problem or something else.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by autoreverse View Post
    I don't own and haven't found a rubber rejuvenator-product in the EU so far (I'm sure it exists though) and from what I can tell it's some pretty toxic stuff and would cost me about the same as getting the new pinch roller (from the US-prices that I've found).
    I thought about that just after I posted. The EU definitely has the strictist controls in the world over what products can be used.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Well, here's an update - the part came in the mail a few days ago and I also figured out that I only need to remove 3 screws in total to get the machine open and access the pinch roller (a lot easier than when accessed the last time). Even though the inner part is different (if you give the original part a spin, it spins for probably 30 seconds, this one less than a second), the pinch roller still fits and the rubber is fresh - and that seems to make all the difference. Now I am able to rewind the tape without any trouble (in fact I rewinded all the tapes I had so I could store them properly) and have used the VHS for a few hours today. So it seems to be a success!
    Quote Quote  
  10. As I was asked about what replacement part I ordered, it's this one on eBay Germany.

Erdiba AR-700 Andruckrolle Pinch Roller f. Daewoo Philips SEG NOKIA VCR Recorder

(For the record, I bought a JVC SVHS-machine about 2 months later, which is a much better machine in general, so I haven't made much use of the Kendo/Daewoo-machine after that.)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks for the update! Glad you got it working.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    The pinch roller plays no role in rewinding and fast forwarding tapes, it is only needed for playback and some modes of fast search.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Dellsam34 is probably correct. I don't know about VCRs but on audio tape machines the pinch roller is only used during playing and recording, and moves out of the way completely during fast forward/reverse.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Will there be a day…20…30 years from now, in a dystopian dank world, survivors will be begging for a functional Daewoo?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    It doesn't hurt to have a low end spare VCR for looking through and rewinding tapes, But did it need the pinch roller? No. His rewinding issue will still be there 20...30 years from now.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by autoreverse View Post
    I don't own and haven't found a rubber rejuvenator-product in the EU so far (I'm sure it exists though) and from what I can tell it's some pretty toxic stuff and would cost me about the same as getting the new pinch roller (from the US-prices that I've found).
    Well, there is no issue in EU with such things - only EU is crippled as such product are not available in home depot stores (EU is sometimes decades behind US in terms of technology) - rubber rejuvenator are used in automotive to fix issues with squeaking belts and they are used in printing industry to rejuvenate rubber blankets used in offset printing. Search some company that offer printing materials - something like: https://www.printingsuppliesdirect.com/printing-chemistry/blanket-savers?zenid=j6o7559...ao209n2rm3v1r0 or search for spray to fix squeaking belt in cars...
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good that you found a new part!

Just for future reference, a small bottle of the rejuvenator stuff doesn't seem to cost a whole lot either: https://www.muellerbestellung.de/MG-Chemicals-Rubber-Renue-125-ml

Shipping via air I suppose may be an issue if this stuff is particularly volatile.
    Quote Quote